new guy - 02 wrx - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on new guy - 02 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i didnt want to start a new thread for it so hopefully i can get some answers here i read ...

i didnt want to start a new thread for it so hopefully i can get some answers here

i read this
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Blow off valve on a stock engine
    Pros:
    Cool sound

Cons:
    Run rich between shifts
    Could cause long term engine problems
    Not necessary until you're running 20+lbs of boost
    Decreased gas mileage
    and the info is nice and all.... but HOW does it cause long term engine problems and HOW does it cause it to run rich?

i cant seem to find this info anywhere

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by $lick Rick
    i didnt want to start a new thread for it so hopefully i can get some answers here

i read this

and the info is nice and all.... but HOW does it cause long term engine problems and HOW does it cause it to run rich?

Looks Like everyone from clubcivic is coming to Clubwrx now. I just became a member today. Remember me? Neweraimports09, lol. I havent bought a WRX yet though. I am looking to picking one up by the end of this summer. I have to sell the bimmer first and straighten out some **** with my bank.

About the BOV question I was wondering the same thing and if you havent noticed I already asked the question on CC.

Quote Originally Posted by $lick Rick View Post

i read this

Only between shifts; that is if it is vented to atmosphere. If it is vented to atmosphere, when you let off the gas, the air is blown out and the MAF has still calculated the fuel for that air, so you get extra gas and not too much air going through the motor.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    Only between shifts; that is if it is vented to atmosphere. If it is vented to atmosphere, when you let off the gas, the air is blown out and the MAF has still calculated the fuel for that air, so you get extra gas and not too much air going through the motor.
    Pretty much.

The stock BPV requires no maintenance, which is also a nice perk. Very reliable.

The MAF is upfront... the BOV is in the middle. Sooby ECUs are very dependent on MAF readings, and when you vent a lot of that pre-metered air to atmosphere, it messes up the ECUs apparently A/F ratio. Some very strong opinions on this matter one way or another, and I'd suggest looking at any BOV/BPV stickies.

General consensus is that you should at least get a 50/50 atmospheric/recirc one to prevent the rich shifts. I'd personally just hold off - go external wastegate later after some modding if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Must be very low miles, those headlights look like they haven't seen alot of driving.
    Michigan Subaru Owners: http://www.misubie.com

Never live in the past, but allways learn from it.

Talk about a blast from the past.

It's funny the things you find when you finally check your email.

Glad to see this place still thriving.

I sold my bugeye to a person who didnt treat it very well...
    I'm currently in the market for another bugeye

Wish me luck!

Nice lookin car! And welcome! Looks like we're both located in Eugene (you bought from the massy on HWY 99 yes?). I just got an 04 not too long ago. send me a message if you ever wanna meet up! Im lookin for WRX owners around town to chat with etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good luck in your search.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

hey man, uhh, welcome, 4 years ago :P

There's something about these forums - brings out the necrophilia in all of us...

Nice bugeye, and yeah, get a new one! We resurrected a whole thread not long ago about why people prefer the old wrx's over the new ones, even though the new ones are better in every way

Maybe get a wagon?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Nice car, I just got my 02 WRX 5 days ago and love it. it looks something like yours but has a different body kit. Nice car though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Must be very low miles, those headlights look like they haven't seen alot of driving.
    hey, the car is only 4 or 5 years old in those pictures...
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12