2005 Legacy GT 2.5 vs STI 2.5

This is a discussion on 2005 Legacy GT 2.5 vs STI 2.5 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I apologize if this has been asked before, but are there any differences between the 2.5 in my 2005 Legacy ...

2005 Legacy GT 2.5 vs STI 2.5

I apologize if this has been asked before, but are there any differences between the 2.5 in my 2005 Legacy GT Ltd Wagon and the 2.5 in the STi? Is it a fuel mapping issue or some similar programming issue where Subaru de-tuned the GT's?

I've had the car since July 2004 and I love it. No one thinks a Subaru wagon is going to be as quick as this thing is. As always, I would love a little more power. I've already got a K&N air filter (probably good for .5 hp!).

I did a search on the site but couldn't really find anything.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Doug L.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The obvious would be different turbo, IC, and ECU at the very least. The not so obvoius (and I'm not sure about these just guessing) would be cams, internals and possible heads. I'm sure someone with more LGT knowledge will be able to set the record straight through.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

The differences aside, the LGT will respond to many of the same upgrades that are common on the WRX. Bigger turbo, tuning (etc.).
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the prompt responses. Please forgive a few more "new guy" questions. You mentioned tuning. What kind of cheap and dirty tricks are there? Is it possible to re-flash the ECU to pick up a few ponies?

What about under-drive pulleys? On my old 1995 5.0 Mustang GTS, I picked up 10hp using March pulleys (dyno confirmed).

Any other ideas?

I'd like to add a few ponies with out adding bigger turbo or going with the boy-racer exhaust. I like the sleeper look and sound of the car and would like to keep it that way.

Regards,
    Doug L.

SMR
    Cobb sells accessports for the GT, they'll reflash the ecu, giving you more power w/out any external giveaways. Underdriven pulleys = in my book. Congrats on your purchase, those wagons are nice.

SMR-
    Wow, just wow

I Support ClubWRX
    The way to get gains on the GT is to reflash ECU (with Cobb accessport or simular software) and to get a TBE. I havent really followed the GT's aftermarket support, but I'm sure there are a few aftermarket exhaust out there that are very quite. The GT wasnt ment to have large boy racer cans out of the back, so i'm sure there are subtle exhaust systems out there.

As for underdrive pulleys some see decent gains others claim none. There is also a chance that if they arent paired right they will drain your alt. I think there are several proven mods out there that should be done well before underdrive pulleys.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    <--previous owner of WRX, STi, and now of Legacy GT Limited.

Go check out www.cobbtuning.com and it will answer many of your questions.

Regarding diff between STi 2.5 and LGT 2.5...NONE...for the engine, heads, etc. Difference is in tuning, TMIC, intake, and intake manifold.

FYI...a stage 2 Legacy will take a stock STi from a roll...fairly easily (ok....a slow walk). From a launch though, the suckey Legacy clutch will just sit there and go up in smoke.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Again thanks for the replys. This car is an auto so there is some noticeable from a stand still. What kind of HP gains can I expect from a reflash and will it ball up my warranty?

Back in July of 2004 I was in the process of dumping my wife's sh** box 99 Durango and decided to get a wagon as I no longer needed the size of an SUV, but still needed something I could haul stuff in or strap stuff to. I as close to pulling the trigger on a Mazda 6 wagon when I saw an article in C&D about the 2005 Subaru Outback HXT. It seemed a pretty good fit. I went to the dealership, drove the HXT, and was getting ready to buy an HXT Ltd when I saw a pic of the Legacy. When I did a little more research I found that it was essentially the same car but with better on road tires and bigger front brakes.

20k trouble free miles later (knock on wood!) I still choose this over our 2003 TL S-Type anytime I drive.

Regards,
    Doug L.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dougl33

20k trouble free miles later (knock on wood!) I still choose this over our 2003 TL S-Type anytime I drive.

Regards,
    Doug L.
    ^^^^^ Discriminating owner with good taste!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

According to Cobb's website, it looks like I can add up to 23hp and 50lbs of torque just by flashing the ECU , using 93 Octane, and I can do it in my own driveway.

Seems to good to be true. Has anyone here done just this mod? Is it worth the $645? Will I feel the difference afterwards?

Regards,
    Doug L.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dougl33
    According to Cobb's website, it looks like I can add up to 23hp and 50lbs of torque just by flashing the ECU , using 93 Octane, and I can do it in my own driveway.

Seems to good to be true. Has anyone here done just this mod? Is it worth the $645? Will I feel the difference afterwards?

Regards,
    Doug L.
    No...it's not too good to be true. Yes, there are a LOT of us who have done this. Yes, it is worth it. And oh yes....you will certainly feel the difference.

To be honest...if you really want to do this right, get their down pipe with high flow cat, put on an STi up pipe or up pipe with no cat on it (cobb sells this also), then flash to stage 2. The difference is night and day. You'll have around 300 hp and 320 ft/lb of torque at the crank to play with then (+50 hp, + 70 torque). All total, less than 1500 bucks.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    To be honest...if you really want to do this right, get their down pipe with high flow cat, put on an STi up pipe or up pipe with no cat on it (cobb sells this also), then flash to stage 2. The difference is night and day. You'll have around 300 hp and 320 ft/lb of torque at the crank to play with then (+50 hp, + 70 torque). All total, less than 1500 bucks.
    Again, not knowing much about the exhaust mods, wouldn't that make the car a bit noisier than it is right now? I love the sleeper aspect of this car and want to avoid drawing attention to myself. Also, this is my daily driver.

Regards,
    Doug L.

I Support ClubWRX
    Doug,
    Do what I did then. Cobb AP Stage II, Cobb down pipe with high flow cat, Perrin Up Pipe (used..but any catless UP for the 2.5 block will work). I kept the stock exhaust on. It has just a slightly deeper grumble to the exhaust from the outside. From the inside, you can't hear the change in the exhaust note at all. As a bonus, this setup will still pass emissions. I did throw a CEL a few times for EGT temps, but the 2.2 resistor mod (<2 bucks) from radio shack and about 2 minutes of my time took car of that.

You will hear more of a turbo spool up (which I like) and the bypass valve letting go (very slight, but also a kewl noise). Other than that, from the interior, the noise level remains unchanged at all speeds.

If you have any decent mechanical skills, these are all parts you can put on yourself. You can look at the DIY here on this board, or go to www.legacygt.com. They are specific to the Legacy, and have DIY threads for the DP, UP, and Cobb but I hope you'll hang around here as I get lonely being one of only a few Legacy owners on here The sequence of install is the same as for an STi so they can pretty much be used interchangeably.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Thanks Scott.

I'll look into it.

Regards,
    Doug L.