Awesome Customer Service...not
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Awesome Customer Service...not within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay, so last week, I turned on my car and the turbo stoped working. It worked the night before, I ...

Awesome Customer Service...not

Okay, so last week, I turned on my car and the turbo stoped working. It worked the night before, I drove a buddy home, came home.. woke up and left to go to work.. I turn the car on, let it idol for 5 - 6 mins to warm up, pull out of my parking spot, go up to the stop light and turned right. NO BOOST! WTF? It boosted fine the night before.. no bang, no smoke.. no clunk.. nothing.

Let me fast forward to today.

This past Friday I took my car into Kearny mesa subaru. Checked it in, as its still under warenty.. I left my Injen CAI on, hoping it wouldnt void the warrenty, but would take my chances.. I pull into the drive, pop the hood and the mechanic pokes around under the intercooler, pokes at the waist gate etc, completly ignores the CAI.. sick. Later on that day I get a phone call, they thought it was a bad O/2 sensor, which they replaced. BAM, charged me $100.. ( What about the warrenty? ) she told me it would be charged for everything until they figure out what happened and it was a warrenty issue.

Monday, They call me and tell me they think its an emissions problem, with the " Pre cat", correct me if im wrong, but the pre-cat is the up pipe!? They replaced the up-pipe and told me they would test it. Never heard back from them until Tuesday morning.

Tuesday around 1 O'clock.. They called me and told me that the car isnt boosting, and the contents of the " precat " got sucked into the turbo. They told me they would replace the precat and test it.

Wednesday ( today ) Got a call around 2PM, they replaced the pre-cat, and the car IS boosting a little, possibly 5lbs with boost spikes, it would boost to 11, than fall to 7.. Anyways, they called me about 20 mins ago and told me they took the turbo apart and will have to order a new one from JAPAN. No subaru dealerships cary turbo's in stock in So-Cal. They now quoted me next tuesday. Funny how a " We should have this done in a few hours " can turn into a week and a half.

Anybody else have this happen to them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    One tidbit to keep in mind: In CA, at least for my 02. any and all emissions equipment was warrantied for 50K, not just 36K. Look in your owner's manual, there should be a page devoted specifically to CA emissions warranty. This includes the cats and the turbo.

There are stories of people having the up-pipe cat fail, but often there is a history of boost and/or temperatures etc. Have you done other modifications to the car?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    First post? Welcome to the club!

They do not sound like they have a firm grasp on the issue. I never heard of charging until they make the determination as to warranty status.

If it was a piece of the up pipe cat the turbo is likely hosed. Have to order the replacement from Japan? That also sounds odd to say the least. If you are not satisfied ( I would not be) I would contact SOA customer service rather than get jerked around by the dealer. Good luck!

This why installing a catless up pipe is a popular mod - it is healthier for the turbo in terms of EGTs and the rare cat shrapnel.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    One tidbit to keep in mind: In CA, at least for my 02. any and all emissions equipment was warrantied for 50K, not just 36K. Look in your owner's manual, there should be a page devoted specifically to CA emissions warranty. This includes the cats and the turbo.

There are stories of people having the up-pipe cat fail, but often there is a history of boost and/or temperatures etc. Have you done other modifications to the car?
    Isn't is a federal law that extends emissions component warranties out to 80K miles?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks for the welcome... Im just pissed that they have to order a new turbo.. why dosnt a subaru dealership keep turbo's in stock. I even called up to Irvine and Ontario ( 120+ miles away ) and they don't either. They replaced the up pipe, when I get my car, thats the first thing im getting for it is a up pipe and down pipe.

Right now, I have an Injen CAI and a greddy turbo timer.. and just a muffler on the exhast. ill put some pics up when I get the car back next monday.

FYI, kerney mesa subaru is terrible for just about everything. they keep next to nothing in stock (how about keeping some stock wheel lugs in stock guys?), but we work with what we have...
    If you ever go back in time, dont touch anything.

2005 STi
    Cobb Ap Stage Two/ Cobb Suspension Stage one.

They try to keep cost down by having a small overhead. They don't think many people will be coming in for a turbo replacment.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.