Quick mod question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Quick mod question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, i want your opinions on my first mod: Perrin 3'' Catback exhaust, dual tip. ( http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/wrx_base.html) . Will ...

Quick mod question

Hey all, i want your opinions on my first mod: Perrin 3'' Catback exhaust, dual tip. (http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/wrx_base.html).

Will i need an CEL fix if i got this mod?

I've heard that there aren't many problems that are cause by a catback on a stock car, but are there some i should be aware of, and how can i fix them?

Is it an easy install (im not going to do it myself tho)?

I plan to make sure i cool down my car before turning it off, as i do now. I want to make my second mod a COBB AccessPORT (I know this is a popular first mod, but this will be my second due to certain circumstances).

Any answers, comments, thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you will not need the CEL fix.....and install will be a breeze if you know how to turn a wrench.....only "problem" i had was compressing the springs to go back on with the new catback.....but this is a very minor problem.......you might want to also order some new hardened hangers so you dont melt your bumper
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

THanks a lot rob, thats a big help!

If you can afford it, I would skip the cat back and go with a full turbo back. Its not much harder to install and youll probably see alot better gains. I just put the turbo XS TB on and I LOVE it! I got a catless up pipe at the same time and I didnt see a CEL either.(course Im already throwing a CEL so I cant be sure )
    Last edited by Aerophyre; 04-11-2006 at 10:02 PM.

In terms of numbers, what kind of gains can i expect from just the Perrin Catback?

very modest gains, at best. You may not even feel the difference. Remember, a cat back doesn't remove any cats, only the 1 resonator chamber.

I didn't know that the gain was so little, a bit disapointed! But i'm sure i'll get a downpipe in the future, its just a matter of when. Do most people get catbacks for sound and a finished look then?

They give a nice note, and are a quick and cheap beginner mod, but dont expect big gains from it. You need a bellmouth and a catless uppipe to really feel anything. To be honest I did a full TBE with uppipe last weekend and the differences really arent huge. Tuning will do alot more for the ol' butt dyno than an exhaust.

Thanks for the help Aero

Will the gains be equivelent to new tires? I got some wheels and tires a while back and the gain wasn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by snowave6
    Will the gains be equivelent to new tires? I got some wheels and tires a while back and the gain wasn't too bad.

Wheels and tires dont affect actual horsepower..... They may make your car handle and grip better, which gives the illusion of more power.

Well yeah, but i was speaking of the feel more than actual hp.

your going in the right direction......after you do the catback look at getting a catless downpipe that either has a bellmouth design or a divorced wastegate design......after that you should buy a cobb accessport and flash stage 2!!!!.....You will def. feel gains then
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

Just got my Perrin Catback installed. Looks and sounds great. Cobb AP to come next. The gains aren't bad either, definately a bit quicker. All in all, more fun to drive.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.