Weird smell, need help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Weird smell, need help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just got an '06 Sti, had 695 miles on it when I bought it last week. Now has just over ...

Weird smell, need help

Just got an '06 Sti, had 695 miles on it when I bought it last week. Now has just over 1100 miles (thanks to the drive from home to college), so it's still in the break in period. I have my rev meter set at 5000 rpm's, which has helped me avoid redlining the car so far. Starting late last week, though, I started getting a weird smell after kickin' it off the line... I'm trying to get used to the car, and I've found that I can get much better acceleration off the line if I rev to about 2500-3000 rpm before letting off the clutch (otherwise I get a second or two lag in first gear before I get pushed back in my seat). That's when I get the smell, and it only lasts a few seconds. Seems to be coming through my air vents (the A/C has been on about 90% of the time I've smelled it). I'm confused, and a bit concerned, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That would be the scent of a clutch burning.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

you burned your clutch.

you get used to it and it won't happen as much, but the non-asbestos clutches all smell like that when they get too hot. It tends to happen more when the clutch is new...it should get better after 2-3k miles.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Is this doing any permanent damage to my car?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayge48
    Is this doing any permanent damage to my car?
    that itself is not. However if you're smoking your clutch, you could be launching hard enough to hurt the tranny.

You can glaze the clutch, which will make it less grabby untill it de-glazes (the glazed layer wears off through normal driving), and you can also create hot spots on your flywheel, which will cause uneven engagement. Hot spots on the flywheel cannot be removed. If you have hot spots on your flywheel, when your clutch is replaced you just have to get a new flywheel.

if its just part of the reagular break-in process, though, its totally harmless and normal.
    Last edited by blarg; 06-28-2006 at 12:43 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Thanks a lot... real quick replies, too, I'm impressed.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.