I'm the N00b

This is a discussion on I'm the N00b within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all. I finally bought a WRX wagon- something that I've been wanting for years. I've searched the forums a ...

I'm the N00b

Hello all. I finally bought a WRX wagon- something that I've been wanting for years. I've searched the forums a bit to get opinions on different items about the car. I now own a 03 with 60K on the clock, and it was well cared for with regular oil services (it seems to have been owned by an older gentleman who never modified it, I even found a fuel reciept in the paperwork addressed to him). After driving it, I realized it was a gem, even though it had 60k on the clock. No dings or dents on my silver wagon. My previous car was a Spec V (nissan sentra) and I did quite a few mods to it, I have mechanical skills.

So, being that its only seen dino oil and dealer service, I'd like to find out some opinions about changing some items. I'm searching, but this board is so big, its hard to sift through the limitless knowledge and determine who the best posters with the most accurate thoughts. Here are my questions: (hold breath)

@60K, ok to switch to M1 5w30? IS it really that beneficial if we're doing sub 3K mile changes? I'd be changing M1 at 3K. Should I stay dino?
    Redline 75w90 for the rear diff?
    Redline 75w90NS for the tranny?
    When is best and how to cycle at least 50% of the coolant, what to use? Watter wetter make that much difference?
    Up-pipe with 2 bungs = NO CEL?
    turbo timer great for this car?

I'd like to make things comfortable and durable. I wont be doing clutch drops or autoX. Its just a great daily driver with some fun for the back roads. I like to take care of my stuff. I realize that most of those turbo mods (intakes, boost controllers, bov) are not recommended without serious power making.

Modifications in the next 12mos will be: ttimer, kartboy ss/bushing, cobb up-pipe, some sort of catback, cobb accessport

Thanks for your help
    J

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Turbo timer is not neccessary. It won't hurt, but you don't need it.
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

I keep hearing that about ttimers... is it a design specifically for not needing one?

yea its not needed at all cause the turbo still gets cooled down wen the car is off of sumthing like that but i have one...the hks does more things then just let the car run so i got it

Wagons rule man, congrats!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Welcome!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Well, I did most of the fluids.
    Trans - RL 75w90NS
    Diff - RL 75w90
    Oil - Mobil 1 5w30
    Coolant - Subaru + distilled (50/50) + water wetter + conditioner.

Shifts better and finds gears pretty easy now, seems to like running on M1 too sounds better at startup. I didnt like putting conditioner in there, but the law is the law.

Coolant refill question....
    I followed the instructions (but I didnt run it at 2k-3k rpms for a whole 5 minutes)
    I've searched the forums high and low and most of my questions are answered however, I'm curious about how many times the coolant level will fluctuate when its changed. I dont have the radiator fill, so I used the turbo resevoir. Should this level in the resevoir come all the way up to the lip of the filler at some point? I think that there is probably still a little air in the system and I know that removing the rad/res cap constantly to look at it is not always a good thing. Most of these coolant systems rely on vaccum to draw the needed fluid into the system from the overflow. I've only driven it 25 (2 days) miles since I changed it and heated up the motor a few times. When hot, I fill the overflow tank to the full mark and it seems to drink till half way between full and low when it cools over night. However when I take off the rad/res cap, I find that its not completely full to the top of the filler neck lip. Is it going to continue to drink fluid for a couple of days? I read somwhere that it should be watched for a week, but I err on paranoia. I hope that it works all the air out of the system. It must take a few times of heating it up to draw enough back into it. Air blows hot from the heater and the temp is a mm or so lower on the gauge with the new coolant (plus perhaps the water wetter).

Also, what kind of temp gague is in the dash? Is it an idiot style 3 position (cold, operating, overheating) style or does it actually reflect true temperature values?

Thanks
    Jeremy
    03 WGN Perrin SS-Uppipe-ES shifter bushing (on its way)