decisions... decisions

This is a discussion on decisions... decisions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok guys i am new here and want some advice from wrx owners.been searching all day but just want some ...

decisions... decisions

ok guys i am new here and want some advice from wrx owners.been searching all day but just want some discussion

i have a 2004 vw jetta gli, cai, dv, revo 4 bar, turbo back exhaust, and front and rear sway bars. after all that i dyno 173 whp and 230 lbstq. and at the auto x track and the drag strip it is just a little lacking, at least to me, all my friends love my car. but i have maxed out the potential on the stock turbo and with all that torque on street tires i get horrible times at the track. and my jetta weighs 4000lbs so auto x is a little sluggish. from what yall know about vee dubs should i stay with the jetta and do a turbo upgrade or go with a 06 wrx tr. any advice is good advice. and dont say it is just what you want because i really dont know. tell me good and bad about the subie and good mods so i can hang with my buddies at the track.

buddies cars 06 mazda speed miata( last dyno 183 rwhp, handling monster)
    2000 integra gsr with a jdm type r motor( not fast on the street but monster at the track)
    a 1994 z28 and a couple beefed up mustangs.

sorry if i rambled but i just want good advice. thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by glidude
    ok guys i am new here and want some advice from wrx owners.been searching all day but just want some discussion

i have a 2004 vw jetta gli, cai, dv, revo 4 bar, turbo back exhaust, and front and rear sway bars. after all that i dyno 173 whp and 230 lbstq. and at the auto x track and the drag strip it is just a little lacking, at least to me, all my friends love my car. but i have maxed out the potential on the stock turbo and with all that torque on street tires i get horrible times at the track. and my jetta weighs 4000lbs so auto x is a little sluggish. from what yall know about vee dubs should i stay with the jetta and do a turbo upgrade or go with a 06 wrx tr. any advice is good advice. and dont say it is just what you want because i really dont know. tell me good and bad about the subie and good mods so i can hang with my buddies at the track.

buddies cars 06 mazda speed miata( last dyno 183 rwhp, handling monster)
    2000 integra gsr with a jdm type r motor( not fast on the street but monster at the track)
    a 1994 z28 and a couple beefed up mustangs.

sorry if i rambled but i just want good advice. thank you

jettas dont weight 4000 lbs....or anywhere close to that
    vf22 Stage IIII wagon of DOOM

well inside the door jam it says something like 3600 or something like that i dont know exact wieght just want some advice about the wrx.

Are you chiped? If not check out APR's chip for your jetta. How much boost are you running?
    2005 Mazda 6 3.0L V6 5spd
    My CarDomain Site

yep chipped that is the revo with the four bar fuel pressure regulator running 20 lbs of boost on a small k03 turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTiRo
    Are you chiped? If not check out APR's chip for your jetta. How much boost are you running?

G.A.I.C makes really good chips for VW's you should be in the 210whp range with that....after that your stock turbo is maxed out.

you can buy my wrx.

with his mods i would go with apr. but either chip is better than no chip. in my opinion that should be a 1.8t owner's first mod. check out http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/ecu..._jetta18t.html and take a look at the dyno. and you can find more info about modding your car at www.18turbo.com.
    2005 Mazda 6 3.0L V6 5spd
    My CarDomain Site

well i was really wanting to know if i should trade in the jetta for a new wrx tr. what are the pros and cons of the wrx compared to the jetta.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTiRo
    but either chip is better than no chip. in my opinion that should be a 1.8t owner's first mod.

no way. VW's first mod has to be lowering it. 9/10 VW owners will agree

well i was really wanting to know if i should trade in the jetta for a new wrx tr. what are the pros and cons of the wrx compared to the jetta.

jetta more comfort.

wrx. everything else

how is the wrx as far as everyday driving... i drive an hour to school three times a week on the interstate and want a descant ride.

how is the wrx as far as everyday driving... i drive an hour to school three times a week on the interstate and want a descant ride.

i think stock wrx's are quite comfortable for every day driving.

Hey welcome to the club!
    1999 BMW 328i - R.I.P.
    2004 JBP WRX - R.I.P.
    2007 SWP STi
    And Loving Every Minute Of It.

I like the ride personally. It is a nice compromise of giving you a feel for the road while not subjecting you to an overly stiff, loud ride. Also the 2.5l in the 2006 gives it great grunt and makes simply cruising very simple. If you enjoy driving you won't have any problems with the ride in the WRX, but if you look at driving as simply a way to get from point A to B you might be bothered by the feedback the car gives you.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...