06 with repaired title
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 with repaired title within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've come across a 06 with a repaired title. Looks good on inspection. Does anybody have experience with a vegile ...

06 with repaired title

I've come across a 06 with a repaired title. Looks good on inspection. Does anybody have experience with a vegile like this? It could save me over 10000 on a new one. I know that it depends on who repaired it, but typically, if the guy who repaired it is good it is better than new.thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

run far away.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    run far away.
    i second that
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy
    i second that

Get the hell outta there!!!
    1999 BMW 328i - R.I.P.
    2004 JBP WRX - R.I.P.
    2007 SWP STi
    And Loving Every Minute Of It.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a plan ... a very bad one. It is unlikely you will be told the truth about that poor WRX.

You might want to post the VIN so others here do not get burned.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

No, no experience here. And hopefully you won't if you heed our advice and walk away.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Run fast.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

Come on! How many of you guys know anything about the rebuilding business? Probably not a single one of you have a clue. I have seen what can be done by a very good rebuilder, and I would not be afraid of buying one of his cars. If the guy's being up front with you, there's no reason to think there is a problem with the car. But...

Without seeing it I don't know what advice to give you. I would not worry too much about it if the rebuilder can give good references and you check them out. I would want to see before and after pics, which most reputable rebuilders will have. I would also want to check it out up on a lift. If you can, have a body man you trust check it out. It will be better than new if a good rebuilder got ahold of it. Also, see if you can drive for a day to see if there are any funny noises or tracking problems.

Don't let these inexperienced folk scare you away from what may be a good deal, but make sure you do your research before you buy.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

Quote Originally Posted by e-merlin
    Come on! How many of you guys know anything about the rebuilding business? Probably not a single one of you have a clue....

Don't let these inexperienced folk scare you away from what may be a good deal, but make sure you do your research before you buy.
    Might be a good idea to know who you're talking about before you start generalizing - some of us have more experience than you think. No wrecked car, no matter how good the body man, will ever be as straight or as structurally sound after a wreck than the day it left the factory. Take it from someone with experience in the industry - you do not want a car that's been wrecked, even if it was supposedly rebuilt by a pro. Especially a performance car.
    Last edited by Kush; 06-10-2006 at 09:58 PM.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

rebuilding cars is reputable and i agree with merlin. his guidelines for checking are thorough, but also ask if the enine was replaced etc. the main problem with repaired cars is what you can't see. if it was in the engine bay you can almost be sure that something happened to the engine and allthough it might run "ok" it will never be like it used to. the only way i would buy a repaired title is if the frame check out with the highest standards and there is a different engine with new welds etc on the mounts. my uncle used to rebuild cars and now he is the head mechanic for a Le Mans racing team and rebuilds historic race cars, i would personaly say to stick to what you are posative with because venturing into unknown territory will most likely not turn out like you hoped. there is probably a 80% chance the car won't be good. be safe with the 99% satisfaction of buying a clear title. it is worth the 10k you would pay. also look for one with a warranty
    proud owner of a 2004 Subaru WRX STI, silver on silver (pics should be taken when i get home on dec 8)

Toyota Celica GT-S (my baby who got run over by a drunk driver)

In my first response I never claimed to have experience. However, why would anyone want to buy a car that it's repairs most likely exceeded its value? Isn't this the reason insurance companies write them off?

Whether it's flood damage, hail, chasis, theft, fire, etc. you most likely are not going to get a smoking deal or a car better than new. Lets be honest as well, who is going to straight up with what's wrong with a car? Will a lending institution loan money on a rebuilt title?

If you really research the particular vehicle, get the facts (and I am not talking a CARFAX report), have a professional examine the car, then maybe it may work out for cobblelane.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

body shops

I have experience with body shops as well. I know a good friend who is excellent at his work and claims when he does a frame off or major repair like that it's better than new, since he knows he did it. Problem is he lives in a different state. Darn. I did look at it on a lift, drive it, not for a day but drove it etc....But here was my deciding factor. The seller doesn't want to give me the body shop information to have my friend contact them directly. At first he said OK, but now he's dragging his feet. Clearly the damage was more extensive than what he told me. It could still be repaired well, but I plan not to find out. I am picky in my vehicles so I think I'll pass.

Might be a good idea to know who you're talking about before you start generalizing - some of us have more experience than you think.
    Fair enough, I apologize about my generalization. But I stand by my statements about buying a rebuilt car. So what is your experience? Did you buy a salvaged car to rebuild? Did you buy a rebuilt car? Are you in auto body? Insurance? Salvage? Because the rebuilding industry is different than the auto body industry.

