Subaru WRX Forum banner

New owner of 2002 wrx

555 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Axelhero 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2002 wrx. I'm from Monroe,nc which is just outside of Charlotte.

Mods done:
-engine rebuilt with weisco Pistons and manly rods.
-Cat back exhaust
-Perrin short ram intake
-Stage 1 or 2 clutch
-Sti cluster, steering wheel and seats.
-Was tuned at a shop by previous owner.
-Uninstalled vf48
-Uninstalled bigger top mount intercooler
-Uninstalled sti blue injectors

Questions I have:
-Which oil to run? (Yes I know it's a big debate. Manual says 5w-30 and use synthetic of course. Would I be okay running penn platinum or similar full synthetic? Or is there a specific brand the wrx does best with? Also the previous owner recommended 10w-40 Mobil 1.

-Should I invest in a downpipe? It's stock right now and I know it's very restrictive and would love to open it up more. I'm considering the invidia v2 3in catless. I've read there's a few ways to avoid the check engine light and I'm assuming most shops that specialize in Subaru will know. There's a big shop motion lab tuning here in Charlotte and I'm sure they know the secret to it if I let them do it for me.

-Should I invest in the extension tube to turn the short ram intake into a cold air intake? I sit in traffic a lot and the short ram doesn't make sense as I'd be just sucking in hot air from the engine bay. If I was driving and not stopping much the short ram would make more sense.

-What's the dipstick at the back of the motor for? It's an manual so unless it's a tranny dipstick...

-Anything else I should know about the car or make a priority?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.