Wonderin about transmissions?

This is a discussion on Wonderin about transmissions? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am 18 and am about to buy a new suby. Ive heard a lot bad things about the wrx ...

Wonderin about transmissions?

I am 18 and am about to buy a new suby.
    Ive heard a lot bad things about the wrx five speed transmissions, has anyone had any trouble with the new 06
    For that reason and of course others would it be better to bite the bullet and by an sti please help me I really want an wrx because its chaeper has the same engine is more reliable plus i will start modding and it seems like a good platform to start from, but the wack transmission is scaring me from getting one. How much can the five speed handle and is as janky as i hear and read. My friend had an 03 its transmission was toast when he sold it with forty thousand miles running 300 awhp

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Trannies are fine as long you don't abuse it. 02-03's really had the problems, but they have improved a lot on the 04-05's and it would be safe to say the 06's as well.
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

I wouldn't necesarily say that the STi is less reliable than the wrx. As far as the trans issues go...If you don't beat on it, you won't have any problems. People blew their trannies because they launch at unnecesarly high rpms tons of times. If you have a responsible head on your shoulders, you shouldn't have any issues.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Im not saying the sti is less reliable tranny wise i heard it was better. I'm saying reliablitly of running high boost and mods on stock parts ive heard of sti blowing up out of the factory, I am also not talking about repeated launches more high rev downshifts double clutching moutain spirited driving, i live in the Santa Cruz moutains and will need the downshifting and i'm not looking to street race but smoking hundred thousand dollar cars of the line would be nice

i researched about the tranny and yeah indeed the 02-03 had the problems. i have myself an 02 and i am still debating what would be better swap for an 6 speed STI or just change internals. My heart says internals.
    do any of you know what should i REALLY change. i now what to change but exactly the nesessary parts

Quote Originally Posted by fexterz11
    i researched about the tranny and yeah indeed the 02-03 had the problems. i have myself an 02 and i am still debating what would be better swap for an 6 speed STI or just change internals. My heart says internals.
    do any of you know what should i REALLY change. i now what to change but exactly the nesessary parts
    if it aint broke dont fix it
    Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    You really have to options when it comes to tranny swapping. You can either get an STI six speed (between 4-6k all said and done properly) or you can install different gears into your stock gearbox. Alot of people suggest RA gears, but I am no a fan of those. If you are looking for a bullet proof five speed (as if there is such a thing) you need to research PPG and Kaaz gearsets. PPG would be my pick as they are simply awesome gears. Most people will go ppg 1-4 and retain your stock fifth. If you are really on a budget I assume you could go 1-3 and keep 04+ 4th and 5th.

As to the OP's question, if you are deciding to buy either a wrx/sti look beyond the tranny. Look at the brakes, suspension, larger turbo, wheels etc. The tranny should sway you one way or the other but should not be the deciding factor.

With that being said I told the gf today that if I had to do it over again I would have just wait another six months and got the STI. I would have been happy personally, but that's just me. At your age you need to factor in maintance, gas, and insurance along with all your other bills. I have no idea who you are or how your family life is but keep in mind at 18 you run the risk of being put in a rough situation money wise (if parents cut you off).
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

i think amma go with the PPG 1-4 gear set. how much do u think it would cost me?? thanks alot for the help, i have been debating ALOT on which direction to go.

i think amma go with the PPG 1-4 gear set. how much do u think it would cost me?? thanks alot for the help, i have been debating ALOT on which direction to go.

I Support ClubWRX
    Depending on where you live Andrewtech in gaithersburg MD comes highly recommended from several people with ppg sets, and other tranny issues for that matter. Andrewtech can build a five speed with ppg gears and have you on your way. PPG gears are not cheap by any means, but it should be the last set you need. I'd guess that a PPG set would probaly be around 4-5k all said and done. This is a pure guess through.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"