Some quick ?'s

This is a discussion on Some quick ?'s within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If i have a full TBE (Perrin) with Cobb AP stage 2, will i be needing to purchase anything to ...

Question Some quick ?'s

If i have a full TBE (Perrin) with Cobb AP stage 2, will i be needing to purchase anything to prevent decreasing my engine life?

When are new brakes recomended to buy? After how many upgrades?

When are boost/egt gauges needed?

Should i get new hangers for the Exhaust?

Do i need to get any gaskets?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb STG2 doesnt put any kind of severe stress on your motor, nothing will be need to make it last longer, but like anything else extra abuse and more power is the trade off of endurance.

Brakes are a wear item, and to be honest if I was only making stg2 power I'd leave them stock until they wore out. Then put either 4/2 pots on it and some good pads, or just grab some good pads and fluids.

I would recommend EGT/Boost gauge anytime you alter the performance. It's always good to have an eye on what going on once you stray from stock.

Some of the exhaust should come with new gaskets if your buying name brand stuff. If it doesnt just get a new set of gaskets. No use in reusing them to find out they leak the next day and having to replace them again. It's a prevention thing.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

^Exactly what he said.

Going full synthetic helps as far as engine care goes, regular oil changes, clean air/oil filters, good coolant levels, ect.

When are new brakes recommended to buy? After how many upgrades?
    The brakes should be more than sufficient for street driving, power is not the problem. I can get cheap brakes to lockup on a 400hp+ vehicle. Most brake systems can sufficiently stop a car moving at 130 mph or less at an acceptable distance.

The biggest foe disk brakes have is 'brake fade', meaning after heavy and repeated braking they become very hot and very inefficient. If you decide to do track tracing your looking more for ventilation rather than brake size (which is usually limited by your rim size). Wide open rims and ventilated rotors will be your best friend.

As far as when to change the brake pads, if thats what you mean, every pad comes with a little metal clip that rubs against the rotors to make a screeching noise to let you know they need to be replaced. The fronts are usually the first to go. If you've never changed brake pads it could be a good first car project. Or you can take it to pep boys and give them an arm and a leg.

When are boost/egt gauges needed?
    Whenever you have a car thats turbo charged. They really shouldn't be sold without one. Thats like selling a car without a tach (which I guess is OK in an auto tranny).

Should i get new hangers for the Exhaust?
    Do i need to get any gaskets?
    The rubber should last a while. I thought they give you new ones?

This is what I recieved from Perrin (jscspeed.com).

Picture

Hopefully that picture will work.

If pic doesn't work link is http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=405978
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Parts.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    That appears to be all you need....

No hangers tho, thats not going to be a problem?

you should be able to use the stock hangars, unless it's banging around in which case you can get shorter hangars.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    You should be able to re-use the stock hangers if I recall correctly. If it doesnt fit right Kartboy and several other companies do make hangers through. Did you bother calling JSC speed before ordering to make sure you ordered everything at once and got what you needed?

I've spoken with JSC via email a couple times. And talked to them on the phone to see if my CBE was in stock.

I just figured that the stock hangers would do fine, but was wondering if anyone had a Perrin CBE that had hanger probs.

So yes, i bothered.
    Last edited by snowave6; 04-23-2006 at 09:26 PM.