Reliability questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Reliability questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; my step dad is trying to talk me out of buying a wrx (02-03) cuz he thinks subarus are crap ...

Reliability questions

my step dad is trying to talk me out of buying a wrx (02-03) cuz he thinks subarus are crap and htey always break non stop or something. i like to argue with him and tell him hes wrong cuz its fun.

anyways do these cars have alot of problems? or do problems only arise when modding it out and making big HP numbers? this car wil be my daily driver, andi only plan to do like an exhaust to get that badass rumble (for now anyways) soo any input would be awsome.

and also he says that if anything breaks its gonna cost hella money to fix?? is that true do big expensive ass things break?
    I Like to Eat, Eat, Eat Apples and Bananas!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

most subie owners that i know that have 100k+ miles on the car still run like a champ.

my dad has a 1990 legacy. 200k miles still runs. needs a clutch and needs the cv boots replaced. thats it

but with any car. if you abuse it, it will break.
    take care of the car and it will take care of you
    Originally Posted by speedette
    You may 'think' that you are playing "devil's advocate", but you're really more like "negative nancy".

I Support ClubWRX
    See this link:
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

For more general info, see this link:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/search.php
    (with special thanks to BrianH, who pioneered the link in his sig).

My car (all repairs done free under warranty):

Radiator (split seam; 6k)
    Gearbox (output shaft bearing replaced; whining; 9k)
    Clutch (assembly plus throw-out bearing; recall; 30k)
    Throttle cable (recall; 30k)
    Driver's side seat bolt (recall; 60k)
    Water pump (warranty; 60k)
    Spring clip on water line to turbo (weak clip; line leaked occassionally; replaced with a $1 aftermarket screw clamp from hardware store; 30k)
    New tires at 45K

Current issues:
    Slight oil seep, passenger side valve cover, where the PCV hose attaches (I think; no drip, just seeping and ugly and annoying since only a contortionist or a dealer can get to this part...)
    Car has always seemed to need water topped off every 10k; had cooling system tested twice by dealer, had pump replaced once. Still doing the same thing. No known reason other than loss via the overfill canister (the overflow hose is white toward the end that goes into the canister; my neighbour's car has the same thing on his hose).
    Paint is criminal and an absolute tragedy, and it's ludicrous that a serious auto maker would allow this to leave their factory.
    Body dings with ease.
    Rattles inside; very agricultural interior despite the car costing $20+K USD.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Just read Consumer Reports. They seem to think that the WRX is good enough to make it a recommended car.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Talking

Scooby STi ...just passed 2 yrs old:
    79,150 miles only issue small leak from rear axle/diff gasket (at 62k miles)
    changed stock pads at 65k , still on stock clutch , oil used since 3k miles Mobil 1 5-30.(changed every 4-4.5k)
    car is also lighly modded full TBE , sway bars,HKS EVC EZII ebc.

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by 2SiX
    my step dad is trying to talk me out of buying a wrx (02-03) cuz he thinks subarus are crap and htey always break non stop or something. i like to argue with him and tell him hes wrong cuz its fun.
    So your dad can bad-mouth Subarus, but does he have any recommendations as to what car you SHOULD be buying? I hate when people can talk about nothing but problems instead of offering solutions.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

he thinks i should get like a 94 toyota v6 pick up "i had one and it ran forever, and i pulled a 5th wheel trailer with it" and im like yea nad it was slow as balls.
    I Like to Eat, Eat, Eat Apples and Bananas!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555
    79,150 miles only issue small leak from rear axle/diff gasket (at 62k miles)
    When I changed my diff fluid I could not find the recommended 3M sealant so I simply used some RTV silicone on just few threads of the drain bolt, then torqued it to spec. So far so good. Others just use the power of prayer and nobody I've seen has reported a leak. It's interesting you got a little out (I assume it was an easy fix regardless).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    When I changed my diff fluid I could not find the recommended 3M sealant so I simply used some RTV silicone on just few threads of the drain bolt, then torqued it to spec. So far so good. Others just use the power of prayer and nobody I've seen has reported a leak. It's interesting you got a little out (I assume it was an easy fix regardless).
    yep was easy fix took a scooby tech about a hour to replace new gasket etc
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.