Hoping to own a WRX of my own.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hoping to own a WRX of my own. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, I thought Id introduce myself. My name is Peter. I live out in So.Cali. Im 23 soon to ...

Hoping to own a WRX of my own.

Hey everyone, I thought Id introduce myself. My name is Peter. I live out in So.Cali. Im 23 soon to be 24 (damn, time flies). Im a big car nut. I attend Pasadena Art Center, but have been taking a break for the past 2 and a half years and working. I might not go back. Considering a different study (dont know what, yet).

Im currently driving my dads 2003 Honda Accord EX sedan (I know, I know...at least it gets me from A to B). I also have a 1967 Mercury Cougar Xr7 (A current project Im working on).

I've always admired WRXs ever since they came out. Unfortunately I never got around to actually getting one. I like WRXs, but my friend always talks about how they fall apart, and how they are poorly built. I really want to prove my friend wrong, because I know these cars are awesome. I plan on getting the new WRX impreza wagon, and if thats not available ill go for the sedan for myself on my 25th bday. I want to get the car in automatic, because I do drive the 405 almost everyday and that freeway is like traffic prone....and im kinda lazy...haha. I do and plan on driving my cars for at least 5 years. Id appreciate any info, opinions, vouches for the car, recommendations, etc. These cars will last me a while as long as I take care of it right? Just wanna make sure before I commit, and spend the money. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1. your friend has no idea what he's talking about.
    2. I had an '88 XR-7 - not quite as nice as the origional, but they're awesome cars
    3. get a stick, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't
    4. beware of the 'mod' bug, for it comes on strong and fast

EDIT: here's a good thread to read:
    Thinking of buying a rex
    Last edited by Kush; 05-03-2006 at 08:23 PM.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Thanks...

I appreciate the reply. Yeah, I feel the same way about my friend. He sometimes thinks he knows everything there is about cars, and likes to pretend he's the s**t. Im actually still debating between auto, and manual. I do deal with a lot of traffic on my way to work most of the times so a little convinience is always appreciated. I want a new WRX pretty bad. Even if it is hard on me....I might bite the bullet and get it sooner then on my 25th bday.

88 cougar, ey? My friend mentioned above actually got me into the whole classic scene. He himself owns a 67 Mustang Coupe. It was a year ago when this friend called me up, and was like "You interested in buying a car for $750 from a friend of mine, its a classic?" I wasn't sure so I asked my buddy if we could go check out the ride first. We went there, and there was my 1967 Mercury Cougar xr7 sitting there with its torn up vinyl top, old stock hub caps. I still wasnt sure, but when I heard the V8 start up....I was like "SOLD!" I've driven hondas all my life, and actually getting to hear the american muscle power was music to my ears. Ive dumped about $13K into that car...still got a little more to go though (A few more extra things, cosmetics, and a $8k body and paint job). Anyways, enough about my project. haha.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by GuishinWRX; 05-04-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    1. your friend has no idea what he's talking about.
    3. get a stick, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't
    4. beware of the 'mod' bug, for it comes on strong and fast

EDIT: here's a good thread to read:
    Thinking of buying a rex
    +1

Subarus are extremely reliable and extremely safe. 405 miles is ALOT of traffic and driving, so test drive both the manual and stick and see which one fits you better. And modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!

Oh and and welcome to The Club!!!!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

sup?!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    +1

Subarus are extremely reliable and extremely safe. 405 miles is ALOT of traffic and driving, so test drive both the manual and stick and see which one fits you better. And modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!

Oh and and welcome to The Club!!!!

Hey Heather I appreciate the warm hello, and welcome. 405 is actually a freeway, but I do drive 160 miles a week, so a month would be about 640 miles driven. I will definately go test drive both the automatic, and manual to see which one id like better. Oh, and that modding disease....I've been diagnosed with it for a while...probably going to worsen when I get the WRX. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by GuishinWRX
    I attend Pasadena Art Center, but have been taking a break for the past 2 and a half years and working. I might not go back. Considering a different study (dont know what, yet).

Cool. I'm hoping to go there in a few years to major in transportation design.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome!

A WRX is a solid car choice.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

And modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!

New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Peachypumpkincheeks

Hey Heather I appreciate the warm hello, and welcome. 405 is actually a freeway, but I do drive 160 miles a week, so a month would be about 640 miles driven. I will definately go test drive both the automatic, and manual to see which one id like better. Oh, and that modding disease....I've been diagnosed with it for a while...probably going to worsen when I get the WRX. haha.
    OH! 405 is a road, NOT how many miles you drive a day!!! My bad.

640 miles/month is like nothing! Now you HAVE to get a manual!!!

Okay, and since you admittedly have the modding bug already, here are some links I suggest you check out:
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.

Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

640 miles/month is like nothing! Now you HAVE to get a manual!!!
    +1, I average 300-400 every week!
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

welcome get the manual
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

Get the wagon!!! (manual)
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Please, get the manual. You will not regret it later on once you learn how to drive it.

I've driven a manual for the past 5 years (5spd new beetle, 5spd wrx) in a heavy Chicago traffic and I never even thought of maybe getting an auto. Heck, I even learned how to drive a 13 speed semi truck in less then 6 hours before a CDL exam.

Manual is teh fAsTAR!

ps.
    Go for a Wagon, too!
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Is it that bad?

Ive been reading through the forums, and have read that the 06 wrx's have a poor paint job and have an annoying rattle problem that appears after about 30,000 miles.I think I can deal with the poor paint job, but I dont know if I can deal with the whole rattle problem. My old daily driver that I recently sold (1993 Honda Accord Wagon LX) rattled/shook pretty bad at stops due to the automatic transmission (a problem for early 90s accords), and motor mounts. Ive been dealing with this for the past 5 years or so, and dont know If I can go through it again. Its probably not as bad as I think it is for the WRX, but im just curious. Any experiences with the problems mentioned above? Thanks in advance.

Ive been reading through the forums, and have read that the 06 wrx's have a poor paint job and have an annoying rattle problem that appears after about 30,000 miles.I think I can deal with the poor paint job, but I dont know if I can deal with the whole rattle problem. My old daily driver that I recently sold (1993 Honda Accord Wagon LX) rattled/shook pretty bad at stops due to the automatic transmission (a problem for early 90s accords), and motor mounts. Ive been dealing with this for the past 5 years or so, and dont know If I can go through it again. Its probably not as bad as I think it is for the WRX, but im just curious. Any experiences with the problems mentioned above? Thanks in advance.
    I had rattling in my 05 Wagon in the winter. It came from the cargo area and I contribute it to the fact that low (~20F) temps in the winter shrink the plastics etc and they are prone to more squicks and rattles. They all went away once spring arrived. Besides, who would listen to rattles if you can hear the beautiful boxer rumble and teh BOV! (well, scratch off the BOV)
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast