First Subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well - my wife was rear ended at a stop light 3 weeks ago and totaled my car - she ...

First Subaru

Well - my wife was rear ended at a stop light 3 weeks ago and totaled my car - she was ok thank goodness - but I took the opportunity to look for something I would really enjoy for years to come. My first thought went to a BMW 335i convertible but not real practical in the snow (Colorado Wx). I took a few days off to take care of my wife and close out the car ordeal and took 1/2 a day looking for new wheels. I was cruising through a large row of dealers when I stopped into Subaru just looking for some education on the product line up. We have owned 30+ cars, new and used over the years like the Nissan SE-R Sentra, a few first gen Toyota MR2s to LS1 GTOs and classic Corvettes, but never really understood what made Subaru unique. The salesman took an hour to explain the boxer motors, model line up, saftey, turbo vs non-turbo and the price points. They were staunch about NOT letting me drive a new WRX / STI so we took a used 16 WRX around the block (limited). It was probably the single best driving experience of my life - and I have set up a few cars in my time for SCCA Autocross. The next hour was setting up financing and selecting the car of my choice. The one on the show room looked great - 6mi and brand new! Best 4hrs buying a great car ...ever! No haggle, cut the check and off we went to the tint shop.

Looking forward to talking about your WRX experiences as time goes on. Thus far I have been told to look out for a throw-out bearing problem (potentially) around 10k - but we will see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170420_192925 (1).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	286818

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to Clubwrx! Sorry to hear about the accident, but happy to hear your wife was okay. Congrats on your new wrx, she looks great!

Be sure to read through all of the stickies on here and don't be afraid to ask a question before modding if you plan on doing so. Subaru's are very particular about modifications and needing to be tuned properly for them.

Again, welcome!
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    2012 WRB STi Limited Sedan
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Retired and traded.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...sti-build.html <---- My STi build thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----My WRX build thread

You're gonna love it! Very happy with my 2 Susie's - my wife's '17 Outback Limited 3.6 & my '17 STI.
    Wonder why the salesman wouldn't let you drive the STI? Usually they want to let you drive the fastest one first.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Isn't the Subaru WRX too low to drive in snow areas? I am not sure how much snow there is Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by tbagftw View Post
    Isn't the Subaru WRX too low to drive in snow areas? I am not sure how much snow there is Colorado.
    Negative sir. I live in Alaska where it snows a lot and its never too much for my Sti. These cars are meant to be driven on icy-snowy roads.
    2013 Mona Lisa STI
    James Bravo
    I'm the nicest guy in the world as long as you don't piss me off....You're already pissing me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbravo_AK View Post
    Negative sir. I live in Alaska where it snows a lot and its never too much for my Sti. These cars are meant to be driven on icy-snowy roads.
    I could be wrong. But I heard the new WRX are even lower now.

Its actually the same stance its just the skid plate under the car that sits lower. I have yet to hear of anyone saying their WRX sits too low and cant handle the snow.
    2013 Mona Lisa STI
    James Bravo
    I'm the nicest guy in the world as long as you don't piss me off....You're already pissing me off.

Its actually the same stance its just the skid plate under the car that sits lower. I have yet to hear of anyone saying their WRX sits too low and cant handle the snow.
    I have friends in Washington state told me that they didn't buy WRX for it's too low. And I have heard Washington state is a big Subaru state. I am not sure.

2016 WRX and Snow (Ground Clearance) Ground clearance is not an issue unless you have a horrible driveway and I mean really bad.
    2013 Mona Lisa STI
    James Bravo

Water.....sometimes waves rqjoe's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome OP. I have 33,500 on mine and no clutch problems. It's all in how you drive them.

Thanks. Good to know that.

Registered User Firefighterjake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbagftw View Post
    Nope . . . works just fine. I mean I would probably opt for the truck if I was driving in more than 8 inches or more of snow . . . but this past winter the WRX did fine even when the town over failed to plow one road and there was maybe 5-7 inches on the road.

Registered User Firefighterjake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rqjoe View Post
    Welcome OP. I have 33,500 on mine and no clutch problems. It's all in how you drive them.
    A little more than 37,000 miles and no issues on mine as well . . .

ongrats on the new ride!

I picked up mine on the 13th.

When hunting around for info before I picked mine up, I found this TSB for the squeaky TOB. It looks like Subaru fixed this with WRXs built with VIN H9824973 and above (mine included).

http://www.subispeed.com/instruction...se-bearing.pdf

Congrats on the new ride, you will love it.
    2016 WRX
    1991 R32 Skyline GTR
    2005 STi SOLD

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.