06 stage 4 possibilities? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 stage 4 possibilities? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Trainable 06 has a different IC than 02-05. it's the Forester one; isn't it bigger than 02-05?...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    06 has a different IC than 02-05.
    it's the Forester one; isn't it bigger than 02-05?
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    I don't know if it shares an IC with the Forester, but on all accounts it is smaller than the previous years.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

I Support ClubWRX
    It does not have the surface area of the older wrx's. Not to mention the plastic end tanks....I would not want to pressurize the IC to much with plastic endtanks....
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    It does not have the surface area of the older wrx's. Not to mention the plastic end tanks....I would not want to pressurize the IC to much with plastic endtanks....
    ok, i feel like a WRX noob all over again. what's the justification of running a bigger turbo on a smaller intercooler with weaker connections? suddenly the 06 doesn't seem so appealing.

packaging? cost?

ok, i feel like a WRX noob all over again. what's the justification of running a bigger turbo on a smaller intercooler with weaker connections? suddenly the 06 doesn't seem so appealing.

packaging? cost?

yeah im getting the feeeling like subaru cheaped out on the 06's.... giving our cars smaller intercoolers.... whats the deal!?
    mods
    Hawk-Eye alliance #111

Quote Originally Posted by 06WhiteWRX
    yeah im getting the feeeling like subaru cheaped out on the 06's.... giving our cars smaller intercoolers.... whats the deal!?
    I guess it's the price you pay for the bigger block
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    I guess it's the price you pay for the bigger block
    or maybe they made it easier to modify, and faster. was the TR first introduced in 2006?
    mods
    Hawk-Eye alliance #111

Quote Originally Posted by 06WhiteWRX
    was the TR first introduced in 2006?
    yep
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I Support ClubWRX

packaging? cost?
    Well subaru isnt running a bigger turbo on a small intercooler. They are running the same turbo off of the previous wrx's with an smaller then previous IC. Keep in mind that Subaru probaly isnt building a car for us to mod. So they probaly had these IC's that worked fine on the FXT laying around, so they decided to use them. On a stock setup there appears to be nothing wrong with them. Heatsoak really isnt a issue because once you get moving they cool down quickly, also the turbo isnt running anywhere near as much psi as previous models, so intake charge temps are probaly less, if not equal because the turbo isnt pouring in 14 lbs of boost. So I guess they felt that if the turbo is only boosting 11 lbs, then the FXT intercooler would be fine.

As for complaints on the plastic end tanks I havent heard of any seperation yet, but then again no one is silly enough to push the stock unit. I just remeber back to the 99 mustang days where the intakes were falling apart left and right.

They did give us bigger injectors and a larger FP. The car begs for a turbo swap and larger intercooler. To be honest I dont think the small IC is reason not to buy an 06 by any means.

Well subaru isnt running a bigger turbo on a small intercooler. They are running the same turbo off of the previous wrx's with an smaller then previous IC. Keep in mind that Subaru probaly isnt building a car for us to mod. So they probaly had these IC's that worked fine on the FXT laying around, so they decided to use them. On a stock setup there appears to be nothing wrong with them. Heatsoak really isnt a issue because once you get moving they cool down quickly, also the turbo isnt running anywhere near as much psi as previous models, so intake charge temps are probaly less, if not equal because the turbo isnt pouring in 14 lbs of boost. So I guess they felt that if the turbo is only boosting 11 lbs, then the FXT intercooler would be fine.

As for complaints on the plastic end tanks I havent heard of any seperation yet, but then again no one is silly enough to push the stock unit. I just remeber back to the 99 mustang days where the intakes were falling apart left and right.

They did give us bigger injectors and a larger FP. The car begs for a turbo swap and larger intercooler. To be honest I dont think the small IC is reason not to buy an 06 by any means.
    +1
    mods
    Hawk-Eye alliance #111

Well subaru isnt running a bigger turbo on a small intercooler. They are running the same turbo off of the previous wrx's with an smaller then previous IC.
    do you mean the TD04 is still on the 06? if so, that's nuts....economies of scale is a good enough reason to use the entire powertrain from the FXT, and not just the intercooler. since Forester and Impreza are the same chassis, they probably come off the same assembly line. why not just use the same parts.

a larger top mount is much more expensive than injectors + FP. like i mentioned earlier, pre-06 WRX's had turbo upgrades with the stock IC (Ray, for instance, and a few others).

for the record, i may have sounded a bit harsh about the 06's. i know a Stage 2 06 will trounce a previous Stage 2 WRX, but i just think the re-design sounds a bit counterintuitive in some areas.
    Last edited by AngelBoy; 05-04-2006 at 06:38 AM.

for the record, i may have sounded a bit harsh about the 06's. i know a Stage 2 06 will trounce a previous Stage 2 WRX, but i just think the re-design sounds a bit counterintuitive in some areas.
    It actually makes sense to me. They wanted to make the WRX a better daily driver by adding low down torque so it would appeal to a larger market, but still wanted to keep cost close to where they were before and not step on the toes of their other turbo model vehicles.

Oh and yeah the TD04 is still on it.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah we still have the td04 on the wrx, and like I said before that might be why they got away with the smaller IC. If you havent driven an 06 then I recommend doing so for the experiance. The turbo spools very quickly but anything past 5k falls on it's face.

i see, said the blind man.

dammit i keep hiting fuel cut. it suuuux!
    will my Cobb AP fix it for sure?
    mods
    Hawk-Eye alliance #111

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.