16 year old lookin at WRX's...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 16 year old lookin at WRX's... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What's up everybody? I'm 16, and looking at cars. I came to the Impreza WRX/STi because it's all wheel drive, ...

16 year old lookin at WRX's...

What's up everybody?

I'm 16, and looking at cars. I came to the Impreza WRX/STi because it's all wheel drive, and easy to modify. I hate to ask this, but what kind of gas mileage does everybody get?

Is anybody else here 16? What do you pay for insurance?

I'm torn between the WRX and STi. I want it to be easy to make faster, but I don't want to kill myself. I also don't want to pay a ridiculous amount for insurance. What would be better for me, a WRX or an STi?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i own a 05 wrx. 18 years old and pay 450 a month for insurance with state farm.you are 16 and have all your life to have a fast car.i would go with the wrx because it enough for me.i recently did cobb stg2 and my car is even faster. i can run with my buddys stock sti.as for me i bought the wrx for simple fact that i would have money to play with. i could buy an sti but couldnt do much to it.then you drive around looking like every other sti around.the choice is yours.no matter what be safe there are to many stories on here about kids our age killing themselves because they think their the fastest **** on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross16
    What's up everybody?

I'm 16, and looking at cars. I came to the Impreza WRX/STi because it's all wheel drive, and easy to modify. I hate to ask this, but what kind of gas mileage does everybody get?

I'm torn between the WRX and STi. I want it to be easy to make faster, but I don't want to kill myself. I also don't want to pay a ridiculous amount for insurance. What would be better for me, a WRX or an STi?
    yeah, i got an '06 wrx when i turned 17. Insurance is a real killer on it. We have multiple other cars which raise our insurance, but this one did not help. I used to drive a volvo XC wagon, and I think the wrx is twice as much to insure.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Peachypumpkincheeks

What's up everybody?

Because you are only 16 you are probably going to get flamed. Also, you asked questions that have been answered numerous times and it's obvious you did not take the time to search first...for that you are probably going to get flamed. So here, you can borrow my flame suit...

But okay, I'll see if I can help you out. Please read the following carefully:

First of all, I would spend numerous time researching both the WRX and the STI. Obviously you are a young and inexperienced driver, so I would hands down say the WRX. Many will recommend a different car entirely due to your lack of experience. People aren't trying to be mean, they just don't want you to end up dead. I'm not doubting that you can drive, it's just that we've all been young once--we all know what it's like to push the limits when your friends are egging you on or that instance when you miraculously avoid an accident by pure chance because you didn't have the know-how to correct your wheel slip, etc.

Who is purchasing the car and paying for insurance? The WRX and the STI are both very expensive cars. It is also believed that you will never truly appreciate a performance vehicle unless you've paid for it yourself. Depending on the year/mileage/etc., with the WRX/STI you are looking at paying around $300-500 a month in car payments. If you're paying this, plus insurance and gas too, you are going to be an extremely broke teenager.

Furthermore, you should not mod right away. If you have the money for mods, it would be wiser to take that money and invest it some good performance driving classes, autocross classes, and defensive driver classes!

And to answer your questions:
    1. There are a few 16 year olds here, but I'll let them speak for themselves.
    2. My stock '02 WRX gets about 26 mpg daily driven. WRXes range between 18/20 city and 23/25 highway, but once again, that depends on mods and how you drive it.
    3. Insurance is what changes most people's minds who have considered these cars. I'm a 23 year old girl with a clean record and I pay $189/month. Since you are a 16 y.o. male, and depending on your driving record thus far, with a WRX I'd say you're looking at around $250+/month, with an STI upwards of $300/month.

Maybe you should research alternative vehicles at this point in time. The Subaru 2.5RS is a great start. You get the AWD and the Subaru reliability, but it has a little less power. You can get a manual and become an expert at driving first.

Well, I hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in shortly.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

....but what kind of gas mileage does everybody get?
    [/B]

I am an old man and commute 60 miles daily, mostly highway. Very little joy riding in it. I get about 22-25mpg. Its all in how you drive it.

[/B]

Far from it..... going on 33. I am close to suspension again and holding strong to 7 points, and I pay roughly $120 a month. Quite cheap, but I am old and wise. At 16, you may want to call insurance companies and ask first. It is VERY likely that they will not even insure you, so make sure before you make the purchase, otherwise, you will have a zippy little paperweight in your driveway.

[/B]

You can kill yourself in either one. Just don't drive like 80% of the other 16 year old a55hats out there and you will be fine. It's all in how you drive. Who knows what is better for you. I have never seen you drive. It's all in what you can afford and what you can handle. Choose wisely young Padawan.

Like I said, call for quotes before you buy.
    gary noonan | senior artist | animator
    Bethesda Game Studios

What's up everybody?

