Just bought a 2006 STI need a little advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just bought a 2006 STI need a little advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Whats up all! Just purchased a 2006 STI have a few ?'s about my fist purchase from the experts out ...

Just bought a 2006 STI need a little advice

Whats up all!
    Just purchased a 2006 STI have a few ?'s about my fist purchase from the experts out there since i am new to the car world. I really wanted to get a Greddy Type RS BOV but went online to SCO and talked to the online chat dude and he said my STI wouldnt run right with a BOV on it. I was heart broken after he said that cause i really wanted to hear that PSHHHH, He is a expert and im far from it so my ? is, is he right?

Also if he is right about the BOV which im sure he is, he recommended a Perrin Short ram intake, I cant find any reviews on it so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions and input about this product? Does it make that loud sucking sound?
    Thanks for your help guys and gals!
    Steve

2006 Subaru WRX STI

PS just bought it today!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Casechitt2
    Whats up all!
    Just purchased a 2006 STI have a few ?'s about my fist purchase from the experts out there since i am new to the car world. I really wanted to get a Greddy Type RS BOV but went online to SCO and talked to the online chat dude and he said my STI wouldnt run right with a BOV on it. I was heart broken after he said that cause i really wanted to hear that PSHHHH, He is a expert and im far from it so my ? is, is he right?

Also if he is right about the BOV which im sure he is, he recommended a Perrin Short ram intake, I cant find any reviews on it so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions and input about this product? Does it make that loud sucking sound?
    Steve

2006 Subaru WRX STI

PS just bought it today!
    I don't know about a Perrin intake, but I know that a K&N Typhoon intake ( with the heat shield ), will give your BOV the sound you desire. I have one, and it sounds great ! Plus it's compatible with the Accessport, which a lot of them are not.

Good Luck with your new baby. I just turned over 2000 miles on mine.

Why is it that everyone wants that ricer sound? Dude, invest in a turboback and some engine management to actually have a quick car instead of getting parts that could cause you to run slower, but then again don't listen to me as I own an Evo.
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Here are some links I suggest you check out:
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.

As far as a BOV goes, most people here will tell you it's a waste of money because it will either hurt your performance or do nothing...not the best way to spend $200. But there are many members here who also have them for that phssssst sound, despite their worthlessness.

So my advice: Read the above links. Do a little research. Once you know more about your subie, if you are still dead-set on driving around going phssst phssst, then get a recirculating BOV....and then in two months, sell it on here when you're tired of it.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Why?

Thanks for the Advice about the Typhoon series intake i have heard good things about them as well was my first choice but the online tech at SCO said Perrin was great for subaru's because thats what they specialize in.

As far as asking why everyone wants their car to sound like rice its not just that. I am going to be dropping Thousands into this car, it will be quick but understand this is only my first purchase, I just want to drive down the street and hear the sweet noise of air flowing into my engine or in a BOV's case pushing out. I will be asking for advice down the road from all you experts out there whats next, whats after a short ram intake because honestly i have no idea. I had a stock Nissan SPEC V before i gave it to my wife and just have no clue what to buy as far as car tuning goes. Any advice i get from this forum i am writing down. I really do appreaciate all your help out there and I am proud to be apart of this forum and a STI owner!
    steve

Thanks for the Advice about the Typhoon series intake i have heard good things about them as well was my first choice but the online tech at SCO said Perrin was great for subaru's because thats what they specialize in.

As far as asking why everyone wants their car to sound like rice its not just that. I am going to be dropping Thousands into this car, it will be quick but understand this is only my first purchase, I just want to drive down the street and hear the sweet noise of air flowing into my engine or in a BOV's case pushing out. I will be asking for advice down the road from all you experts out there whats next, whats after a short ram intake because honestly i have no idea. I had a stock Nissan SPEC V before i gave it to my wife and just have no clue what to buy as far as car tuning goes. Any advice i get from this forum i am writing down. I really do appreaciate all your help out there and I am proud to be apart of this forum and a STI owner!
    steve
    The intake is nice, but wait until you get your accessport and go to stage 1 ! It feels SUPER ! And if your STi has the SPT 3" exhaust, all you really have to have is a down-pipe ! That's what I'm putting on mine today so I can go stage 2 ! I can't imagine what it's going to feel like ! The intake was the first mod I did to my 06 also.

