Which gauges to get

This is a discussion on Which gauges to get within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I'm looking to get a gauge pod for the dash (where the clock is) and i'm not postive ...

Which gauges to get

Hey all, I'm looking to get a gauge pod for the dash (where the clock is) and i'm not postive what gauges to get. I know I want a boost gauge, but I've never had any gauges other than that. What two gauges (reasonably priced) would be most beneficial.

Thanks.
    Soup
    2006 WRBlue WRX
    Cobb Tuned to Stage II, Helix Catted DP, Invidia 3" Catback
    Cobb: Short Shifter, Sport Springs, Shifter Bushings, Trans Mount, Front/Rear Sway Bars
    Redline Hood Dampeners
    20% Tint

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You want to have a boost gauge and an EGT gauge. The third one is a tossup between oil temp. and oil pressure. There are reasons for both but I think that the oil temp will be better suited for a daily driver who doesn't really race. It will basically let you know when the oil is warmed up and once that happens you can open her up.

Another gauge question, I've been looking at different 60mm gauges and it seems like the only 60mm boost gauges are in kg/cm2. Are there any that are in psi?? Or would I have to either settle for the kg/cm2 or get a psi gauge thats 2 1/6"?? Just wondering.

Thanks
    2006 WRBlue WRX
    Cobb Tuned to Stage II, Helix Catted DP, Invidia 3" Catback
    Cobb: Short Shifter, Sport Springs, Shifter Bushings, Trans Mount, Front/Rear Sway Bars
    Redline Hood Dampeners
    20% Tint

I would wait on the EGT gauge... You're only at stage 1 (according to your signature). An EGT is necessary, but really only after you start pushin a lot of HP when you really want to know whats going on with your cars exhaust temp. The EGT is also a PITA to install if you're going to mount it in the header.

I would vote:
    Boost
    Oil Presure (important gauge to have cause it will tell you if something is wrong before your idiot light comes on)
    Air/Fuel ratio gauge - Only wideband though. Narrow band won't tell you jack.

Autometer makes some good gauges at a lower cost, but have still not made a wide band AF ratio gauge.

Defi = great but expensive
    Greddy = but I don't believe they make any gauges in standard US measurements.

But do a search, you will find MANY threads discussing this.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

The AF gauge is useless unless your way into modding and you want to start to do your own tuning. Other than that 90% of the WRX community uses the EGT. Plus wide-band AF gauges are expensive. If you don't go wide-band then you will have a useless little light show in your car.

Oil Temperature and Oil Pressure are up to you since people want them for different things. I personally have Boost and EGT in the cluster bezel and cant complain. Maybe later on I will get the rest of the gauges but when you start Boost and EGT are the way to go, that's what the majority of people will tell you as well. There have been some cases where some of the older WRXs did not like the COBB map (same with any EM company) where the EGTs got too high and caused some bad things to happen.

As for gauge choice, I went with Omori gauges because they had the stock look.