VW guy thinking about the switch to an STI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW guy thinking about the switch to an STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster here. I'm a 24 year old public accountant and as the title ...

VW guy thinking about the switch to an STI

Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster here. I'm a 24 year old public accountant and as the title says, I've been a VW guy for about 9 years now and am thinking about switching car brands. I'm currently driving a 2015 VW GLI SEL that has APR Stage 2, Unitronic turboback exhaust, carbonio intake and lowered on Koni sports/H&R springs. I thought this was going to be my car for 4-5 years, but I've had a lot of issues with rattles, things breaking and other mechanical issues so I want to get rid of it. My choice of a good new car for after-college life was definitely a bad one...

I was thinking about getting a CPO BMW 335i xDrive but it's almost impossible to find one with a manual. I've always been a fan of Subarus so naturally that was my next choice since I will not buy another VW. The main things that I want are AWD, manual transmission and decent interior. I'm a very finicky person so I'm a little curious if any of you have experienced many issues with rattles or anything that would bother a picky person? Any other recommendations or input on making the switch from VW to Subaru? Thanks!!

Here's a pic of my GLI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_1456284094544.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! I was in a similar situation, was into the VW scene for many years, highly invested in the brand... but the transition into a Subaru was very easy and enjoyable... check out my build thread to see my GTI and back story.
    Present: 2016 Subaru WRX Pro-Tuned
    Instagram: Steamax
    Build Thread: Click Here
    YouTube: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Steemax View Post
    Welcome! I was in a similar situation, was into the VW scene for many years, highly invested in the brand... but the transition into a Subaru was very easy and enjoyable... check out my build thread to see my GTI and back story.
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'll have to check out your build thread.

I've heard the newer WRXs have much better interiors than the early ones. As I own a 02 wrx the interior is pretty rattly and noisy but they have certainly improved on interior quality since 2002.
    "If the power increases, then I have to spend more money on gas" - Takumi Fujiwara

Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...eye-wagon.html

You have a nice car, the WRX STI is an amazing car. I went from a Honda S2000 to the 2016 STI, amazing car all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Philssti View Post
    You have a nice car, the WRX STI is an amazing car. I went from a Honda S2000 to the 2016 STI, amazing car all around.
    Thanks! I really like my car other than the issues I'm having with it. I have 7000 miles on it and VW already had to pull the motor apart to replace the camshaft. Now a week later I get a low oil light on and there's only a little drip on the end of the dipstick and its milky. Then the volume knob keeps breaking off my navi unit and they will not warranty it a second time even though a lot of people are having the same issue. Lastly, the are blaming door panel rattle on window tint and my VW drivers gear lowering springs so they won't even look at that. The VW dealer doesn't get back with me so I've been dealing with VWoA but it's a waste of my time. I've been consulting with my attorney but I might just trade it in.

I would certainly go test drive one. The new WRX is a lot nicer than the fast econoboxes of old but it probably still feels of lesser quality than your VW. I've heard people who've had the car a year do get some little rattles here and there but nothing major. Biggest complaint I hear from people is the road noise of the car. I own a 78 Chevy with zero sound insulation and twin glasspacks so pretty much anything I drive is quiet compared to that haha

I can tell you that my 14 WRX rattles everywhere and the in the rain it sounds like I have a tin roof above my head. However, I didn't buy my car for the interior. I bought it because it has a pretty good motor (if you treat it right) and the AWD. The rattles don't bother me.

Take a test drive.
    2014 DGM Sedan

Stink Eye Mob #228

The interior won't be as refined as the VW but it will be a more reliable car. Road noise is one of the worst I've experienced in a long time but they tried to save weight where they could, so there is a method to the madness. In very cold temps you might get a slight rattle here or there but I never had any during summer.

Overall it's just more of a driver's car and less of a comfort item, everything is very sharp and mechanical. I do like VW's and their gentlemen style, I just wouldn't own one due to the issues I always hear about.

Side note, yours looks awesome!

Registered User Firefighterjake's Avatar
    I only have 16,000 or so miles on my WRX so you have to take what I say with a grain of salt . . . but the only rattle I had was when it was sub zero out and I had some odd rattle around my windshield.

It is a bit noisy and a little more spartan inside compared to say my wife's Legacy or other cars I've been in, but I expected that . . . and like other folks . . . I didn't buy the WRX to be cocooned in luxury with all kinds of noise blocking . . . I bought it for the ride and handling in all kinds of weather . . . and it has delivered what I expected flawlessly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed with what has been said already. The car is very solid overall. I'm 10,000 miles into my 2015 WRX and still have no noises or rattles of any kind. Definitely test drive one.
    ...BECAUSE RALLY CAR

Current Build: 2015 WRX Premium - WRB - Stage 2

Definitely solid... even if this car had any slight rattles I wouldn't notice it from being subjected to the many years of constant rattling, clunks and clanks from my GTI lol.
    Present: 2016 Subaru WRX Pro-Tuned
    Instagram: Steamax
    Build Thread: Click Here
    YouTube: Click Here

Home of the blues, the Blues, and the real life blues.
    My car is less than a year old with 8,000 miles. I have several consistent rattles in my car. The clutch pedal makes noise, the brake pedal makes noise, and there is plenty of road noise at cruising speeds. All of this was amplified with the addition of Corsa exhaust. I would turn the radio up to compensate for the rattles, but the radio is probably the worst in the segment and I think the front passenger side speaker is blown, as it rattles with the rest of the cabin. All of this is amplified as well in cold weather, and not terribly noticable in warm weather, which is probably why the gentlemen in Southern California have less complaints. These cars are noisy. If that really bothers you then you need to look elsewhere. Yes, the interior has been improved, but it's certainly not why you purchase a STI.

As far as reliability is concerned, the car is very reliable... except for the multiple reported instances of ringland faulures and spun bearings on stock motors, let alone modified motors. Subaru will likely deny any warranty claim on even lightly modified EJ motors.

If you buy a STI you're buying a track ready car geared toward people with budgets. They perform phenomenally, but they are not luxurious or free of rattles or other drawbacks. If you're looking for a track ready car with refinement, keep looking toward BMW. I have my STI, because I could give two ****s about refinement and I knew I was rolling the dice with the motor when I purchased this car.

Good luck.

IMO the interior has a lot to be desired. it is not overly impressive but seems sound. I have been in others with much more impressive looking interior but hold up. I agree with Zach. my clutch does make a tremendous amount of noise and clicks almost every time. it is the most annoying part for me. the Radio is one of the worst I have ever used but I know that going into it and also not why I was looking into a car like the WRX. the best thing to do would be to drive one and see how you feel in it.

my 2016 is a noob at just under 2000 miles. and I feel is super quiet and no rattles at all. before I bought the wrx I test drove a gti and always felt the vw made all the sounds you wanted to hear from a sport turbo car. I think my interior is on par with the gti. but my wrx handles tighter and is faster. if it only made all those sexy sounds. yes I'm in the market for a cat back. lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.