New to the boost game and need a little advice - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New to the boost game and need a little advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not getting the STi!!! And like TSX said more mods. I promised my girlfiend I wouldn't mod. I couldn't keep ...

Not getting the STi!!! And like TSX said more mods. I promised my girlfiend I wouldn't mod. I couldn't keep my promise . If had more money I would mod like crazy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anything above stage 2 and you better be thinking about new gear set.
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

if you're buying new WRX or close to new and plan to dump another $8-10k into it, i'll stronglyl suggest looking at the STi. I personally think that dumping anything more than $5k into WRX is a waste of money, because for that price you can have STi which is enough (light mods maybe). There is a lot of people who moded their WRXs and now regret it and whish that they bought the STi instead of putting that much money to WRX.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

good info, thanks guys.
    2003 Nissan 350z Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I can chirp my left shoe if I launch hard enough from a dig. The tread is wearing away on my Vans, though. Still, this is manageable with the 0.34hp (at the foot) that I can generate. From a roll on, I need to switch to the indoor meats (socks) or be drunk to chirp 'em at speed. Your friend must be a puss.

New to the boost game and need a little advice

I just sold my 2001 celica gts and i am planing to get a wrx (because i cannot afford a sti ) I have a few questions about the car. this is my frist turboed car and i am sorry if the questions are simple.
    What is the diffenerce between a wastegate and blowoff valve?
    what is the best way to reduce turbo lag?
    what is the best performance mod to get first?
    Who makes the best aftermarket parts for the car?

those are all i can think of off the top of my head. thanks for your help
    jim

New to the boost game and need a little advice

I just sold my 2001 celica gts and i am planing to get a wrx (because i cannot afford a sti I have a few questions about the car. this is my frist turboed car and i am sorry if the questions are simple.
    What is the diffenerce between a wastegate and blowoff valve?
    what is the best way to reduce turbo lag?
    what is the best performance mod to get first?
    Who makes the best aftermarket parts for the car?

those are all i can think of off the top of my head. thanks for your help
    jim

All your answers can be found in the stickies

But I'll make it a little easier for you.

1. Blow off valve = PSSH noise because the excess air is released, where as the stock waste gate makes no noise and recycles the air.

2. If you're looking at a '02-'05 wrx then your answer would be getting an up-pipe. Down pipes can also reduce lag, but not as much as a catless up-pipe. Getting a tune will also help.

3. Turboback exhaust or Cobb access port. www.cobbtuning.com

4. It's up to you. There's lots of opinions out there.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Thanks man, but does the blowoff valve do anything besides the cool noise?

Quote Originally Posted by foxhound
    Thanks man, but does the blowoff valve do anything besides the cool noise?
    Nope.

Well, it will make you run rich inbetween shifts.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

blow off valve

does the blow off valvve do anything that the waste gate does not (besides the really cooy noise?)

blow off valve

does the blow off valvve do anything that the waste gate does not (besides the really cooy noise?)

good to know, $300 for a cool noise, I'm in

I Support ClubWRX
    Please dont make a post for EVERY question you have. This has been covered on this forum 100 times and can be found be doing a 5 min. search for the answer.

To sum it up no, on the stock turbo a BOV will do nothing but make a (i guess) cool sound. It can however make your car run rich during shifts and thus hinder performance. The stock turbo wont make more boost the then stock BPV can handle.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by foxhound
    good to know, $300 for a cool noise, I'm in

RICER!!!

J/K

Btw I think wastegate and a blowoff valves are 2 different things although they both serve similar purpose (to let the extra air to pass through). The wastegate is located on the turbo itself, while the blowoff valve is usually someplace on the piping between the intake and the intercooler, although on the WRX its right on the intercooler. I guess somepeople call the BOV a wastgate as well, but on the turbo system there are both so they have to be differentiated somehow.
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 04-23-2006 at 05:49 PM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy
    Btw I think wastegate and a blowoff valves are 2 different things although they both serve similar purpose (to let the extra air to pass through). The wastegate is located on the turbo itself, while the blowoff valve is usually someplace on the piping between the intake and the intercooler, although on the WRX its right on the intercooler. I guess somepeople call the BOV a wastgate as well, but on the turbo system there are both so they have to be differentiated somehow.
    The BOV does serve a purpose. It's job is different than that of the wastegate (The wastegate and BOV are two different devices). It's designed to keep the air moving through the intake, in order to keep the turbo spinning while the intake valve is closed. If there were no BOV the turbo would stop and start violently between every shift. The BOV works using mechanical force, no computer intervention is required.

The wastegate is a computer controlled device that regulates boost. When the wastegate is closed, exhaust gasses push the turbo's centrifuge and accelerate it. When a specific amount of boost is reached the valve opens to prevent the turbo from spinning faster and damaging itself.

When you see someone using a boost controller or some type of EM, the wastegate is the device being manipulated by the electronics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.