New member here

This is a discussion on New member here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey whats up everybody, Im jason. I just traded in my 04 svt focus for a black 04 wrx with ...

New member here

Hey whats up everybody, Im jason. I just traded in my 04 svt focus for a black 04 wrx with 13,000 miles on it. I got it for 17,800, a real good deal. Anyway I've been browsing the forums a lot and just wanted to say whats up. I think my first mods are gonna be a turbo timer, some tints, boost gauge, and a blow off valve. I have hear a lot of things about the bov making you run rich inbewteen shifts. Which is the best one out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First off, welcome to the club and congrats on getting the Rex.
    As for the BOV, most people on here will suggest not to get one. However, if you're dead set on getting one, I would strongly suggest going with a 100% recirculating style. The stock BPV (by-pass valve) sends 100% of the pressure back into the intake. Certain aftermarket valves will do the same thing. However, I'm not certain exactly which ones.
    One more thing, a turbo timer isn't needed on a WRX. It won't hurt anything, it's just kind of a waste of money.
    If you want power, go full-catless uppipe/downpipe and some sort of engine management. I use Cobb's AP personally. www.cobbtuning.com
    Good luck with the new car.

psycho
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe
    As for the BOV, most people on here will suggest not to get one. However, if you're dead set on getting one, I would strongly suggest going with a 100% recirculating style. The stock BPV (by-pass valve) sends 100% of the pressure back into the intake. Certain aftermarket valves will do the same thing. However, I'm not certain exactly which ones.
    One more thing, a turbo timer isn't needed on a WRX. It won't hurt anything, it's just kind of a waste of money.
    If you want power, go full-catless uppipe/downpipe and some sort of engine management. I use Cobb's AP personally. www.cobbtuning.com
    Good luck with the new car.

psycho
    Welcome to the club...

+1 on not getting a BOV. It is really of no use unless your just getting it for that "ppssstttt" sound. If you are determined on getting a BOV for that sound. Might I suggest getting a Hybrid BOV. of the pressure is recirculated back while the other is sent to the atmosphere. If you get a 100% atmospheric BOV, it will make you run lean between shifts.

+1 on not getting a turbo timer. It really of no use to get one.

As for me, I would rather saved that money and invest in something that will definitely yield power. In fact, I suggest starting off with engine management like a Cobb AP. Once you get that, you can start working on your actual upgrades like TBE and up pipe, etc...
    Looks are everything...

Peachypumpkincheeks

^^^^ I 100% agree with the two above posts.

and welcome to The Club!!!!

And here are some links I suggest you check out!
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Can i get the cobb stage 2 without the TBE? Can I get the stage 1 then add a tbe? Is there a difference between the computers in the stage 1 and 2 or is just the tbe. Also what is the best priced TBE?

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by pinacup7
    Can i get the cobb stage 2 without the TBE? Can I get the stage 1 then add a tbe? Is there a difference between the computers in the stage 1 and 2 or is just the tbe. Also what is the best priced TBE?
    You can just get the Cobb Stage 2 accessport without the turboback exhaust, but it is recommended then that you get the TBE from elsewhere (that's what most people do because it's cheaper). Honestly, it's kind of necessary to get the TBE first, because that's what the Cobb AP is tuned for. If you went to www.cobbtuning.com, you'd see that the difference in the computers is their maps (as in how much hp they're tuned for). With Stage 1 (and a TBE) you'll have about 35 more hp, with Stage 2 (and TBE) you'll gain about 55 more hp (Stage 2 is the better buy). Personally, I would save up until you can buy a TBE and AP at the same time. I suggest searching around on this site to find the best deal and best manufacturer's of the TBE that's right for you. Definitely check out the links I gave you as well.

Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Just want to make a little correction on my last post before someone starts really correcting me. As stated, when you get a 100% atmosperic BOV, instead of running lean, you actually run rich in between shifts. Don't know what I was typing.

You can still get a Cobb AP. Engine management should be the first thing that you want to get with the Suby. You can run the AP at stage one even before you do any actual physical upgrades on your Suby. It basically just releases the true potential of your car. But if you want to go to stage 2, that is when you will definitely need to get a TBE. You don't have to purchase it from Cobb, you can get any TBE. Then all you have to do is just change the maps. You should read up on it on their web site.

Good luck...
    Looks are everything...