what temp should oil be before driving ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on what temp should oil be before driving ? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i warm my car up to 120 ( oil temp ) before i put it in gear . is it ...

what temp should oil be before driving ?

i warm my car up to 120 ( oil temp ) before i put it in gear .

is it necessary on these cars to do that ?

when i got an impreza a couple years ago , they told me it didnt need to be warmed up .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy) SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Check owner manual. Oil temp is not specifically addressed but warmup is.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Do you have a oil temp gauge fitted, as I know my Impreza doesn't, I let it run for a minute then go steady for a few miles, then as I reach my destination, steady for a last couple of miles and let it run a minute or so when I arrive

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Lukewarm to the touch.
    Billy
    2011 OBP WRX STi Sedan - click if bored
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I prime the fuel pump, start the engine, wait about 10 seconds, then start driving.. low load, low rpm, no boost until the pressure stabilizes. If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around 180ºF.

Don't drive crazy until it's 160F+
    2017 WRX Limited - Cobb Turbo back with MAP CAI and Tune
    2015 Yamaha FZ09

Personally, i don't let the car sit more than a few seconds before backing it out of my garage and driving to work, but i always try to keep it under 3500 RPM with no WOT or sudden acceleration until about 10 mins, which is about twice as long as it takes for the dash temp meter to stabilize, which, as I understand, is the general rule of thumb for how long it takes for all components to reach operating temps

or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Wrexic View Post
    about twice as long as it takes for the dash temp meter to stabilize

That's the point at which my oil pressure tends to stabilize..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    That's the point at which my oil pressure tends to stabilize..
    lol am i waiting twice as long as I should then? or were you agreeing?

I don't have an accessport so I just eyeball it and play it a little safe

i let the rpm back down below 1k then start driving gently for about 10 mins more.

Don't idle for long periods of time. Get in your car, start it, get your belt on, air con or heat set, radio going and drive away. So a grand total of 30 seconds.

Don't flog the car until oil temp and pressure has stabilized, it usually takes twice as long or longer than the coolant temp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

I Support ClubWRX
    i always try to keep it under 3500 RPM with no WOT or sudden acceleration until about 10 mins, which is about twice as long as it takes for the dash temp meter to stabilize, which, as I understand, is the general rule of thumb for how long it takes for all components to reach operating temps

or something like that
    That's a good rule of thumb, if you don't have a way to measure. When my OE coolant gauge gets to normal range, oil temperature is ~160°F per my Defi gauge. About twice that length of time, oil is up into the ~210° range, which is normal operating temp. If you don't have a gauge, you don't know for sure, but "double the coolant temp duration" is what I've been saying for years on here, after seeing how my oil temp gauge reads.

Quote Originally Posted by XJman
    Don't idle for long periods of time. Get in your car, start it, get your belt on, air con or heat set, radio going and drive away. So a grand total of 30 seconds.
    Yup. You don't want to start the car and immediately drive; you want to give the engine a chance at very light load to get oil circulating, but I generally don't take more than a minute (sometimes it takes me a bit to decide what artist I want to listen to), usually closer to 30 seconds or so.
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Daily
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno) - Toy

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

lol am i waiting twice as long as I should then? or were you agreeing?

I was agreeing.. the oil takes roughly twice as long as the coolant.

10mins seems way to long, seems like there would be some carbon build up or other things that would come from that
    i do about 1or2 mins at most and thats because im reading the manual (just got on Saturday)
    then dont open it up for a few miles, as of course if cold you will have higher oil pressure with load then when warmed up
    think more of a focus should be looking it cool down after driving, or staying out of boost the last couple miles before parking

Your turbo is oil and coolant fed, it shouldn't take hardly any time to return to a safe temp to shut off. Sitting around for 5 minutes waiting for it to cool down is not helping. Unless you just got off a hot lap or quarter mile or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.