Subaru WRX Forum banner

Buying a used 2014 Wrx Hatch!!

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  gavinp98 
#1 ·
Hi guys i'm new here! This weekend i'm driving up 5 hours away from my hometown (Chicago) to look at a 2014 wrx hatch! I already checked the buying a used car thread forum and was wondering if I can get any of your guys suggestions or experience when you guys bought your used wrx! The car has 32k miles and pretty much stock besides an exhaust and a short throw shifter. Clean carfax. I called an import shop and asked for them to do a compression test, but they told me there wasn't any point in spending money on a compression test if the car only has 32k miles! What do you guys think? I'm aware that many people abuse these cars so should I get the compression test done? Will I be alright If i just take the car to a dealership and get a used car inspection? I have basic knowledge on cars and I know what to check when buying a used car. Comments/Suggestions appreciated!;)

#2 ·
I would look around for a performance shop local to chicago that specializes in Subaru's and see if you can't take it to them for an inspection. They would be able to walk around and look for anything out of place, and they would also be able to more accurately look for signs of previous or current engine mods.

#3 ·
unfortunately won't be able to do that since time doesn't allow. I work all week and neither the seller or I won't have time. The shops are usually closed Saturday too which is my only day off. The owner also has clear coat on the rear quarter panel areas? I believe i've noticed these on the subies before but it looks pretty annoying when the car is dirty, because then the clear coat line is visible and almost looks like a scratch. Would I be able to take it off and would the paint be okay?

#4 ·
I would leave it. Mine get beat to death and I'd prefer to keep as much possible rust away from my quarter panels.

If I had to buy another WRX/STI I would not even consider it unless it got a pre purchase Inspection from a performance shop that specializes in Subaru and is respected in the community.

It isn't unheard of to find dead pistons at low mileage. If a performance shop told you it isn't worth checking on a prepurchase check then they are not familiar with the brand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Welcome Biggmizzle. Glad that you are going to buy a WRX. But be very careful about buying used WRX. Some people smash it hard and put all kinds of mods on it. Then they take all the mods off and put the stock parts back on when they wanted to sell it. The best is to have a specialized shop to look at it to make sure the drive train and the engine is in good shape. Another guy bought a used 2015 or 16 WRX also, but he now has major issue with his car. Not saying your's the case, but just be aware. I also know personally that some people sell their WRX as soon as they hear something wrong because they smash it hard on tracks.

You might also consider leasing a new WRX. I know it's not a hatchback. But it's a peace of mind.

#7 ·
Let me tell you first hand. Buying a subaru wrx is an amazing experience and these cars are the most fun to drive and i love my wrx. BUT be prepared to have extra cash in fixing the car if anything goes wrong. I bought a used wrx and it only had 30k miles on a new block. Car spun a rod bearing in less than a month and I've had to take a loan out to fix it. Although the one i bought was pretty modified it seems to be a hit or miss when buying a used subaru. The infamous knocking noise (spun rod bearing) can be a problem if the car is not well maintained. with only few mods, you should be fine but be aware, it is a risk when buying one. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully it turns out all well! Also when looking at the car, look at the sidewall of the tires. You will be able to see if he has been really sliding the car around corners and abusing it. If he's been doing that, id stay away. Subarus that are abused are ticking time bombs. Ive had friends who abused them and spun a rod bearing at 45k miles so be careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.