'06 Sti, street and track, Cobb
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '06 Sti, street and track, Cobb within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, just bought an '06 Sti, looking for some advice. This will be my daily driver, but I also ...

'06 Sti, street and track, Cobb

Hey everyone, just bought an '06 Sti, looking for some advice. This will be my daily driver, but I also plan on taking it to some SCCA meets once I get a feel for the car and get it broken in.
    Here's the deal... after I buy some decent winter tires/rims and a turbo timer, I won't be able to resist tuning the car a bit. I've looked on Cobb's website, heard pretty good things about them all around, and I think I'm sold on Cobb tuning. Accessport Stage 2 and Cobb Turboback (w/ the hf cat) will happen for sure (unless someone suggests an alternate route). Then, I'm torn between the Cobb short ram and the K+N high flow panel filter... which one, if any, would give me the best results? Also, I'm considering a Cobb uppipe and main pulley. For what I need, which of these mods would give me some good bang for my buck, and which ones are just plain stupid? Also, is Cobb worthy of taking all this money from me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congratulations on your new car. Now for the mods, an AccessPORT would be a great place to start for a straight up, no hassle engine management. For exhaust, there are many options. You may want to consider Crucial Racing as their exhaust components are second to none. Top notch in my opinion. A K&N panel filter and GP Moto elbow would do just fine in lieu of a short ram. Unless you like intake and blow off valve noise, you may want to pass on an intake.

I am not saying an intake is not a good option if properly tuned for it, I removed my K&N Typhoon simply because I could not stand the intake noise. Up-pipe you do not need for the '06's, as I am almost 100% certain it is catless on the new models.

And finally the pulley should net you a more responvide faster revving motor.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Whoa - easy there big boy!

Your car isn't even broken in yet, but you feel the need to make it faster?

Having said that, Cobb TBE with high-flo is an excellent choice, as is the accessport to go with it.

Stupid mods would be the uppipe - your car is an STI, not a WRX. Intake will not do anything and Cobb says their maps work best with the stock airbox or the Cobb Intake (no extra power btw). I wouldn't bother with a pulley either.

What kind of SCCA "meets" are you talking about?
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    2006 STU Pro Solo Natl. Champ.
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Planning on SCCA solo races in the Ohio area... Not sure what category I'd be racing in, probably stock for now. I guess a follow-up question would be: Would these modifications be allowed in the street touring category, or would I need to move to a different category?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayge48
    Planning on SCCA solo races in the Ohio area... Not sure what category I'd be racing in, probably stock for now. I guess a follow-up question would be: Would these modifications be allowed in the street touring category, or would I need to move to a different category?
    I strongly suggest you read the SCCA Solo rules before you make any mods to your car.

STI classing goes as follows... AS > STU > BSP

In AS, you are only allowed to change shocks (not springs), front sway bar and catback. You can also run R-Compound tires.

In STU, you are allowed coilovers, camber plates, TBE with High-flo, FSB and RSB, seats, intake, but you are not allowed to raise the boost. In other words, a Cobb Stage 2 map would be illegal. You must also run Street tires with a treadware rating of at least 140.

There is much more to it than the little things I have mentioned, so read up. I suggest just driving the car completely stock and with experience, you will have a better idea of what class and mods (if any) you want to do. Contact your local AX region and sign up for an event.
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    2006 STU Pro Solo Natl. Champ.
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayge48
    For what I need, which of these mods would give me some good bang for my buck, and which ones are just plain stupid?
    Congrats on the car. I know that you will lover her.
    The turbo timer will be a big waste of money for your car. From what I hear from a few Subaru dealers, they actually still warrent cars that have Cobb's mods in them. Please check with your dealer first. I did and my dealer does. So I will say go with Cobbs...
    Looks are everything...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.