next mod for an 06.... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on next mod for an 06.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; no creep problems here. also you dont have to go aith cobbs catted downpipe. if possible i recommend catless from ...

no creep problems here. also you dont have to go aith cobbs catted downpipe. if possible i recommend catless from a cost standpoint. wheel paint is holding up perfectly thinking about going with flat balck tho
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im gonna order my cobb AP by the end of the week. then some sticky tires, then cobb stage one suspension!
    mods
    Hawk-Eye alliance #111

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMan
    EDIT: Why are a bunch of the 06 owners going to the older tail lights? They look like donkey balls compared to the 06 stockers, especially on the aspen white FANTASTICO!
    I'm sorry....what?? Every MY06 owner that has switched out their "factory rice" taillights with the MY04-05 taillights has made IMO a smart decision. I am beginning to like the front end of the MY06, but those taillights have to go.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

Quote Originally Posted by Skreekin
    I'm sorry....what?? Every MY06 owner that has switched out their "factory rice" taillights with the MY04-05 taillights has made IMO a smart decision. I am beginning to like the front end of the MY06, but those taillights have to go.
    +1
    mods
    Hawk-Eye alliance #111

Quote Originally Posted by 06WhiteWRX
    +1
    +2
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI, the way cobb accomodates to prevent boost creep and thus subsequent fuel cut is by lowering the waste gate duty cycle. What this does is brings the boost on in a more gentle curve, thus preventing boost spike/creep which is what ultimately causes fuel cut.

However, even this type of tuning can't prevent boost creep from occurring during an extended high power run such as you might experience on a track day. Under these conditions, boost creep will most likely occur with a car using a catless TBE. It is an inherent design flaw of the wastegate in that it simply can't pass enough flow when wide ope to reduce boost at those levels. The 06 WRX appears to be less susceptible to this than the STi, and this is mainly due to the smaller turbo and lower peak boost targets.

If you do have a catless TBE, and are running the Cobb Stage 2 map, and you still experience boost creep, the only way to eliminate it is to increase your exhaust backpressure (a high flow cat, smaller exhaust, etc) increase the porting of your wastegate, or go totally insane and use an external wastegate (with the inherent ultra-sweet external wastegate sound of course!!). Alternatively you can prottune it and lower your target boost, change WG duty cyles, etc, but then your just leaving HP on the table.

Just some info from previous experience on the 2.5 platform.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    FYI, the way cobb accomodates to prevent boost creep and thus subsequent fuel cut is by lowering the waste gate duty cycle. What this does is brings the boost on in a more gentle curve, thus preventing boost spike/creep which is what ultimately causes fuel cut.

However, even this type of tuning can't prevent boost creep from occurring during an extended high power run such as you might experience on a track day. Under these conditions, boost creep will most likely occur with a car using a catless TBE. It is an inherent design flaw of the wastegate in that it simply can't pass enough flow when wide ope to reduce boost at those levels. The 06 WRX appears to be less susceptible to this than the STi, and this is mainly due to the smaller turbo and lower peak boost targets.

If you do have a catless TBE, and are running the Cobb Stage 2 map, and you still experience boost creep, the only way to eliminate it is to increase your exhaust backpressure (a high flow cat, smaller exhaust, etc) increase the porting of your wastegate, or go totally insane and use an external wastegate (with the inherent ultra-sweet external wastegate sound of course!!). Alternatively you can prottune it and lower your target boost, change WG duty cyles, etc, but then your just leaving HP on the table.

very nicely put. that helps a ton
    mods
    Hawk-Eye alliance #111

Also, according to several people in various tech departments, a lot of the Boost creep issue is caused by the dimensions of the Downpipe itself. There are only a few downpipes out of the many that will avoid the whole boost creep/spike problem.

Cobb Bellmouth being one of them.

i have no problems with the 06 stock tail lights and i don't have any intention to follow the trend by putting the older style lights on. i don't see them as rice - they aren't as ugly as the majority of the aftermarket lights i see on the ricer cars and they come stock, so i know they aren't rice ..

then again, i didn't read the car forums until i had looked into getting the '06 and i never thought twice to look at the tails until i started seeing people complain. Had there never been any public complaints about them being 'ricey,' the idea of them potentially being rice would have never crossed my mind. Just like i would have never thought to see the front end as ugly until i read people's comments and my bf brought it up (i already thought the car as a whole was ugly - but it wasn't about looks in the end). sometimes ignorance is bliss... i just had to ignore the internet bias so it wouldn't sway my own opinions.. since its so easy to have that happen and follow the crowd. im content and quite happy.
    Last edited by Irish.Car.Bomb; 04-25-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    - Anna

Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish.Car.Bomb
    i have no problems with the 06 stock tail lights and i don't have any intention to follow the trend by putting the older style lights on. i don't see them as rice - they aren't as ugly as the majority of the aftermarket lights i see on the ricer cars and they come stock, so i know they aren't rice ..

then again, i didn't read the car forums until i had looked into getting the '06 and i never thought twice to look at the tails until i started seeing people complain. Had there never been any public complaints about them being 'ricey,' the idea of them potentially being rice would have never crossed my mind. Just like i would have never thought to see the front end as ugly until i read people's comments and my bf brought it up. sometimes ignorance is bliss... i just had to ignore the internet bias so it wouldn't sway my own opinions.. since its so easy to have that happen and follow the crowd. im content and quite happy.

when it comes down to it, its really personal preference.
    RICE, IMO can mean alotta different things.i dont think the stock tails are rice, just ugly. I preffer the older style taillights. dont listen to what other people think and moidify according to them, cuz then u would have a car that u didnt put any of your "flavor" into. a car should be areflection of what u like, and modify it accoriding to ur preferences.

many people on this site have bashed on the 06's plenty.... IMO i wouldnt trade my car for any other gen WRX out there.
    mods
    Hawk-Eye alliance #111

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07

If I were to have the wastegate ported, will i still be able to use the regular stage 2 map effectively without harming anything? I know a protune would be much more effective but I am concerned with the initial cost (protune will come later).

Or another option:
    Purchase the HKS downpipe (non bellmouth and catless). Would this greatly reduce my risk of boost creep? Is the extra insurance worth the lesser ability to flow, in other words?
    Last edited by WRX88; 04-25-2006 at 03:25 PM.

Oh, and sorry for hijakin this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Skreekin
    Sorry, I cant justify changing out the one key feature that sets the rear of my car apart from the other 120,000 wrx's in the world. The lights are beautiful. I always hated the old look of the wrx though, so I am biased against it. But then the 06 came out and I liked every angle of the car, and loved the tail right away. The aesthetic changes just seemed to make something that seemed so wrong, oh so right

I just cant bring myself to put Super Crackhead Squad tail lights on my car
    stupidman has spoken

Quote Originally Posted by WRX88
    Oh, and sorry for hijakin this thread
    its all good, im learning too.
    mods
    Hawk-Eye alliance #111

As for the taillights...those were the first to go on my car. Don't get me wrong, the look nice...just not on my car. Certain colors (white, silver) look really good with those 06 tails. Since i have black, i chose to trade for some 05s. To each his own...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.