Greetings from a New Member, Impreza and Turbo Buick Owner
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Greetings from a New Member, Impreza and Turbo Buick Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello All, My name is Denis Kefallinos and I'm a new member here! How's everyone doing? I joined because I ...

Greetings from a New Member, Impreza and Turbo Buick Owner

Hello All,

My name is Denis Kefallinos and I'm a new member here! How's everyone doing?

I joined because I will be in the market for a new/used car next summer and am starting my research now. Candidates for purchase are either a BMW 325/330 xi series or a Subie WRX/Sti.

I am not new to the Subaru, turbo power nor vehicle mechanics. I am an original owner of a 1993 Impreza L AWD wagon (hunter green!) with nearly 130k miles and have owned my '86 Buick Grand National since 1992. I do all work and mods myself except for work that requires good skill/experience and tools (i.e. tranny rebuilds). I have carried out numerous engine rebuilds and electronic/ecm mods.

For all you new subaru owners/drivers, my impreza has been a great car quality wise, its totally underrated and up there with toyota/honda, but it is starting to show its age. A little rust here and there, and some of the other subsystems are slowly starting to go. In another post later on I may expound on my just completed steering rack replacement project, or last year's fuel tank replacement - ug! talk about rusty bolts, snapped exhaust studs, drilling and tapping threads on your back while rust flakes fall in your eyes!

The GN of course is a beast and I did all my turbo learning on that thing over the past 14-15 years. There's a lot of mis-information out there. Ran into a relatively new WRX owner at the Worcester Summer Nationals just yesterday and had more than a few adjustments to make to his turbo knowledge..

In any case, I'm here to learn all about WRX/Sti's. Its clear there's a strong community and good vendor support. I'm most curious to get into the bowels of the differences between the STI and WRX. I'd like to know which one I should buy as there is a significant price difference and performance difference, and, is it cost effective to make up that difference with mods to the WRX. This car will be my year round daily driver.

I'll close my intro by saying EVERY WRX/STI owner who is serious about performance should be running out and buying a water/alcohol injection system, or the pieces to make a DIY kit right now. I have been using this on the Buick for many years, and let me tell you, there is no more effective power adder, PERIOD. Its simple and very effective at allowing you to run high boost levels with pump gas and no detonation. I would be happy to share my knowledge here.

Nice to meet you!

Regards,

Denis
    Greater Boston
    Last edited by DMan; 07-02-2006 at 04:11 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My .02 cents on the WRX/STI debate is if you can afford the STI it's the clear way to go. The brakes, suspension, six speed, and different turbo are all just icing on the cake. Not to mention the small details like the DCCD and IC sprayer. If the STI is going to be the daily driver, and you dont mind living with a little bit of a harsh ride, I'd pick that in a heart beat. In fact if I could do it over again I would have saved money for another six months and just got an STI.

Now you'll have some people come on here and say that you should get an 06 wrx because they share the same 2.5l motor, and the wrx can be made just as fast blah blah blah. Bottom line is the six speed in the sti makes up the cost difference alone. The stock wrx 5 speed is horrible if you ask me. The 1-2 shift is almost impossible for calm daily driving (dont try that shift with the A/C on) and reverse is a nightmare. It gives you no confidence when you are rowing through the gears.

The STI also has a more agressive suspension package. The brakes are larger also. And of course whatever you would have done to the wrx to catch it up to an STI you could have put that money towards the STI and smoke it again.

STI owns WRX 9 out of 10 times if you ask me.

Pics of the GN or ban.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Pics of the GN or ban.
    I second that motion!

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    I second that motion!
    OT sorry: Did your cat pass away?
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers
    OT sorry: Did your cat pass away?
    Unfortunately.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome Denis!

Unfortunately.
    Sorry to read this.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I would love to see your GN too! Post em up...
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Unfortunately.
    Boy do I hate to hear that. The loss of a animal is one of the hardest things. A few years back we lost out 21 year old cat. We had to put her to sleep because she had skin cancer on her ears. Sorry for you loss. R.I.P Stimpy.

I am sorry for the hijack. I have a soft spot for cats.

By the way welcome to the club Dennis!
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

In fact if I could do it over again I would have saved money for another six months and just got an STI.

Pics of the GN or ban.
    Well those two quotes say a lot indeed.

I've modified my avatar. Pics will come next when I log on from a different computer..

The Subie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB022356.JPG  

All right I don't know how get to the individual photo URLs on MSN Spaces so here's a little mini album - just click on the album on the right..

http://deniskefallinos.spaces.msn.com/?_c02_owner=1

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice GN you h ave there. If I wasnt such a mustang fan I'd more then likely have one of those in the driveway also. Good luck deciding.

Rock on with that Grand National. You have yourself a gem! Always did love those things.

Good luck with your possible WRX purchase.
    gary noonan | senior artist | animator
    Bethesda Game Studios

Nice GN you h ave there. If I wasnt such a mustang fan I'd more then likely have one of those in the driveway also. Good luck deciding.
    Why not have both?

Regards,

Denis

The Fleet:
    1993 Subaru Impreza L AWD
    1986 Buick Grand National
    2004 Toyota Sienna LE
    1971 Rupp Roadster

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan
    Why not have both?
    Money, driveway space, and money

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.