New Noob

This is a discussion on New Noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I am still a VW guy kind of at heart, but I have loved scoobies for ever, and it ...

New Noob

Hey, I am still a VW guy kind of at heart, but I have loved scoobies for ever, and it looks like im finally going to start looking for a decent one to buy. I'm kind of debating between an 04 WRX and a 2.5RS (2000 2-door)

I'm friends with Wizzman and have been trying to get all the tunning info I can for them.

I used to own a 2003 VW GTI but sold it because I needed the money, then I picked up a Nissan 240SX with a SR20DET (fun car) but again, needed the money and had to sell it.

I finally am finantially stable and would like to pick up a fun daily driver and mod the suspension to have a fun driving machine once again. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions, and I'll try to help out when I can.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club and good luck in your car search.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

noob

any suggestions on what i should/shouldn't get and why?

Welcome to the club. I like the way the older 2.5rs looks, but I would go with the 04 wrx. Especially if your lookin to upgrade powerwise. It would be faster, cheaper and easier to upgrade if you want to make some decent power. Then again it would be cheaper to buy the RS, and if all you want to do is a little suspension work and have a fun daily driver you could go that way. It's really up to what you want from the car. Good luck.
    NewEngland F4
    Pics, mods and other rides http://www.cardomain.com/ride/383213/1
    03 VF43'd WRX
    02 CBR 954RR
    87 Transam GTA

Quote Originally Posted by nickster
    Welcome to the club. I like the way the older 2.5rs looks, but I would go with the 04 wrx. Especially if your lookin to upgrade powerwise. It would be faster, cheaper and easier to upgrade if you want to make some decent power. Then again it would be cheaper to buy the RS, and if all you want to do is a little suspension work and have a fun daily driver you could go that way. It's really up to what you want from the car. Good luck.

cool thanks, yea all i want is suspension. normally i would want speed, but with the way gas prices are.. i want to pay as little for gas as possible.... so no high octane for me if i dont need to lol. thats the main reason i want to go with the 2.5RS.

If i want more speed later on ill probably go with the 2.0T motor swap and so on.

what kind of coilover kits and swaybars would i be good to go with?

what sites are good for parts for the 2.5RS? all of them that i look at are for 02+ cars so im having a hard time finding stuff for it.

I was thinking for the car
    -full exhaust
    -Intake (although from what i heard WRX's are better with the stock system so i might skip that)
    -coilover setup
    -sway and tie bars
    -camber plate
    -end links
    -stainless steel brake lines
    -better brake setup
    -basic guages
    -custom rollcage
    -racing seats
    -harnesses
    -short shifter
    -wheels/tires
    -engine tunning

is there anything else i should look for?

2.5RS won't be any better on gas mileage than the WRX. At least its not a big enough difference to get one car over the other. AWD cars will never get great gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzman
    2.5RS won't be any better on gas mileage than the WRX. At least its not a big enough difference to get one car over the other. AWD cars will never get great gas mileage.

on a normal WRX dont you need to use higher octane for the turbo car? unless im just used to that form my VW i had....

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by DragonEye
    on a normal WRX dont you need to use higher octane for the turbo car? unless im just used to that form my VW i had....
    That is correct. WRXes need premium gas. But seriously dude, the difference between filling your tank with regular vs. premium is like $3.00 or less. If you can't afford that you might want to look into a hybrid!

As for your debate between the WRX and the 2.5RS. You already expressed that you're going to be modding the car, so if you get the WRX you're already starting with a better performance platform. You'll end up spending more on mods with the 2.5RS than you would in having to fill up the WRX 100 times (that's an approximation of course). IMO you kinda seem confused in what you are looking to get out of your car, other than that you want to pay as little for gas as possible. So maybe a subie isn't right for you...it's an enthusiast's car for people who LOVE to drive! If gas is your main concern, I seriously think you should consider a car that doesn't have the AWD platform.

Oh, and welcome to the club!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    That is correct. WRXes need premium gas. But seriously dude, the difference between filling your tank with regular vs. premium is like $3.00 or less. If you can't afford that you might want to look into a hybrid!

As for your debate between the WRX and the 2.5RS. You already expressed that you're going to be modding the car, so if you get the WRX you're already starting with a better performance platform. You'll end up spending more on mods with the 2.5RS than you would in having to fill up the WRX 100 times (that's an approximation of course). IMO you kinda seem confused in what you are looking to get out of your car, other than that you want to pay as little for gas as possible. So maybe a subie isn't right for you...it's an enthusiast's car for people who LOVE to drive! If gas is your main concern, I seriously think you should consider a car that doesn't have the AWD platform.

Oh, and welcome to the club!
    thanks, i love driving and do a lot of it, but sometimes i just get sickened at looking at those gas prices... (sorry but 3.30 a gallon is nuts)

I have been talking to a few of you on here and it looks like so far im going to be picking up something like a 04-05 WRX

I really like the 06's but i dont feel like spending that much money right now since i also am looking at buying a house in the next year or two.

Come late july/early august, i'll pick up an 04-05 WRX.