AP stage 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on AP stage 1 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all!!!!, I'm a noobe and just purchased an 06 wrx. My question is an easy one. Should I get ...

AP stage 1

Hi all!!!!, I'm a noobe and just purchased an 06 wrx. My question is an easy one. Should I get an Cobb Ap Stage 1 and just put up with the wife complaining? Is it worth it? Money isn't the issue, she thinks its just a waste. Thanks for all the great info on this site.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am in the same boat as you. I have heard mixed opinions on the 2006 since it doesn't have the same performance increase as for the older models. I would say it would be a good idea to do if you ever are going to change the downpipe and make it a stage 2. But for me I am going to leave my car stock for now until the warranty starts to get close to the end to do Stage 1 then stage 2!

With the Stage 1, I like how the torque curve would be greatly increased at the low end right where the rpms are when you cruising on the highway. I had some guy in a turbo honda wanting to race but I just smiled and waved. It seemed like when he would let off and get back on it to try to get me to race that honda seemed pull a lot harder than what my rex would even after shifting down into 4th. So would the Stage 1 be worth it or should I just wait and and get the Stage 2 and the tbe?

You know what now that I look at that curve again stage 1 looks kinda nice. I think might buy that after I get a few thousand miles on the car. Heck go for it, and in the future you could get just the downpipe and have a mighty stage 2 sleepa! Now you just have to convinve the wife!

3rd gear should be your racing gear esp on the freeway. 4th should be your final gear and 5th is just asking to die.
    Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

I'm unsure (because I've never tried it) about shifting down to 3rd at 60mph+. Would my rex have enough hp or rpms left to do the job? Does anybody know if the ap increases the rpm limit?

Quote Originally Posted by 06grayrex
    I'm unsure (because I've never tried it) about shifting down to 3rd at 60mph+. Would my rex have enough hp or rpms left to do the job? Does anybody know if the ap increases the rpm limit?
    I am not sure if the AP increases the limit of the RPMs. But I do know that you should have enough room to down it to 3rd gear. Just keep in mind when you do down it to 3rd gear, keep your revs high enough so that it would catch smoother. I would suggest keeping the rev at like around 5500 rpms.

But then again, you have a WRX and I have a STi and the gear ratios are a little different. But I don't think that there would be any problem with that.
    Looks are everything...

Banned
    I'm chillin at stage 1 in my 06 and I love it. You aren't going to be thrown back in the seat much harder with it, but it smooths out the powerband and the overall ride is much better. You will get a little quicker, tho. Plus, once you get an AP, the voices in your head will keep telling you how great a downpipe will be :-) The AP is a handy tool, also. You can pull codes & monitor boost.

Hi all!!!!, I'm a noobe and just purchased an 06 wrx. My question is an easy one. Should I get an Cobb Ap Stage 1 and just put up with the wife complaining? Is it worth it? Money isn't the issue, she thinks its just a waste. Thanks for all the great info on this site.

When I first got my 06, i was thrilled. After my stage 1, i was ecstatic! The first thing I noticed (i also have a boost gauge) is how it pulls all the way to 5.5k. after that, the stock turbo isn't doing much...

You'll also notice the power feels much more linear. You can't tell much in 1st gear, but after 2nd gear, the fun starts at full throttle. The power is smoother, vs the choppiness @ stock. There is a definite gain in power at the top end. the clutch seemed to grab sooner.....i know, an electronic upgrade seems like it can't affect the static nature of mechanical physics, but maybe it's the new torque curve. The clutch & flywheel just "felt" like it grabbed differently.

Definitely worth the money, you'll feel like you have a different car. Spend a bit more for a catless downpipe & exhaust, you're in stock STi territory. Another plus is the plethora of pre-made maps from Cobb, allows for future flexibility. Last, but not least, when i park at the airport or questionable areas, I put on the Anti-theft map, and the engine will NOT turn over. so even hotwiring, or stolen keys, the the WRX isn't going anywhere unless towed.
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

Well I ordered the AP Stage 1 and also took a major ass eating from the wife, I just hope it was worth it. I ordered it from work and before I could tell my wife that I did, she checked the emails and the conformation was there from cobb. That phone call wasn't pleasant. Oh well she will get over it. I Hope!!!!

...what was Indiana Jones weapon of choice?

Any takers?

2006 WRX TR: TurboXS RFL-Ti TBE, GR+ Pro Coilovers and all supporting suspension mods, Stage 3 block with CP pistons, 18g, P&L FMIC, deatschwerk 750cc injectors, PPG gears

Well I ordered the AP Stage 1 and also took a major ass eating from the wife, I just hope it was worth it. I ordered it from work and before I could tell my wife that I did, she checked the emails and the conformation was there from cobb. That phone call wasn't pleasant. Oh well she will get over it. I Hope!!!!
    I've pulled that one before. But I usualy brake the news via instant messenger lol.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Sleeping on the couch with a Stage 1 WRX in your garage > everything

Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

< AP stage 2 in your garage...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

hahaha shoulda bought a megan downpipe for 165 along with the AP and then taken the asschewin from the wife....atleast then you will feel a huge difference in power and powerband delivery

stage 2 FTW as soon as you get there you will wonder why u didnt do it sooner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast