Question About Car Care
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question About Car Care within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, This is actually goes out to all the guys that love to make their car look awesome. I ...

Question Question About Car Care

Hi everyone,

This is actually goes out to all the guys that love to make their car look awesome. I just need some tips or pointers on how I should go about this. I have a 05 STi, I don't really have the time to keep it clean like the way I want to. I don't really have the time or the room to hand wash my car. So the only thing for me to do when I need to wash my car is to take it to the car wash. I know, taking it to the car wash is no good. But I have no other choice. Just the other night, my sister parked her car next to mine and the car's headlights was pointing at my car. OMG , I noticed all the swirl marks that the car wash made.

Now here is the question, how can I go about getting rid of those swirl marks? I was thinking about getting the car polished when it gets a little warmer. Or does anyone have any other ideas on how to go about taking care of this. I would love to do it myself, but like I said, I just don't have the time.

Thanks everyone for taking the time and helping me out here...
    Looks are everything...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

Well, I don't like to wash mine all the time either, so I usually....wait a second....

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal
    This is actually goes out to all the guys that love to make their car look awesome.
    Oh, okay, you weren't asking me. Nevermind then.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Hi everyone,

This is actually goes out to all the guys that love to make their car look awesome. I just need some tips or pointers on how I should go about this. I have a 05 STi, I don't really have the time to keep it clean like the way I want to. I don't really have the time or the room to hand wash my car. So the only thing for me to do when I need to wash my car is to take it to the car wash. I know, taking it to the car wash is no good. But I have no other choice. Just the other night, my sister parked her car next to mine and the car's headlights was pointing at my car. OMG , I noticed all the swirl marks that the car wash made.

Now here is the question, how can I go about getting rid of those swirl marks? I was thinking about getting the car polished when it gets a little warmer. Or does anyone have any other ideas on how to go about taking care of this. I would love to do it myself, but like I said, I just don't have the time.

Thanks everyone for taking the time and helping me out here...
    Sorry!

Unless you have more time, you won't be able to make you car look nice.

If you want to make the time we have plenty of ways to help your car look fantastic.

Black is a very high maintanence color.

Silver or my Crystal Gray is easy to keep nice looking.
    Last edited by Just Be; 03-21-2006 at 07:30 AM.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

heres what i would do...make the time to go to a car wash and use one of thier individual booths. Apply a 3 step system and then use a quick detailer as much as you can until you can wash it again.
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

Sorry Speedette, should have phrased that a little better. So to correct myself, this question is going out to all the guys and GALS out there who loves subies...
    Looks are everything...

Peachypumpkincheeks

Sorry Speedette, should have phrased that a little better. So to correct myself, this question is going out to all the guys and GALS out there who loves subies...
    Awww, thanks.

And back to the original question: Honestly, it's about time management. You would have plenty of time to care for your car if you made a habit out of it! But a habit is composed of a short-term goal and a desire, so if you really make it a want to have your car in good shape, then you need to set time aside to clean it! Plus your car is black, and though black is the hottness, it will also appear the dirtiest. It's the bittersweetness of owning a black car.

As for the swirl marks, well apparently that's one of the joys of Subaru's paint. But I heard if you claybar it every six months it will shine and look in great shape.

Oh also, a member here (I believe it was 'Just Be') recommends using Turtle Wax Ultimate "Platinum" detailing spray. He says it's the best by far.

Thanks Speedette for the info. I will definitely give it a try once it gets a little warmer. Way to cold now to be washing the car, especially outdoors.
    Looks are everything...

There was an awesome thread last week in which a bunch of people went on about their cleaning processes.
    My detailing routine (lots of pics)

I didn't voice up, but I live in an apartment complex (no hose, no garage) so, I bet your problems and mine are pretty close. I take my car to one of those self-wash places, and sit in a stall for 20 min, doing a combination of things with the washer-hose only. I don't touch the broom to my car, period. Our paint is bad enough, no need to help it out, right? (20-40 minutes)
    It's pointless to clean the stock wheels very often in the winter, around here, so I do it about as often as I wax. Every month to six-weeks or so. (3 to four hours, with a bucket wash)
    I clean the interior with a Swiffer duster every week, vaccuum as needed (typically every week) and wash the windows on a weekly/biweekly basis. (20 min)
    I also don't eat or smoke in my car, but that's a big personal preference.
    In other words, man, just dedicate a little time to it a few times a week. That should keep your car looking pretty good!
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Peachypumpkincheeks

And shoot, if you are strapped for time to do it yourself, then pay someone else to do it!!!

I take mine to Embassy Auto Wash or Dr. Wash every couple weeks. For about $20 they wash the outside, do a spray wax coat, wash the wheels, hand dry the whole thing, vacuum it out, clean the windows (inside and out), and wipe down the dash. For a couple extra bucks I can even buy some add-ons, like have them vacuum the trunk, do a full on wax job, armorall the dash, etc. It only takes about 15 mins. when you have 10 people working on your car!

I'm sure you have a place like this within a 10 mile radius from you!

Thanks for the input so far. I guess that I gotta look for a place that hand washes the car instead of using machines. Cause these dang car washes are murder to the paint job.

Yes Kevlarcupid, no place for me to take care of the car. Only a place for me to park it and can't do any maintenance on the spot. I tried looking for places like that, where they let you use a booth, but nothing in NYC that I know of. Only thing is maybe find a place that does hand washes.

Thanks for that thread, I was looking for it earlier and couldn't find it.
    Looks are everything...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.