Ups and Downs with a WRX

This is a discussion on Ups and Downs with a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am been thinking about getting a WRX lately and I have questions. I have always admired the the first ...

Ups and Downs with a WRX

I am been thinking about getting a WRX lately and I have questions. I have always admired the the first WRX and really want to get one. Right now I have a 96 Celica in which I modded and tuned by dropping in a 3sgte, but I think its time to move on. I have always been upssed with AWD and that is the main reason I want a WRX. (I hate EVOs, POS 4g63) I was wondering how the reliability and how hard is it to work on one. Since I owned the Celica, it never ever broke down and it was sooo easy to work, and I know a WRX will be harder to work on. Which Im not too scared of but I also don't want it to be a pain in the ass to do anything on it. I will probably be modding it, but not to heavily and I was wondering how realiable they are? Can it last atleast 110k miles? And my main question is, is it fun to drive? (I know its a stupid question but seriously). What are the major up and downs to a WRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

pos 4g63?

Anyways, most of the stuff you asked can be found just by looking around on the forum. As far as reliabilty though, my car oly has 20k miles on it, but I still havent been to the dealer since the first day I bought. Ive done my own oil changes, maintenance etc, and most mods except for the exhaust and springs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well the ups are pretty obvious to the naked eye (Four doors, AWD, power, handling, decent interior, modabitliy, reliable with many members making it over 100k with little issues, the fellow co-owners are usually a great community).

The doors are often times overlooked. The fit and finish is nothing great (it's fine for a performance 25k dollar car IMHO). The stock radio is not that great. The car can have rattles (mine has none at 5k miles). The paint is laughable even if you do wash/wax it. The tranny is purely horrible. Even if you can drive it without breaking it, it does not give you hardly and confidence in anything you do. The stock tires leave atleast to be desired (althrough I've havent had any real issues with them).

I would really test drive the car before making up your mind. If you are buying new you have a few more options to think about (TR, reg. wrx or LTD). Also depending on your budget you might want to consider a new or used sti (By far the best way to go IMHO).

And -1 for ripping the 4g63 it's a great powerplant for street level performance IMHO.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Well the ups are pretty obvious to the naked eye (Four doors, AWD, power, handling, decent interior, modabitliy, reliable with many members making it over 100k with little issues, the fellow co-owners are usually a great community).

The doors are often times overlooked. The fit and finish is nothing great (it's fine for a performance 25k dollar car IMHO). The stock radio is not that great. The car can have rattles (mine has none at 5k miles). The paint is laughable even if you do wash/wax it. The tranny is purely horrible. Even if you can drive it without breaking it, it does not give you hardly and confidence in anything you do. The stock tires leave atleast to be desired (althrough I've havent had any real issues with them).

I would really test drive the car before making up your mind. If you are buying new you have a few more options to think about (TR, reg. wrx or LTD). Also depending on your budget you might want to consider a new or used sti (By far the best way to go IMHO).

And -1 for ripping the 4g63 it's a great powerplant for street level performance IMHO.
    The reason I was ripping on the 4g63 because it has horrible reliability and its also on 18psi making only around 300hp where the 3rd gen 3sgte running on 7psi makes 260hp and they both have the same displacement. With 14 psi the 3s can make well over 310hp.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well the 02-05 wrx shares the same displacements, runs less 14 lbs of boost, and makes less hp then both motors you listed......so I was confused.

4g63 will own a ej205 any day of the week if you ask me.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

ODJ

Exclamation don't forget

Let's not gloss over the fact that you also have the option of an AWD, turbocharged wagon (opinion certifiably biased).

What's going to happen to the 3sgte Celica?

Quote Originally Posted by ODJ
    Let's not gloss over the fact that you also have the option of an AWD, turbocharged wagon (opinion certifiably biased).

What's going to happen to the 3sgte Celica?
    I am either going to sell it to my cousin or give it to my brother.The only reason I want to move on from the celica is because I want more than 300hp and with the stock tranny I can't grip the road at all and a MR2 LSD tranny is going to cost me $$$$. I am tired of FWD and I want to move on AWD.

I don't want the wagon, I was really hoping to get the 2002 sedan.