New to turbos (sort of) need opinions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to turbos (sort of) need opinions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone! Greetings from Sheppard AFB here in 106 degree TX. While I do not yet have a WRX, after ...

Question New to turbos (sort of) need opinions

Hello everyone! Greetings from Sheppard AFB here in 106 degree TX.

While I do not yet have a WRX, after test driving a number of sedans and wagons, I have already made up my mind to purchase a WRX wagon (like the extra space and the "sleeper" quotient) once I am released from Active Duty here in August. I have owned MANY sports/muscle cars over the years(my last ride was a 2000 Contour SVT), but have never owned a forced induction vehicle before;my only turbo experience is with a Grand National a friend had in 1989-alot has changed since then. I've done ALOT of searching here and on some other sites, and have some questions for those of you in the know.

First, what do you guys think of dealer installed options such as their short shifter and boost guage(I believe perf. package #1) and the Subaru dealer installed "performance" exhaust? How about the factory subwoofer and speakers? I figured I would have the dealer do it and roll them into my monthly payments.

Second, I have read much about uppipes and am curious: I've heard that the Perrin pipe is superior to others because you don't have to have the turbo removed to install it, just jacking up the motor is sufficient. Any thoughts on that?

Third, I've read alot about the intake mod(s) that people here seem fond of...any thoughts on what part#'s I need to cover up the holes made by removing the silencer and what is the K&N panel (or other brand) part#?

Fourth, anyone have an opinion on use of the CRO2 system for use specifically with the intercooler sprayer?

Fifth, Has anyone used the boost controller from Dawes? It seems like a nice straightforward design-almost "goof-proof". Will this controller set off any CEL's and how do you reset the computer? What is the lightest set of rims out there now and where do I get them? I'm looking for 17" and possibly 18" if the ride doesn't turn into something approaching a "go-kart".

Any and all opinions are appreciated-Ied I figured I'd do my homework now so I can order the parts ahead of time that way I can purchase a WRX and have the parts waiting for me to be installed by the time I get home on leave. Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well i don 't have any answers, but i am very curious as to what others have to say about this so i will try and keep it alive
    proud owner of a 2004 Subaru WRX STI, silver on silver (pics should be taken when i get home on dec 8)

Toyota Celica GT-S (my baby who got run over by a drunk driver)

glad to see that we're going to have a new wrx owner soon.

to me, i think the dealer performance parts (boost gauge, short shifter, and exhaust) are a bit on the expensive side when compared to aftermarket performance parts. the only good thing in getting the dealer parts is that it doesnt void your warranty.

as for the uppipes. pretty much any aftermarket uppipe will do just fine

the intake mods. i dont know too much on that

i would hold back on the boost controler until you get some kind of engine management like UTEC or COBB ACCESSPORT or any other types out there.
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Hey thanks for the info!! So, there is something to be said about Subaru Dealer stuff, eh?? The Boost controller was manual, and I figured I'd get it just to screw arounf with (carefully) Thanks again for the info!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.