Ok, the first question that is just begging me to ask, is
    Are your parents loaded or have you been saving ALL your money from your afterschool job? STi's AREN'T cheap...and neither will your insurance be. I will be surpised to see you pay less than $2,000 every six months (or $300+ monthly) for full coverage for the STi and not much less for the WRX.
    Ultimately, its your (and/or whoever is paying for the car if not you) decision but you should really start off with a Civic or Corolla or something like that and learn how to drive safely and responsibly first. The WRX is bad enough, but the STi is a whole lot of car, maybe even too much car, for the average 16 year old. And before you say the usual, "But, I'm very responsible for a 16 year old. I've been driving a stick for so long, bla bla", there will be others on this forum who will agree with me.
    I don't mean to be condescending by any means, but these cars, I'm sure you are well aware, are NO JOKE. I'm 33, have known how do drive a stick since I was 12, have had my STi for four months now and am still mastering how to drive it to its potential (but not recklessly).
    With all that said, welcome to the club. There are a lot of helpful, cordial members here. This has a very friendly, professional atmosphere and you will find most everyone will be glad to assist you with any questions you have. Just be sure to read the stickies in each thread and do a search before you ask any questions...especially about blow-off valves and cold air intakes (BOV and CAI).
    EDIT: DAMMIT Heather. You beat me to the punch!!
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

I Support ClubWRX
    16 w/ STI = DIAF.

Get a 2.5i
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Thanks, everybody.

I just had a good talk with my dad. It's confusing to say exactly what we concluded, but it's something like this: "Living in New York, we get snow, and therefore, I should get a truck." Dammit. That's not what I wanted to hear, but oh well. So I guess I'm not gonna get a car after all. Sorry I wasted your time!

I guess I'll be better off with a truck, though. I can get an old one very cheap, and will be able to drive in the snow storms. Hopefully, I'll be back, though...just not until I'm 18. Adios.

Thanks, everybody.

I just had a good talk with my dad. It's confusing to say exactly what we concluded, but it's something like this: "Living in New York, we get snow, and therefore, I should get a truck." Dammit. That's not what I wanted to hear, but oh well. So I guess I'm not gonna get a car after all. Sorry I wasted your time!

I guess I'll be better off with a truck, though. I can get an old one very cheap, and will be able to drive in the snow storms. Hopefully, I'll be back, though...just not until I'm 18. Adios.

i think thats good. 16 with a wrx is iffy....16 with an sti is suicide.

i first got a wrx when i was 17....about 3 weeks before 18. even then i think i was too young...dont get me wrong i am paying for all of it. but it is a good idea to skip on the wrx/sti for now. especially if you have bad winters. granted these cars are amazing in the snow. but thats only if you have a nice set of snow tires on there. if your going around in summer tires you can say bye to the car.

go get a good paying job (if you dont have one already) and start saving up. show your dad you would be responsible enough to have one. and then in a year or so get one
    vf22 Stage IIII wagon of DOOM

Registered User killthelights14's Avatar
    got mine when i was still 15. im now 17, and never got into any accidents until someoone decided to rear end me and do 9 thousand in damage. other then that iv been safe.

auto-x events really teach you how and when to drive fast. basically...at auto x events nowhere else. its just stupid
    02 wrb wrx stock turbo fmic 26 psi (it can be done)

When I get my STi i'll be close or already 17.
    I have 1 point on my license and I was quoted for 1780 every 6 months, not bad at all.
    Good luck with your truck and save up your money, sooner or later you'll be able to get a nice car.
    06 VF39'd WRX 270awhp 295wtq @15psi
    Should I OpenSource and ditch the AP?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    3. Insurance is what changes most people's minds who have considered these cars. I'm a 23 year old girl with a clean record and I pay $189/month. Since you are a 16 y.o. male, and depending on your driving record thus far, with a WRX I'd say you're looking at around $250+/month, with an STI upwards of $300/month.
    i'm 18, although i don't own an WRX yet, (in couple years like when i'm 23 or older, and hwen i have enough money saved i'll get a 2006 WRX Sedan or the sport wagon) my parents are paying $3000 a year for my 94 Integra GSR..its a killer, but i'm trying to keep my record as clean as it can.. advice to the OP, when you get your car, don't let your friends pressure you into driving fast. SAFETY or others and yourself FIRST. drive the speed limit, screw the person behind tailgating you, just let them change lanes and get in front of you, thats what i do ..i don't want to go over the speed limit that much.. i drive 70mph in a 65mph on the freeway(i know that ain't fast but stilll) be careful youngster.
    My future car: (one of these)
    -2006 Subaru WRX Sedan
    -2006 Subaru WRX Sport Sedan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.