Subaru WRX Forum banner

New "refreshed " 2018 WRX...

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  why2kmax 
#1 ·
So I'm in a 2017 Premium lease. I've seen the new "refreshed " front end. To me, it looks cheap. Black plastic is cheaper than painted parts. Therefore, cheaper to make. That black plastic, unless you maintain it, fades and looks like **** if it's not shiny. It also looks as if they've removed the foglights too. This is obviously just my opinion. Some may like it. All car companies do it. Little cost cutting measures to make the car for less. It's minor, I understand. Just voicing my opinion. :)

#2 ·
It literally costs nothing to paint a bumper or lip or wing for automotive companies. What does cost money is the very expensive molds it takes to make those parts and leave a perfect consistent texture. to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of molds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I think it looks good from the pictures. Practically all carmakers are putting a dark lip on vehicles as a way to introduce some contrast and angles. And yes they're all made of molded plastic.

Look at Audi, Volvo, BMW, Lexus--take your pick--they all have a prominent black lip. Actually, look at the last generation Evo--it looks like it borrowed a lot of design elements from the WRX, and now WRX is returning the favor...

The fog lights are still there for the premium and limited models.

#5 ·

Black plastic isn't hard to maintain, just keep it sealed while it is still in good condition, and it will stay looking good. It will also be easy to replace down the road, and you won't have to worry about color matching.

With how crappy Subaru's paint is, it is good to have some black plastic on the front bumper, as protection against rock chips. At 10k miles my front bumper is covered in them. The only thing I don't like about the new front is how the corners of the fog light surround come to a point over the actual bumper. They are trying to go for a more aggressive look, but it just doesn't look right.

Anyways, with any new change, just look back to the release of the 2015s, everyone complains how ugly it is, then in a few months it starts growing on people, and eventually they will admit they like it.

I do like how the headlights have low and high beam LED on the 2018s. If they were really "Cheaping Out" they would have retained the LED lows and Halogen DRLs/High Beams.

#10 ·
I still dont like the chipmunk cheeks that japanese cars are moving to. Honda Civic, esp the SI and Type R are hideous front and back. The new WRX isnt that bad at all but looks like they got a little bigger.

I really like the grey/d out lower middle. that looked good on the 04-06 GTO too. I need to do that to mine.

#14 ·
Hi Guys,

2018 WRX and STi are out. I'm considering buying the WRX. One among the below two options.
Option 1 : WRX Premium with the Performance Package ($31K)
Option 2 : WRX Limited CVT with the Eyesight Package ($36K)

Bit confused on which one to go for. For the Jurid brake pads, coming with performance package, they have a disclaimer that "Performance Package models are equipped with brake pads which may produce higher levels of braking noise and brake dust, even under normal driving conditions.". What kind of noise will it be? And how loud it will be? Also, not sure if it is really worth spending $2K just for the recaro seats and better front brake pads alone!!

Please provide your opinions/suggestions. Thanks.

#17 · (Edited)
I would buy neither. The car is much better IMO with a 6speed. CVT I think would suck a lot of the fun out of it.

The $$ for the perf package if just seats and brake pads and sunroof delete isnt worth it. As XJ said the seats are a personal preference but you can get as good brake pads for a lot less. I commute 100-200 miles a day highway and twisty roads at elevated speeds and in 8000 miles havent found the regular wrx brakes to need an upgrade. I also love the sunroof so I wouldnt want to delete that. The Eyesight stuff will get you a decent discount on the insurance (had it on my forester) but if you leave the lanewatch on (where it tells you if you are moving out of your lane) it quickly becomes tiring/annoying. I will say the rear cross traffic and lane warnings (where they tell you a car is in your blind spot) can really help!

If you want the seats and dont care about the moonroof, Id definitely buy the base STI. A lot better everything and still in your price range of $36k , unless MPG is a factor.
Or for $31k and change get the limited 6spd no perf pkg.

#15 ·
You can buy better pads for a few hundred bucks. Seats are personal. Yeah performance brakes will make some noise, it can be irritating at times, but it's not the end of the world

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.