she pulls to the left

This is a discussion on she pulls to the left within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! I just recently purchased an '02 WRX Sedan. I'm loving the car (and the ability to pass people at ...

she pulls to the left

Hello!

I just recently purchased an '02 WRX Sedan. I'm loving the car (and the ability to pass people at will for the first time). I have had some interesting discoveries since I bought several weeks ago:

- It has the clutch shudder when cold that affected all '02's. I realize the car is almost 5 years old, but it only has 34K miles. I took it to the dealer to see if they would perform the TSB to fix the issue. They were able to confirm the problem, but said that since it was out of warranty Subaru would not cover it (he apparently called Subaru to confirm). I explained how the majority of the parts on the TSB were "drivetrain" parts and that the drivetrain warranty is 5/50. They claimed the source of the problem was the clutch and that's a wear item so I was out of luck.. Regular price to fix is $1,400 he said. Is the TSB worth pursuing? Anyone get Subaru to fix this out of warranty? The car is otherwise in great shape and this issue can be annoying at times.

- When under heavy acceleration it pulls to the left. It doesn't do this under heavy braking or when I'm just cruising down the road. Will an alignment fix this? I've read up on the suggested specs for getting an alignment done, but is it the source of my problem?

- I do have Dunlop SP Sport A2 225/50/16's on the car and they seem to tramline a bit. The car feels kinda flighty at times. Is this the result of wider than stock tires, these specific tires or just my getting used to AWD?

Thanks in advance!

--
    Derek Spencer
    derek@zcar.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get your differential looked at, pulling to the left sounds like torque steer.

have you checked the tire pressure. if the pressure is lower in one tire than in the rest then the car might turn that way.

I Support ClubWRX
    Under heavy acceleration, my STi has always pulled slightly to the left. It has always been noticeable to me but it is certainly not severe. I have had it aligned several times and never had any problems with uneven tire wear (my last set of tires lasted over 30k miles). I have heard that this, slight pull under heavy acceleration, is not uncommon on turbo vehicles. I wouldn't worry too much unless it is severe. All that said, it can't hurt to ask your dealer about it.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC