Just got my brand new 06 WRX Standard
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just got my brand new 06 WRX Standard within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So far I am having a blast with this car. Im a little bit nervous at the same time since ...

Just got my brand new 06 WRX Standard

So far I am having a blast with this car. Im a little bit nervous at the same time since it is my first manual car. I will post pics in a bit but for now i had a couple of questions i was hoping you guys could answer

1. I stalled the car about three times so far is that bad?

2. How bad is stalling for the car?

3. When i parked it in the garage after having gotten home from the dealership it smelled significantly like burnt rubber. Is that normal?

4. Everytime I upshift/downshift the car jerks a little bit, what can be done to avoid this?

I am looking foward to your guys's respnse and i'm glad to be a part of the community!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome & Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Juiced
    So far I am having a blast with this car. Im a little bit nervous at the same time since it is my first manual car. I will post pics in a bit but for now i had a couple of questions i was hoping you guys could answer

1. I stalled the car about three times so far is that bad?
    No, not for a n00b driver of stick

2. How bad is stalling for the car?
    It's not really going to hurt anything.

3. When i parked it in the garage after having gotten home from the dealership it smelled significantly like burnt rubber. Is that normal?
    I wouldn't sweat that unless it gets worse.

4. Everytime I upshift/downshift the car jerks a little bit, what can be done to avoid this?
    Learn to drive better. In other words learn to shift smoother, match RPMS with car speed, gear, etc. (This is probably worse when you run the A/C, no.)

I am looking foward to your guys's respnse and i'm glad to be a part of the community!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    1. If you never drove a manual then this isnt bad, if you never drove a manual with AWD then 3 times is great.

2. Stalling the car wont destroy it but non the less I wouldnt make a habbit out of it.

3. Parts of the car (exhaust) is coated with a film to prevent rust while transporting it. Odds are it's that smell you are getting as it's burning off. Should go away at around 600-1000 miles.

4. Welcome to Subaru's massive 1-2 gear change. It's near impossible to get it smooth without a ton of practice. Take your time switching gears and focus on getting the pull from 1st to 2nd almost straight back and you'll have a better time. Good luck
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

to your new car. Now, try and find a remote area and begin practicing your driving skills. Once you get the hang of it, it's second nature.

As for the stalling and rough shifting, as everyone has said, you will be OK. Also, just like 302@12psi mentions, the odor from the engine is typical for all new cars.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

it wont take u long to get use to it. welcome though. post some pics too.

Pics would be great.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Pics will be coming later in the day. But even though everyone says the smell is normal I can't help but feel a little bit worried about it heh, maybe since its a brand new car and my first stick shift i'm being paranoid, but who knows?

Congrats on the new car and welcome to the club.
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Pics will be coming later in the day. But even though everyone says the smell is normal I can't help but feel a little bit worried about it heh, maybe since its a brand new car and my first stick shift i'm being paranoid, but who knows?
    Are you burning the clutch a lot?

My advice would be to take the car on flat ground and let go of the clutch (very slowly) and don't hit the gas. There will be a point where the car will want to move, that's where the clutch engages. Learn that spot because that's where you need to give it gas. With time, you will be able to go right to that spot and give gas to move quickly.
    Car-less

Peachypumpkincheeks

+1 to what everyone said about the stalling/shifting. I probably stalled out about 22 times on my car in the first two weeks that I owned it. But no worries, now I'm awesome.

and Welcome to the Club!!!

Looking forward to pics!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    +1 to what everyone said about the stalling/shifting. I probably stalled out about 22 times on my car in the first two weeks that I owned it. But no worries, now I'm awesome.

and Welcome to the Club!!!

Looking forward to pics!

Did your car give off that odor too speedette?

And also when you guys reach a red light or stop sign do you shift your car into neutral or just leave it in first with the clutch all the way down?
    Last edited by Juiced; 07-09-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Did your car give off that odor too speedette?

And also when you guys reach a red light or stop sign do you shift your car into neutral or just leave it in first with the clutch all the way down?
    My car wasn't brand new (it's an '02 that I just bought in Oct.), but occasionally it will smell of burning clutch when I drive it hard.

I shift it into neutral when coming to a stop light/stop sign, but put it in 1st once i'm stopped.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    My car wasn't brand new (it's an '02 that I just bought in Oct.), but occasionally it will smell of burning clutch when I drive it hard.

I shift it into neutral when coming to a stop light/stop sign, but put it in 1st once i'm stopped.

But when waiting for the light to turn green when you are fully stopped are you in neutral until it turns green and then you go into first and go?

or are you in first with the clutch all the way down ready for the light to turn green?

But when waiting for the light to turn green when you are fully stopped are you in neutral until it turns green and then you go into first and go? Yes when there are primered hondas next to me.

or are you in first with the clutch all the way down ready for the light to turn green?
    Yes, when there is a Corvette Z06 next to me

I was told the whole clutch in and first thing at a stop light wears out your clutch badly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.