No wrecked car, no matter how good the body man, will ever be as straight or as structurally sound after a wreck than the day it left the factory. Take it from someone with experience in the industry - you do not want a car that's been wrecked, even if it was supposedly rebuilt by a pro. Especially a performance car.
    Depends on how it was fixed. If the bent body parts were just beat back into shape, heck no, there's no way it would be as good as it was new. But, if the parts were replaced that's a different story. That's the right way to do it. That's why I recommend a thorough inspection and a good, long test drive.

I've also seen some marginal body work, so I realize what can happen, but I've seen cars done by the best and you wouldn't know they were repaired even if you put them on one of those new laser racks. If the work falls into the former category, run like hell. If the work is in the latter category, you've got a practically new car for half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters
    However, why would anyone want to buy a car that it's repairs most likely exceeded its value? Isn't this the reason insurance companies write them off?
    No, it's not just the cost of repair that totals a car out. There's the compensation, usually in the form of a rental car, for the loss of use of the vehicle. There's also labor cost to fix the car. That's where a good chunk of the cost is. Also, there's the perception that the owner has that the car wouldn't be as good as a new one after the repairs are done. So a lot of times, the insurance company will total out a car with easily fixable damage based on the above factors.
    Will a lending institution loan money on a rebuilt title?
    Depends on your relationship with the institution. If you have a good history with them, they may not have a problem with it. Another choice is borrowing money against a car you already have. Or, a home equity loan.

Lets be honest as well, who is going to straight up with what's wrong with a car?
    The guy who has a family to feed. The guy who has a house payment to make. The guy who relies on his business to do those things. How many people are going to recommend that their friends buy a car from someone who screwed them? How long is someone going to stay in business by screwing people? Let's just be honest here. Who's going to benefit in the long term by not being stratght up with what's wrong with the car?

I will admit that I am a hobbiest when it comes to cars. However, I am an extremely knowledgable hobbiest. I know engines inside and out. I know the mechanics of suspensions, transmissions, differentials, ect.. I am more than casually familiar with bodywork. I could very well go pro in any one of those fields if I so chose. I chose not to go into any of those fields long, long ago because I enjoy them on a hobby basis and did not want to ruin my enjoyment by turning them into a job. (I wonder how a gynecologist does it?)

Therefore, I would have no fear in buying a rebuilt car. On the other hand, if you are not sure what you're getting into, you should not consider buying a rebuilt car. However, I think it's irresponsible to impugn a whole industry of rebuilders if you don't have any experience with them, or based on personal feelings even if you have limited experience in the insurance or bodywork industry.

Quote Originally Posted by e-merlin
    (I wonder how a gynecologist does it?)
    I don't know. I guess you seen one, you seen that all.

I take you points. I suppose it's really down to the situation. Prior to moving to the UK, I lived in Miami, FL. There was a business there that specialized in high-end rebuilt cars or "salvaged" titles. Most were thefts, motor / trans, interior, etc. stripped.

Aside from all that, in your opinion, could a car structually damaged, be made as good as new?

Aside from all that, in your opinion, could a car structually damaged, be made as good as new?
    Depends on how bad the damage is. I wouldn't want to try to repair a car that had taken a hard hit to the center post, but a car that had been rear-ended or one that has front end damage wouldn't be hard to fix. As long as the main structure is solid, you can brace it up and cut away the bent pieces. Then you can weld in the parts that need replacement.

You should take a look at www.ridesafely.com to see what small amount of damage will total out a car. Specifically check out WRXes. You will also notice that the majority of performance cars that get wrecked are wrecked on the front end. Lots of WRX drivers that tailgate!

My parents have a neighbor that did rebuilders as a hobby for several years. I've seen him take a T-bird that had been hit so hard the door was bent to the center of the dash, and when he was done, it looked like it just rolled off the showroom. Not just on the outside, but on the underside, in the engine compartment, everywhere. No wind noise, everything was in alignment. He was a perfectionist. He rebuilt a lot of cars that you wouldn't think could have been. Eventually, he quit his job (around $70K/year) and just did rebuilders. Now he owns a business that just buys and sells cars to rebuild. It's a pretty big industry, and you don't make a name in it if you do shoddy work.

I am seriously thinking about buying a salvage WRX Wagon to rebuild and seriously modify. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone this direction. There's a WRX in a local salvage yard that I'm thinking about buying. They want around $6K for it, and there will be minimal cutting and welding involved, so I can do a lot of modding and still be under $10K. If I do it, I certainly won't take any shortcuts. Plus, I will document everything on video, so I'll have a record of what was done if I decide to sell it. And I'm sure someone would buy a nicely modded (and well repaired) WRX for $10K...If I decided to sell it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.