Newb with mod questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newb with mod questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Guys, A friend of mine just bought an 02' WRX and it came with a bunch of mods already ...

Newb with mod questions

Hey Guys,
    A friend of mine just bought an 02' WRX and it came with a bunch of mods already on it. Because I'm such a car nut, he came to me to ask what I thought about all the mods. I told him I didn't know much about WRX's, but I would do some research and find out for him.

This is his list of mods right now:
    Perrin Intake, APS Top Mount Intercooler, APS BOV, HKS Grounding System, Perrin Catch Can, Turbo Back exhaust(I think its Tanabe Racing Medalion) with the real wide opening right at the turbo, APEXi AVC Type-R, and GReddy Turbo Timer.

Now some questions. They are numbered so when responding please reference the question number. Thanks.

1. Are these good mods? It seems to me like they are, however I have read bad things about the BOV's and EBC's on WRX's.

2. What type of power do you think he's putting to the wheels right now at about 13.5-14 psi?

3. He is already thinking about getting the COBB Stage 1 programmer, but what else should he consider doing? The car seems to be in pretty good condition.

4. The clutch feels real heavy, so it may have an aftermarket clutch. However, first gear grinds almost everytime you put it in gear. Do the 02's usually have problems with transmissions?

Thanks for all the help you can give me guys. I really want to help him with this car so I have a friend that can actually keep up with me.
    Black 2005 Dodge SRT-4
    265whp 336wtq @20psi Stock Turbo
    276whp 343wtq @22psi Stock Turbo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

Why doesn't your friend get his ass on here and post if he's so concerned?

And, well, here are some links I suggest you check out:
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Another SRT-4 owner Welcome to the Club!
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Why doesn't your friend get his ass on here and post if he's so concerned?
    Because he has no idea how cars work, or how to modify them on his own. All he knows is that he wants a fast car.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    And, well, here are some links I suggest you check out:
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.
    I actually already looked at those and he has most of the mods listed. I forgot to mention he has an UPP too. So.....You guys have been real helpful so far I called Cobb and found that his best bet would be a Pro Tune at a certified Cobb Dealer. So, thanks again for the lack of help so far. I thought the SRT forums were harsh, but you guys are just plain rude and ignorant. Keep up the good work.
    Black 2005 Dodge SRT-4

I Support ClubWRX
    #1 While the 02 ecu's can be run with a BC it is not recommended. Your friend runs the risk of PT/FB with a BC which is not a good thing at all. As for the BOV it's pointless and most intakes will make the car run lean.

#2 Depending on what dyno I wouldnt say anymore then 170. All the mods you listed will not work well with each other unless properly tuned.....which the car isnt at this point.

#3 If he has a TBE then he would flash to stage 2. As far as easy mods your friend should put the stock air system back in and the stock BPV. Neither of these systems are stressed by the stock turbo. Then your friend could run stg2, but with the larger TMIC it might be a tad bit laggy. I would also sell the Turbo Timer and fine a good uppipe. A catless UP will increase spool by about 500 rpms. The TT is pointless as these turbos are cooled by oil and coolant and dont need to idle to cool down.

#4 For the most part it is well accepted that wrx's tranny's are not the strongest. The heavy clutch would actually hurt the gears much faster then the stock clutch. 02-early 03 gears are actually the weakest gears in a wrx. If 1st is grinding try to swap out tranny fluid to a good synthetic.

#5 It appears that this car was setup for a larger turbo and someone retuned it back to semi stock to unload it. Either that or someone was just plain stupid with a credit card and didnt research any mods. Either way there is a good chance this car was beat on pretty good. Tell your friend good luck and do some research. And yes I know you didnt have a #5 listed.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bflaker

So, thanks again for the lack of help so far. I thought the SRT forums were harsh, but you guys are just plain rude and ignorant. Keep up the good work.
    Geez guy....give it time....one person responded to your post who wasnt all that helpful. Doesnt mean that this forum sucks and that we are rude and ignorant (althrough if you stay around for more then a night I wouldnt argue that some of us arent).

Not everyone is going to type in this thread and answer the same questions that have been asked several times before. Some will through so no use in pissing out your camp fire before everyone gets a chance to make smores.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Geez guy....give it time....one person responded to your post who wasnt all that helpful. Doesnt mean that this forum sucks and that we are rude and ignorant (althrough if you stay around for more then a night I wouldnt argue that some of us arent).

Not everyone is going to type in this thread and answer the same questions that have been asked several times before. Some will through so no use in pissing out your camp fire before everyone gets a chance to make smores.
    I know. It was just that the first two posts right off the bat set a bad example. I appreciate you helping though. I think he's going to leave all the stuff on though and take it and get it tuned on a dyno at a certified Cobb Dealer. That way everything works in harmony. I'm pretty sure we will be taking the APEXi AVC off though. I'll try the trans fluid change. We have a flush machine at my garage that can suck out the old and replace it with new fluid all at once. Its pretty slick. What is your opinion about getting the car tuned with all the mods on it that he has. What kind of power do you think he will be making then?
    Black 2005 Dodge SRT-4

My post was not sarcastic. Check my sig. I own a SRT-4. I was being serious.
    2006 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    With a good protune and depending on what kind of a dyno anywhere from 220-240 at the wheels. I would lose the BOV, TT, EBC. The intake can be tuned for as can the larger TMIC. The larger TMIC isnt really needed on the stock turbo, and will probaly make the car lag more then it'll help, but the protuner shoudl be able to fix some/most of it. Good luck

With a good protune and depending on what kind of a dyno anywhere from 220-240 at the wheels. I would lose the BOV, TT, EBC. The intake can be tuned for as can the larger TMIC. The larger TMIC isnt really needed on the stock turbo, and will probaly make the car lag more then it'll help, but the protuner shoudl be able to fix some/most of it. Good luck
    Cool. Thanks again for the help.

And to the SRT-4 owner: I didn't even look at your sig. Sorry. I thought you were a WRX owner that was being sarcastic. Sorry for the confusion brother.
    Black 2005 Dodge SRT-4

Peachypumpkincheeks

Not everyone is going to type in this thread and answer the same questions that have been asked a million bajillion times before. Some will through so no use in pissing out your camp fire before everyone gets a chance to make smores.
    +1000000

And I got your thread going, didn't I? And I still think you should have your friend post on here too so he can do some of his own looking around. That's how we all learned.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Its all good. You should stick around this forum. We need more of us SRT-4 guys. I would go to a SRT-4 forum, but this is my home.
    2006 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers
    Its all good. You should stick around this forum. We need more of us SRT-4 guys. I would go to a SRT-4 forum, but this is my home.
    Didnt you make some thread about a snow meet and get banned there???

Didnt you make some thread about a snow meet and get banned there???
    Joke?
    2006 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers
    Joke?
    It's not a joke at all....I know that the wrx is the best 4 door turbo car ever made......period.

it was a joke.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.