Subaru WRX Forum banner

New Guy Looking for Advice Before Buying.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  madmaxxed 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm trying to do some digging around before taking the leap over to a Subaru. I've heard and read some things about head gasket failures. Are these issues still known in later model WRXs or STIs, ranging around 2013-2016? I'm thinking about going used, preferably 1 owner. Used leaves me a bit nervous not knowing how the previous owner treated the car. I feel these cars, like my current car attract the more than spirited drivers who may or may not be abusive. Anything I need to look for with these cars when taking out for test drives and checking out different models? I'm looking towards a STI and between the dates mentioned. Are these equipped with timing chains or belts? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Head gaskets aren't generally an issue on the WRX/STI in stock or mildly modified form.

Timing belt, replaced every 105K miles.

If you're buying a used Subaru, once you figure out purchase price, have an independent third-party inspection done on the vehicle, preferably by a shop that's familiar with modified WRX/STIs; it's common for cars to be modified, parted out, and sold "all stock". As part of the inspection, make sure that compression / leakdown tests are performed (this will give insight as to the health of the motor). Put it into the bill of sale that if the car passes, you'll add that to the cost of the car; if a seller refuses that stipulation, walk, because they're worried that there are motor issues and are trying to pass a lit fuse to you.

#3 ·
As mentioned the Subaru head gasket issue seems to be more of an issue with older Legacys and Outbacks . . . and it's why my wife now drives a 2015 Legacy instead of a 2003 Legacy.

No real advice on buying used . . . but I might suggest for the model years you are looking at (2013-2016) you consider buying new. The price tag will be slightly higher, but the difference may surprise you as these cars tend to hold their value quite well so sometimes the savings going with used is not as good as you might expect. Other advantages to buying new often include better financing rates/terms vs. used car rates, being able to order the car exactly how you want it without any of the options you don't want and (this was a big one for me) you know right from Day 1 how the car was broke in and how it was driven (vs. having no idea if the previous owner properly broke it in, properly maintained it and how he or she drove it.) It may be worth the time to consider new . . .

#4 ·
yes to everything he said. I fully planned on buying my 17 WRX used, mostly since I am just on of those guys who refuses to take the huge depreciation your car takes as you drive it off the lot and it becomes "used". But as I was searching for a gently used version from someone I hoped hadn't beat the living hell out of it, I discovered that the prices in many cases were HIGHER than new from WRX owners who had modded their cars and wanted to pass that cost on to me, whether I wanted it or not. The part about at the interest rates is true also. I have fairly terrible credit- but, by buying a brand new car and adding a (out of necessity) bumper to bumper warranty- I got a respectable interest rate I would never have achieved used and or w/o that warranty. I also had the dealer go $500 under the best price I could find on TrueCar for my options on a Premium trim level. Definitely don't rule out new.

#5 ·
Thank you all for the info. I made some calls and I'll be getting into a 2017 crystal white pearl STI tomorrow after work!!! I'm so excited!!! Question, my car I'm trading in has a permanent CEL light/code for an 02 sensor which I'd rather not trade it in that way. The trade in quote and new car pricing has been presented via email and voice calls so it will just be finalizing the paperwork tomorrow. Should I worry about the CEL with the dealership or is it something they get often with trades and not think anything of it? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.