06-07 sti or 11-13 sti?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 06-07 sti or 11-13 sti? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello I've never owned a subaru before but am currently shopping for an sti. I can't decide between the 06-07 ...

06-07 sti or 11-13 sti?

Hello I've never owned a subaru before but am currently shopping for an sti. I can't decide between the 06-07 body style or the 11-13 body style. The 07 has always been my favorite sti but I don't know what to go with. Are there any years I should be skeptical of, common problems ect. Also the im only getting an sti with less than 30k so I don't expect there to be to much I have to avoid but I'd like to have a better knowledge of the sti to make my decision. Any input helps thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    I'll keep it really short and sweet...

If you plan to do some serious mods and care more about performance than other simpler things then get the 2006/2007 STI models.

If you want something with far less mileage and lower maintenance cost, and possibly cheaper insurance, get the 2011-2013 STI models.

With that said, it depends on your priorities and personal taste. If you're looking at it through pure cosmetics and style of the car then nobody can decide or answer that question besides yourself. If you're planning to daily drive the car and keep it around for multiple years, then newer is normally better, assuming the car was taken care of and maintained properly.

It may be personal bias, but something about a "wider" rear on the 2011-2014 wrx's and a stock quad-exhaust set-up is what made me choose a 2014 wrx sedan rather than something from previous generations. Like I said, it is all for personal preference and either generation of cars is the way to go. You will be happy no matter what.

The only year I would be a tad worried or reluctant about is the 2008 models, but not because they're "bad" or anything, but just because they seemed to be watered down and have little issues here and there. Each year of course has pro's and cons. If you can wait a little bit, buy the "last" year of a generation and style... at that point all the problems are fixed and from a collector's point of view, those years are the best. That was another driving factor why I chose a 250'ish miles on a 2014 SEDAN over a 2013 sedan/hatchback...

Anyway, welcome, and if you have any other questions don't hesitate at all to ask!

Welcome again and good luck buddy!

For now I just want a reliable daily but don't plan on doing anything crazy to the car till it has somewhat higher milage on it. The 07 I've been reading has problems with the factory tune blowing the engine. How common was this problem and is there a fix. If I get the compression test done and all is good can I prevent problems later down the road.

The 07 is my favorite sti built but it is pretty hard finding one with lower miles. I'm finding a lot of them with 100k+ miles and people asking 20k for the car. Tomorrow I'm callin a dealer in VA. I found they have a 07satin white sti that looks super clean through the pics I saw. If it has less than 30k miles I might take a stab at it.

I Support ClubWRX
    For obvious reasons, a newer car will typically be a better buy than an older car for a number of reasons. If you can afford it, I would buy one of the 11-14 STI's.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    IMHO the 2007 STI is second only to the 2015 STI.

This decision is really down to personal preference though. Which ever one you like more both in terms of driving it and looking at it is the one you should get.

Quote Originally Posted by RubHerDucky View Post
    I found they have a 07satin white sti that looks super clean through the pics I saw. If it has less than 30k miles I might take a stab at it.
    Couldn't they just tell you the mileage over the phone or in the ad?
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 03-09-2015 at 06:48 AM.
    My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I called them and it was a bust had over 100k miles. Does anyone know where I can begin to look for an 07 with low miles? The 11-14 are everywhere and I drove a 15. I just like the 07 best so Id like to look for one so I don't have that what if feeling.

I Support ClubWRX
    You are going to be hard pressed to find an 07 STI with under 30k miles. That's going to be like trying to find waldo while looking through a satellite image of the whole United States. I'm not saying it can't be done, because there is likely an 07 with under 30k miles. It'll just be a matter of being in the right place at the exact right time. If you are extremely patient, you should be able to locate one eventually.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    You are going to be hard pressed to find an 07 STI with under 30k miles. That's going to be like trying to find waldo while looking through a satellite image of the whole United States. I'm not saying it can't be done, because there is likely an 07 with under 30k miles. It'll just be a matter of being in the right place at the exact right time. If you are extremely patient, you should be able to locate one eventually.
    This ^

It's not impossible just not probable. Those are very rare at this point.

Maybe you could up the mileage requirement. If all the maintenance was done and the car was treated the right way it would be worth a look even at 60k-80k. Low mileage for a 2007 would be in that range honestly.
    My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    hey op reading all of this... just get a 2011-2014 model and call it a day... trust me...

So after searching for a month or so I came across a 2007 wrx sti limited with 40k miles. The car is urban gray metallic and looks flawless in pictures. It had one owner and almost all service records and is 100% stock. I'm going to look at it next week and probably gonna buy it if someone doesn't beat me there. I'm gonna have it looked at by Subaru and have a compression test done. What else should I look for when going over the car?

Really I found like 4-5 of them with less than 40k miles but I want the limited bc the extras. Leather fog lights heated seats ect. I did find one with 16k miles but they want 33k for the car which imho isn't bad bc it's basically brand new but doesn't have the features I want

I was in your similar situation. I ended up going with a 2010 over an 06 for two main reasons.

First, you can't fold down the seats in any STI older than 08. Way less practical. No way to move anything you can't fit in the trunk itself.

Second, the 06 cost about the same amount of money, but it was 4 years older and had the same amount of miles. That's pretty typical... you're going to pay the same amount for both years, but one will be older and usually have as many or more miles.

Ya for me it's between the 12-13 or 07. But from all my looking the older ones seem to hold their value. I.e. I was finding 07 sti with 100k mi with asking prices near 25k where the newer ones were way less than that. I drool when I see 07 sti going by and I know if I don't get one I'll hate my own sti (probably not but I'm sure u will get the idea).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.