Thinking about getting an '06 WRX Sport Wagon

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting an '06 WRX Sport Wagon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, newb here, just wondering if the low end torque issue has been solved with the '06. I'm gonna be ...

Thinking about getting an '06 WRX Sport Wagon

Hi, newb here, just wondering if the low end torque issue has been solved with the '06. I'm gonna be going from a family sedan (Mazda 6s) to a WRX so it's a pretty big change. I liked my car but it wasn't what I really wanted performance wise plus it was automatic Hopefully I won't be disappointed. Anyway, looking forward to enjoying my new ride in a few months.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get a wagon! You will love it. The 2.5L motor in the '06 gives the car much better low end torque. I'm not sure if it has fixed the "issue", but it has definately helped.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Thanks!

Yeah I figured with the larger engine the newer WRXs should perform better down low although nothing beats an actual test drive. Maybe next week.

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Good luck on getting your very own WRX!

Oh, and the manual is soooo much better!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I Support ClubWRX
    The '06 wagon will make you 53% more fertile.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    The '06 wagon will make you 53% more fertile.
    No wonder I've been making so many babies lately!
    F4 13 - I'm so lucky!

ive got an 06 wrx wagon, i went the manual route of course. and after the first drive all i could utter was the letters "O M G"

youll love it, and for me, being a photographer and having lots of gear and odd shaped props to lug around, this wagon is a god-send
    Abram Goglanian: Photographer
    WTB: 99-03 Impreza ( RS or WRX )

Ewwww.... Myspace.
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    ...I think they're loud enough to cause spontaneous involuntary pooping of the pants.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe1450
    Hi, newb here, just wondering if the low end torque issue has been solved with the '06. I'm gonna be going from a family sedan (Mazda 6s) to a WRX so it's a pretty big change. I liked my car but it wasn't what I really wanted performance wise plus it was automatic Hopefully I won't be disappointed. Anyway, looking forward to enjoying my new ride in a few months.
    1. get the car
    1a. enjoy
    2. get cobb access port
    2a. wait for it to arrive
    3. flash to stage 1
    3a. enjoy
    4. buy downpipe
    4a. wait for it to arrive, then install it and proceed immediately to step 5
    5. flash to stage 2
    5a. nirvana

I would recommend a WRX to everyone at this point. If you want more room, go for the wagon, if you want refinement, buy the Saabaru. If you want a better resale and higher modding potential go for the STI.

You'll find that you get nods and waves from other Subaru and Saabaru drivers, it's a fun car to drive, and I've yet to find the person who doesn't like it once they own it. It has excellent crash test ratings year after year too. In terms of modding, I've never seen a car with such a fleshed out aftermarket other than the late 80's fbody and foxbody cars.

You won't regret it.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

What really sparked my interest in the WRX was having a co-worker that owned one. He has an 03 that he really likes except for the lag down low. He now has the cobb stage 2 and is loving it. So yes modding will be in the future but not for the first couple years or so. However it's good to know there's a huge aftermarket out there I'll be babying it for a while till I master the stick (although I read one never really does). I have only driven stick once or twice in my life and for very short periods, so there'll be lots of stalling till I get it right. I know once I do, the fun begins It's a shame I might have to learn on a new car unless I can find someone willing to let me learn on theirs which is doubtful. Anyway thanks for the positive replies!

Quote Originally Posted by agphotography
    ive got an 06 wrx wagon, i went the manual route of course. and after the first drive all i could utter was the letters "O M G"

youll love it, and for me, being a photographer and having lots of gear and odd shaped props to lug around, this wagon is a god-send
    I'm a computer/laser printer tech so I'm always transporting printers (not big ones), computers or parts so the utility of the wagon will be perfect. And after seeing the specs and pics on Subaru's website there's no doubt there's a decent amount of accessible space back there.

The 2006 WRX has really good low end torque. It is not as strong as the STi, but definetly good torque. Get the wagon!!! I have an 06 wagon and frickin love it!!!
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe1450
    What really sparked my interest in the WRX was having a co-worker that owned one. He has an 03 that he really likes except for the lag down low. He now has the cobb stage 2 and is loving it. So yes modding will be in the future but not for the first couple years or so. However it's good to know there's a huge aftermarket out there I'll be babying it for a while till I master the stick (although I read one never really does). I have only driven stick once or twice in my life and for very short periods, so there'll be lots of stalling till I get it right. I know once I do, the fun begins It's a shame I might have to learn on a new car unless I can find someone willing to let me learn on theirs which is doubtful. Anyway thanks for the positive replies!
    Learning to drive stick in AWD will teach you to drive stick better than most. The car really rewards you for rev matching. I've been driving stick for years, this car has really changed the way I shift. My 350Z is a totally differint beast, but I find myself driving more smoothly in the Z since I got the Subaru for my daily driver.

Now I'm planning on selling the Z, I don't need the extra car payment with my job laying me off, and I never drive the thing anyway - the WRX is more fun, better on gas, faster, and just more enjoyable to drive.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals