noob to soobs... thunking issue!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on noob to soobs... thunking issue! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I did a search found some somewhat useful info and some that actually might relate, but I wan't some confirmation ...

Arrow noob to soobs... thunking issue!

I did a search found some somewhat useful info and some that actually might relate, but I wan't some confirmation before I go further. When I first put my car into gear ('04 STI, if you couldn't guess) and I let the clutch out I sometimes hear a thunk\knock in the rear of the car. I believe it's too far back to be part of the trans, I'm thinking it the Rear Diff maybe, or perhaps center Diff. Sounds like it's off to the right of the car, but being as I'm sitting on the left you can't take my word for it. In one of the posts I read it said that STI have this problem and Scoobie doesn't know what causes it. Does this sound like the same thing? Could it be a Ujoint in the rear diff with a bad seal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Being that I've only had this car for a few weeks it would be kind of discouraging if the dealer sold me a car with a bad rear diff.
    First Mod: Flux Capacitor
    Second Mod: 88 MPH Governor

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bumper cars...

When do you hear the clunk? I have 02 WRX and I hear a clunk when I back up and hit the brakes, and then the first time I hit the brakes when going forward. I made a thread about this noise in the maintanance forum just recently, some ideas were thrown around as to the brake pads in the calipers but I searched my caliper setup and can't find any conclusive evidence.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy
    When do you hear the clunk? I have 02 WRX and I hear a clunk when I back up and hit the brakes, and then the first time I hit the brakes when going forward. I made a thread about this noise in the maintanance forum just recently, some ideas were thrown around as to the brake pads in the calipers but I searched my caliper setup and can't find any conclusive evidence.
    This is definatley a drivetrain issue I am having. I hear it when going from a stop, releasing the clutch and giving it some gas. also hear it when engine breaking and the car drops just under 2k rpm then I hit the gas again. It's a very quick thunk or knock, and this is the only time I hear it. I read on NASIOC that STI do make some funny noises and especially when power is being transferred btw the Center Diff, I'm just wondering if this is the issue. It's also a possiblility it's a U-Joint, If it's a U-Joint, what should I be looking for?

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the following:
    1. Rear strut.....this is often the source of a thunk noise from the rear. The struts on the 04 had some issues. Seems like a bat "batch" got used. Bounce the car up and down with your arms and see if you can hear the noise.

2. Exhaust banging on the diff. The hangers tend to loosen up and the clearances for the exhaust are pretty tight. This can also be a source.

Usually a diff will make a whirring or grinding noise rather than a thunking noise. It could potentially be a universal joint as the needle bearings can fail, although this is very, very rare in a Subaru.

3. Long shot that it is a wheel bearing, but these can make odd noises prior to failure. Only way to check is to drive it for 10 minutes or so, get out, and feel the rim near the rotor. Be careful, 'cause if it is a wheel bearing, the rim can be hot enough to burn your hand. Subaru's used to have wheel bearing issues but this is not a known problem from 02 on up.

4. You calipers in the rear may be sticking too. This can produce a clunck sound when the pad breaks away from the rotor. Do you often park it with the e brake engaged after some spiritied driving? Sometimes the pads will stick to the rotor when engaging the e-brake for parking. This is a extreme long shot based on you description.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

could be dead

This thread could be dead, but if you are still having problems check trans mounts for loose bolts - I had one on my 02 WRX and did exactly what you say...

Jon

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    I believe it turned out to be a dead body in his trunk that just smacked up trunk lid everytime he gave the car gas.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers
    I believe it turned out to be a dead body in his trunk that just smacked up trunk lid everytime he gave the car gas.
    that's was was thinking too.

isn't there also a thunking issue due to soft bushings? there was a thing about it on the Ravensblade site....its still around but it has moved, and I don't know the new address, but I'm sure he swapped a bushing somewhere near the rear diff to fix a "thunking" problem.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.