Subaru WRX Forum banner

Hi! Looking at 2016 WRX or STI

39K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  ChristopherWRX 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I have been a lurker here for a while now, it's good to finally join in on the banter. I have been looking at placing an order for either a 2016 Premium WRX or base STi, I'm not sure which one yet. Which one would you guys go with?

#3 ·
Depends on your intended use, track, auto x etc. If I were to do it over again, I would go with the STi. I am getting out of the bike game after many years, and want to start tracking my car.

#6 ·
Yeah I Think at the end of the day I'd always want an STi so I may as well jump for it! Now I need to decide if I want to wait for the 2017 model and hope it has the upgraded engine or to just go ahead and order the 2016. Decisions, decisions...

#7 ·
The debate got even more complex with this years models now that they are running two entirely different engines. I originally went after the STI and ended up purchasing a WRX because of all the praise my local tuner went on about regarding the new DIT engine.

There were many other factors involved with my decision (comfort, insurance costs to name a few), but basically it came down to the fact that I'm never going to auto X my car, as it's my daily driver. Yes the STI is and always will be faster (stock vs. stock), but I didn't feel as if I was settling on a lesser car. The WRX is still plenty fast. Both are fantastic cars, and you'll love which ever you choose. :thumbup:

#8 ·
I decided on a '16 WRX Limited. One of the big reasons I chose a WRX over the STI is the mileage. I like the idea of squeezing out 30+ mpg. Also, it will be nearly the same mileage as my Speed3 that I'm used to. Also, I went with the WRX because of the price. I want to get the highest trim (no options though) and the WRX is much cheaper.

I know the STI has better performance, but these 2 reasons kept me from getting one. Since I'm happy with the power of my Speed3, the WRX will be plenty fun for me right now.

#9 ·
To me I have always kind of summed it up this way...

"The WRX is a daily driver that you can take to the track (or autoX), and the STi is a track car that you can daily drive."

Either way there's not really a wrong choice. And these days the debate has kind of changes from the past because the two have different engines and but they're both 6MT. I went with the WRX due to a slightly limited budget and I wanted money left over to mod and build and customize. Also I like the tall gearing of my 5MT for daily driving.

#15 ·
1 - wrx if you don't wanna drive stick and/or wanna have cheaper insurance while getting better gas mileage in addition to not planning to mod heavily or take to the track...

2 - sti if you wanna take it to the track and money is not that much of an issue

(for the 2015/2016 models there is a even bigger difference between the wrx and sti when compared to the previous generation)

#22 ·
I got the wrx over the STI because it would always be the daily driver and the STI came with 2 deal breakers: terrible fuel economy and brembo brakes. I am only going to deal with brembo's if I go to the track regularly. I'd like to, but I don't think autocross happens way up here too often. But, like others before have said, best to go with what makes you happy.

#24 ·
Yeah that's pretty impressive. At the end of the day my brain keeps telling me to get the WRX and my heart says STi. I'll probably end up just getting the WRX since I wouldn't be tracking it and the extra $$ would be hard to justify, thanks for the help everybody!!

#27 ·
Seeming to have a little trouble finding thread that discussed it's invalidity, but when you think about it, the WRX is the "Daily Performer" and the STi is the "Track monster", so why would you want an inverted setup on a WRX? Potentially more wear, and of course better performance but also at the cost of a rougher ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.