need help with cobb ap year

This is a discussion on need help with cobb ap year within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok i am still new to wrx's i have a 2005 with a tbe and am ready to get a ...

need help with cobb ap year

ok i am still new to wrx's i have a 2005 with a tbe and am ready to get a cobb ap. i have done some research alittle and cant find a solid answer if the cobb ap for a 2004 will work on an 2005 wrx. i see a ton of used 2004 ap's for sale and would like to pick one up if it will work. i know the software is going to be diffrent and i would have to download the 2005 version, but what about the connectors? i have read that they are diffrent and that they arnt. please can anyone help me. thanks for any response you can help me with.

nate

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your answer lies in Cobbs website....

Description Fits Price ($USD)
    AccessPORT 2006 WRX (Manual Transmission) $645
    AccessPORT 2006 WRX (Automatic Transmission) $645
    AccessPORT 2005 WRX $595
    AccessPORT 2004 WRX $595
    AccessPORT 2002-2003 WRX $595

also is there a diffrence in power from a tbe and a tbe with stage to cobb ap? or is it going to just make the power band smoother? i am looking if anyone has a dyno sheet of tbe and then a dyno sheet with tbe with cobb ap stage 2. thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sethtroy
    also is there a diffrence in power from a tbe and a tbe with stage to cobb ap? or is it going to just make the power band smoother? i am looking if anyone has a dyno sheet of tbe and then a dyno sheet with tbe with cobb ap stage 2. thanks again
    Yup. A nice difference.

anyone else that can help

Yeah, dude. There's a difference between the APs for an '04 and an '05. From what I understand, Subaru's been making minor tweaks to the ECU each year, and Cobb has had to keep up by tweaking the AP.

I don't remember the numbers offhand, neither do I have the dyno you requested, but I can tell you that there's a bump from having just a TBE and having it with a stage2 reflash from the AP. The stage2 map on Cobb's website is a pretty conservative map, form what I've been reading, too, so you'll see even better gains with a protune.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

so then whats the diffrence between the 04 and 05? from what i have read it was just software i think. and that i could buy a used 04 ap and just change the software or update it to the 05 software? is this right or am i way off. thanks again

you're off, man. The actual software on the AccessPort isn't updatable, and for good reason - if it could be updated, it could be programmed, and that would be a big liability for Cobb. Think about it, if you bought a $600 piece to reprogram your ECU on your ~$20,000 car, and you actually broke your car with it, I'm pretty sure you'd be pissed. The ECUs are different for each year, and because of that Cobb actually had to rewrite bits of the code in the AP. I'm not sure how much, but trying to save the $50-100 to do it on the cheap just isn't worth it in this case. It's too much of a liability for you, for Cobb, and I don't think that there's been any documented success. Or any success at all for that matter.
    That's part of the reason that StreetTuner software (what's used for protunes) costs so much. They don't want just anybody mucking about in there, 'cause if something goes wrong, it could easily become a bit liability for them.

so my best bet is to just wait till i find one for sale or buy it new for 595.00? also is there anywhere else i can get it cheaper? thanks for all the help.

It will be 595 from any authorized vendoe of Cobb, your only way to find it cheaper is used, but if the person that had it before you didnt unmarry it from their ECU, you are screwed.
    04 wrx cutom 2 tone leather.

It's worth it to talk to a local Subaru shop. When I bought my AP for my '06, a local shop charged me $600, when the APs for the '06s retail for $650. Or wait and get one used.If you get one used, though, make 100% sure that it has been properly unmarried from the previous owner's car, otherwise you'll just have an expensive lump of plastic.