Good Luck making her your's ! Okey

PS- I may put a different exhaust on eventually, especially if it's very loud, but I think it will be fine for now !

Whats up all!

Steve

2006 Subaru WRX STI

PS just bought it today!
    http://cobbtuning.com/sti/power-i.html#intake

known or at least considered to be a safe mod, I would imagine this should make plenty of noise.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

EM (engine managment) first
    exhuast
    up and down pipes

those are the first 3 modes to go for unless you want like rims/tires also up there in the top 5 things to do
    April 04 WRBlue Pearl MT <--"Stitch"
    Mods: Premium Package,STI short shifter and titanuim knob,Momo Airleather shift knob,Rota Formels 17's,AP Stage 2,Coolsafe Thermostat, Apexi Intake, RallyArmor mudflaps, Bosal Cat-back exhaust, Crucial Racing Down-pipe, gold painted calipers,daddy's group buy 3 52mm gagues, center pod, delphi xm radio, JVC CD reciever

Quote Originally Posted by amccrazgrl
    EM (engine managment) first
    exhuast
    up and down pipes

those are the first 3 modes to go for unless you want like rims/tires also up there in the top 5 things to do

+1on good first performance mods -1 on the up pipe dont even bother with these words because you drive an 06 your up pipe is catless and in need of no modifications other than that go to www.cobbtuning.com as linked before read everything on the site from accessport to intakes to exhaust find out what the stages are and how the AP is used you will gain a clear understanding of what modifications will be right for you and what makes real power and not just noise....

The SPT intake will make you hear some noise - the BOV for noise only would be fine except that it actually hurts performance - is that REALLY worth it?? Your car is 30+ k.

meanwhile you can put that $200 towards Stage 2 which cost about $1500 for new partts give or take (and much less used) - and the difference can only be described as startling - it's a whole new car.

at moderate power levels the intake side is best left stock

so you can get the BOV so the guy thats beating you can hear it from in front....

or you can get the turbo back exhaust (tbe) and engine management (EM) and he can hear your car from behind you...

How is that for being subtle?!?!?! have fun

Quote Originally Posted by brakeguru
    so you can get the BOV so the guy thats beating you can hear it from in front....

or you can get the turbo back exhaust (tbe) and engine management (EM) and he can hear your car from behind you...
    +eleventybillion

that's the best thing I've seen yet on this forum.

Get an AP - if you don't like it ..... trust me, not an issue - you'll love it.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Whats up all!

Steve

2006 Subaru WRX STI

PS just bought it today!

i would try a K&N filter will give u alittle sound. i thought i have heard bad things about short ram intakes not really needed..
    civicdreamin....

I did'nt bother readin all the posts but my advice don't do anything! Learn to drive the car well first, enjoy it as it is. I waited a year before modding and after the first mods I waited another 1 1/2 years for the current setup going into the car as we speak.The key is to avoid wasting money, get a intake if you want that sound but research them first. Also you can remove the stock air resonator and use the gp moto silencer delete.
    The first performance mods you should use a TBE in conjuction with EM. I acutally did a dp with em and it was great and kept me happy for a long time with no tickets! I currently have on the car a Invidia bellmouth with Greddy SP2 catback very quiet. Moreover a FP Green in now going on with all supporting mods, Ecutek is my EM and a UR external 38 mm wastegate setup with a STG 2 Meth kit to follow once the setup is broken in. Take your time join all the forums and use the search button, it's very helpful and try to go to local meets. This way you can see what other owners have done and get an idea of what works, and what you like/dislike!

Good luck
    2004 Wrb Sti- Mildly modded!........pause......pause....."NOT!"

Wow

I have been a member of the clubwrx community for about 7 hours and you have already helped me out so much! 1ST I am convinced that the BOV is not worth it your right from what i have been reading it hinders the cars performance. speedette thanks for the links those where a big help! Now when i have no idea what a AP is...lol....i can read about it and learn from there. Looks like that will be my 2nd purchase. cobbtuning looks like it has everything i need with decking out the STI, this is going to be a blast! I just have to convince my wife the samething after spending 34500 today haha any advice on that? lol just messing but really all thanks for your help and input. I will look into the short ram intake a little more still a toss up between the Typhoon Series, Perrin and SF will wait to see what people say a little more in the forums before i make my purchase, Thanks all!
    steve

I've got a noob question... What exactly is EM?
    '04 WRX STi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast