n00b 412
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on n00b 412 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just dropping a What's up so I'm not some creeper in the shadows. New to the subies, not to the ...

n00b 412

Just dropping a What's up so I'm not some creeper in the shadows. New to the subies, not to the car world... I just picked up a 11 impreza wrx hatch. Loving this car. From Pittsburgh area 412.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good looking car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

awww its so stock and unmolested
    2003 Wrx wagon
    Full STi conversion
    S204 EJ207 engine
    @Jn_Garage

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yup. Cold air intake and short throw... Gonna stay that way prolly. Just a boosted daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobalou View Post
    Yup. Cold air intake and short throw... Gonna stay that way prolly. Just a boosted daily.

The ECU requires remapping for the cold air intake or you are going to have a really bad day sooner than later.

All? NO ALL!

Bought it with it already done. So I'd assume it should be ok. But thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it, runs great now.

Assume nothing. It's super common for some rando to in marry the AP and sell it. The AP also only covers the Cobb and aem intakes. Anything else requires a dyno tune.

You won't know there is a problem until failure of a piston. I would verify what's on there asap

All? NO ALL!

Well there's a warranty for that.. But it's just a perin cold air intake into the fender well..

https://www.carid.com/perrin-perform...1IUaAkXD8P8HAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    A warranty wont matter if the engine blows. Subaru will blame it on the modified intake.

Welcome to subarus. Pretty much every mod besides a catback exhaust needs to be tuned for. Running a aftermarket intake without proper ecu calibration will and is causing slow but sure damage to your engine.

Subaru's are MAF sensor based cars. Your car, not being tuned for the intake, still thinks it is getting the same amount of air that the stock intake pulls in. It is not compensating for the extra air in the air/fuel ratio.

Bottom line, your car is not fine with that intake, even though it seems to be running fine. You are causing slow irreversible damage to your engine. It must be tuned for, or get a stock intake to put back on the car.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    2012 WRB STi Limited Sedan
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Retired and traded.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...sti-build.html <---- My STi build thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----My WRX build thread

Like I said. I'll look into it. Appreciate the heads up. Not going to jump to a stock intake because if it in fact has a tune on it I will just be screwing around back to square 1.

I Support ClubWRX
    Completely agree with you there. You need to know if it is currently tuned or not. I would stay out of boost until you find out and either get a tune, or a stock intake back on until you can get a tune.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    2012 WRB STi Limited Sedan
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Retired and traded.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...sti-build.html <---- My STi build thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----My WRX build thread

Your call boss, but I can assure you that you won't be happy with the results of trying to claim warranty. 99.9% of the time Subaru is on top of it and will hand you a bill to the tune of multiple thousands of dollars for a short block replacement.

So, the options are spend a few hundred now to verify what's on the car and what it's tuned for, and get a proper tune, or spend 6k shortly down the road replacing the short lock because your pistons are toast. The stock tune is far from modification friendly, and is even far for ideal in stock form from some of the afr charts I've seen.

The only company that has put out any notable information about their intake not needing a tune was ETS I believe. It was specifically designed to match the stock airbox flow, and they have produced airflow graphs to prove it.

All? NO ALL!

Much appreciation. Fortunately It doesn't need to be a primary vehicle, I spoke to a buddy and got a shop recommended to me, back into the ram for now I suppose

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're in Pittsburgh. Nowhere better close to you than TPG in Blairsville. Get them to have a look at it.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    You're in Pittsburgh. Nowhere better close to you than TPG in Blairsville. Get them to have a look at it.
    That's actually my plan. Had a couple people referred them, one is even a dyno guy already but not import.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.