Subaru WRX Forum banner

2013 WRX Hatch to Cold Air Intake or not to Cold Air intake?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  WRX-maniac 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I would get the COBB unit with box and an ap or dyno tune. The ap also supports the aem intake if I recall correctly.

If you get the K and n unit you will need to have a dyno tune. Many places require you to buy an ap for the dyno tune. So, you'll be in the cost of an intake, ap, and tune. So 1500 bucks for mainly a sound mod.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
In order to get any sort of noticeable power gains out of an intake, your car should be retuned for said intake. AEM makes a good CAI, but Cobb also makes a good RAM intake. Those are easily the two most popular and supported intakes for your model year.

#6 ·
I would (as others have) suggest the Cobb intake with the box, and AP, and then a tune. If you don't know any local tuners, may I suggest Eric from Torqued Performance. He's done stage 1, stage 2, stage 2 w/Cobb intake, and STU legal maps for me. Great customer service from him as well. Either way, if you can't tune - DON'T TOUCH THE INTAKE.

#7 ·
Wow, there is a lot of misleading information on that page..... I kind of expected more intelligence from Car and Driver.

First off, an aftermarket intake is not really warranty safe. The reason is that in order to properly run an intake on our cars, like stated above, it must be tuned for. Reflashing your ecu with another map is instant means for a warranty claim denial. If you put the intake on your car with no tune, there is a pretty high chance of doing non reversible damage to your engine. In turn could turn into a warranty claim, in turn if Subaru finds out you had an aftermarket intake on your car....... you guessed it, chances are they will deny your warranty claim.

The only true thing that they said was that adding a catback exhaust will NOT void your warranty. That is true. but I also feel that gaining 10 ft lbs of torque from a catback is not too realistic.

Bottom line, intake=tune. Every time, with every intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.