Stock vs modified
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock vs modified within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've going back and forth over buying a nicely modified used or buying a newer model with less miles but ...

Question Stock vs modified

I've going back and forth over buying a nicely modified used or buying a newer model with less miles but stock. Both will end up about costing the same, I know. But I know mods can get expensive, which I will want to do some day. Here is a list of a car with some upgrades. I talked with the guy who owns it. Seems to be an intelligent person with-eeeck- some common sense. I think the car has been well cared for and not abused. But I'm sure it has been driven, otherwise would you modify one?! Let me know what you all think and possible questions forthe current owner. Thanks in advance.

Deadbolt ZILLA(TM) TD06H-20G, Oil and water cooled
    1st Generation Vishnu Stainless Steel Turboback Exhaust. (downpipe to muffler) intercooler
    Perrin 816cc fuel injectors
    Perrin turbo inlet hose
    Perrin big maf intake
    Walboro fuel pump
    Ecutek with custom dyno tune
    Greddy 52mm etg gauge and turbo boost gauge with pillar pod
    Perrin EBCS
    Kartboy short throw shifter w/ bushing

Prodrive-GC-05F 18x8 British Black (They are part of the Prodrive GC series, which are made by Rays Engineering (makers of Volk) and designed by Prodrive. They come standard with carbon fiber center caps and steel valve stems. For the ultimate in racer look these are the best. Forged aluminum and lightweight at 17lbs.) Rims are in mint condition.
    Tires are kumho ecsta mx 235/40/18. They have about 90% of tread remaining. The tires have less than 4500 miles on them.
    Ohlin fixed perch strut / 25 clicks for adjustment (The improvement in ride quality vs. the stock '04 STi inverted strut is huge. The ratio of bump to rebound damping feels enormously better then stock. All the front to rear pitch that the stock suspension had over bumps is gone, the handling is not compromised in anyway.)
    STi Impreza Lowering Spring Set
    STi GroupN Hardened Strut Top Mount front and rear
    Cobb front and rear sway bars
    Perrin front and rear sway bar endlinks
    Gt spec underarm brace
    STI Aluminum Rear Strut Brace
    McGard spine drive lugs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Buy as stock as possible. You will get more satisfaction modding it yourself and none of the problems caused by the possibly derelict former owner.

ntd
    I bought used and modded. Not as much as this one. I turned ok.
    True you don't get the satisfaction but you do save money.

Do research on the car and the owner. Are they a racer? (street or autocrosser) The kind of daily driving that has been done. Can they offer some people that will stand up for him and the car?

Search for his posts on the boards. What of talk is there about his car? What is he getting next? Has he sold a modded car before? Can you talk to that person?

Who did the mods. He or a shop. Contact the shop. Visit if possible.

Last get the vin and have your dealer service dept run a check on it. Is the car flagged by Subaru? What for. Mine was for autocrossing and I did have a trany problem. But after I talked to Subaru they unflagged the car and I got it fixed.

I almost forgot get a car fax it's worth the money.

buy new and stock

the vehicle is only worth so much no matter what mods are done to it
    and just because you are paying extra for the mods does not mean that you will find someone else who is willing too when it's time to move on
    you'll end up owing/spending way too much on a car that is valued much much lower

a vehicle that has been modified has been driven hard at some point... nobody buys a wrx/sti, soups them up, and proceeds to drive them like a stock corolla wagon

Yea I agree with what is said so far-except always buy stock. For me I have spent ALOT of money modifing my cars and bikes over the years. But I'd say, my moddded vehicles have been taken cared for extremely well. Better than most folks do stockers. ANd to some extent, a modified car isn't always driven as hard as a stocker, since it has more power...ie my old Turbo Busa it never saw much over 8000rpm with a mellow tune. Didn't have too (260rwhp). It, to me, depends on the owner. I am going to look into who tuned, where bought etc listed above. But does the mods listed sound extreme? As far as reliabilty is concerned-if it is assumed it has been cared for? I expect it has been driven hard some. Personally I think thats better than just idiling it around which causes its own problems. Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

BTW-as far as buying new and stock-this owner claims the same thing as to why he bought his new and stock-so he'd know where and how it had been treated---of course for his word is worth.

If you want performance, how about an STi. After buying my WRX and subsequently modding it, I would have been better off with the STi. Definitely more car.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

SORRY it is a STi-2004 model

Definately buy stock. You never really know what the guy's word is worth, and the last thing you ever want is to find out the hard way in the middle of the night on a road trip to a meet two states away.

I think I will go with a stock newer model with less miles. I'll have better peace of mind

good thinking

a stock sti will whoop on %99.999 of all cars on the road all while being covered under factory warranty

most people dont realize how important that warranty is untill they have a repair bill sitting in front of them

aint nothing like owing $24,000 on a car that you cant drive because the $3,000 repair bill is just out of range
    Last edited by $lick Rick; 06-27-2006 at 06:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.