Looking for some advice on a wrx..

This is a discussion on Looking for some advice on a wrx.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! Great forum you guys have around here. I'm looking to purchase a newer wrx probably a 2004+ but ...

Looking for some advice on a wrx..

Hey guys! Great forum you guys have around here. I'm looking to purchase a newer wrx probably a 2004+ but we'll see. I would like to know if a wrx is a reliable car, easy to maintain etc.. I'm looking to keep this car for awhile (5 years maybe..) Will it last? I want something that I can dump my money into and still be able to have some life once it gets higher up in the miles (100k+). I've been interested in these cars for awhile now but the fact I keep hearing how the tranny is terrible which refrains me from jumping on and purchasing one. I'm like everyone else who likes to drive hard at times throughout the day. I don't want to have to worry about a car's tranny lasting the day. I know certain events will pop up in which you may need to fix here and there but I don't want it to be habit in which I have to spend all my money fixing the car. If you can leave me with any info worth looking at I would appreciate it a lot!

Thanks,
    Erik

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you search around the forums a bit, you'll see that there are many people who have passed the 100,000 mile marker on stock and slightly modded wrx's. Granted, the more mods that you put on ANY car, the more power will be forced on the stock internals, thus lowering the reliablity of the car. After about Stage 2 (turboback exhaust and Engine Managment), reliablity starts to diminsh. I would hardly say the tranny is terrible.... it just isnt great. The 02/03's had it worst, but the 04/05's transmissions were upgraded, along with the 06's. If you read the horror stories of people breaking their transmission, it usually happens to second gear... because most of them slam it into second while racing. The car was designed to have200 some odd horsepwer running through it, but slamming into second in an AWD car is extremely tough on the tranny. Do it enough and it WILL break. But there are people who run 300awhp on stock 02 trannys and have no problem, so it all depends on the driver....treat your car nicely, and it wont die on you! Overall, i would definately say that WRX's are reliable cars... get the 06 is you dont mind the new frontend
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

bro wrxs are slow and not reliable at all...keep tellin yourself that then go buy one...you will love it even more!

seriously there built tough and seemingly last like all other subarus do...for a long time... the awd and the turbo prolly make it the most fun car for a budget buyer i honestly dont think unless your use to highend cars with massive horsepower and second to none in luxury theres a more sensable car in all aspects as the wrx, reliabilty safety power and handling pretty much describes the car man

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx
    If you search around the forums a bit, you'll see that there are many people who have passed the 100,000 mile marker on stock and slightly modded wrx's. Granted, the more mods that you put on ANY car, the more power will be forced on the stock internals, thus lowering the reliablity of the car. After about Stage 2 (turboback exhaust and Engine Managment), reliablity starts to diminsh. I would hardly say the tranny is terrible.... it just isnt great. The 02/03's had it worst, but the 04/05's transmissions were upgraded, along with the 06's. If you read the horror stories of people breaking their transmission, it usually happens to second gear... because most of them slam it into second while racing. The car was designed to have200 some odd horsepwer running through it, but slamming into second in an AWD car is extremely tough on the tranny. Do it enough and it WILL break. But there are people who run 300awhp on stock 02 trannys and have no problem, so it all depends on the driver....treat your car nicely, and it wont die on you! Overall, i would definately say that WRX's are reliable cars... get the 06 is you dont mind the new frontend
    My post would be pretty much exactly what he said, but not as eloquent and I probably wouldn't have been inclined to use the word "stock internals", so I'm glad he got here first.

Subaru's reliability is in direct relation to the owner's treatment of the car.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar