Subaru WRX Forum banner

Newbie to the WRX

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SubieMike83 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the WRX just joined the site and hoping to learn what I can about the Subie. Just purchased a 17 Limited WRX. Never owned one so this is unfamiliar territory for me. Most of my pervious vehicles have been trucks and muscle cars. I've heard some good things about the WRX so I figured I would give one a shot. I took it for a test drive and was sold. Very impressed on the power, handling, and driver side room of a the car. I've done a little research on the forum and different web sites and concerned a little bit about reading there have been problems with the clutch on the 15-16 models going out from 200-24,000 miles. Anyone have any of these issues on the 17 models? I've been riding motorcycles for the past 24 years so I'm familiar with performance upgrades and tuning which is required once you start modifying. I was going to go with the STI but couldn't justify the extra 7,000 for 50 hp and I'm not planning on taking my car to the track. It's pretty much a daily driver. Between driving both of them I couldn't tell that much of a difference. I figured with a stage 2 if I decide to go that route I could get the 40-50hp and torque pretty close to the STI if I wanted.

#2 ·
You get way more than 50hp. You get a vastly improved drivetrain, and mechanical LSD.

As for the clutch. Throw out bearings are a common complaint. I'm sure there are people roasting clutches in quick fashion however there are lots and lots of folks getting a solid run out of them. I wouldn't be concerned unless it's your first manual vehicle. It is more common for a newbie to torch it than someone with experience.

Modifications and tuning can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it. Cobb sells staged packages with the tuner and appropriate parts so that there isn't a lot of pain involved. The tunes they offer off the shelf with the accessport are limited to exactly the parts listed in the map notes. So when you buy their staged package everything is correct and ready.

On the other side, you can buy just about any aftermarket part and have a custom tune done for it. This can net you better end results but every part you install will need the tune revised. So if you do an intake and get a tune, then months later decide you want a turbo back exhaust, you will be paying for another tune. So if dyno tunes are your goal I would recommend buying the parts you want, installing them when you go to have the car tuned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
What's up I also just joined the site this would be my first wrx second Subaru I had an svx 15 yrs ago. Wow that makes me sound old but I actually bought it for a great price 9,600. It's a 2012 with 108,000 miles the head gasket was going out on it the dude quit driving it immediately and it sat til I bought it and took it to the garage and it will be ready in about 10 more days. It will be a long wait. It's also tuned with a decent bit of extras and it was done right

#4 ·
Welcome, new here as well and your thought process was very similar to mine. I would like to have gotten the STi but couldnt swing the extra $$ and in the end its a daily driver that wont ever see a race track so the plain WRX seemed like a better fit. With this type of car its likely new and inexperienced drivers or ones beating the shyt out of their car that are blowing clutches so I wouldnt worry much. IF you read enough you will find a worry thread for probably every component on the car, just the way it is.

#8 ·
Yeeeaaah, I'm with XJ on this. Research goes a loooong way for you in the end. All you need to do honestly, is visit a local wheel shop and ask them to convert offset for you. properly fitted wheels and tires to match with a proper offset will gain you the desired look of having a little stance. the idea of spacers doesn't even really sound safe imo. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.