New but No WRX YET!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New but No WRX YET!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I have no WRX YET but pretty sure thats the way Im headed, currently have a 2012 Si ...

New but No WRX YET!!!

Hey all,
    I have no WRX YET but pretty sure thats the way Im headed, currently have a 2012 Si and looking to buy an older WRX (02-05) just to get my feet wet in this world before I go all in on an STI, which im pretty sure will happen.. I look forward to learning and talking on this group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southpark.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!
    We are a little different from the Honda crowd.
    You'll see as you go along.
    People hear are friendly and knowledgeable, and always willing to help out.

When your looking for an STI, you want low mileage and service records.
    Also look for one that has no mods, you don't want someones headache.
    Happy hunting, and keep us posted.
    Last edited by TownLine500; 12-12-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Thanks TownLine500, yeah Im sure u guys r different here, 2 totally different cars. The turbos is whats always worried me like thats just asking for problems but Im getting over that hold up and getting a WRX. Its time to go big or go home
    Yeah I hear u about the mods, theres a '02 WRX "STI build" here in Jersey for sale, yeaaaahhh ok. not going for that headache

Registered User Jackstand Johnny's Avatar
    Hey GB welcome to Club WRX. I'm actually a new owner of a 2002 WRX wagon myself. I researched this car a lot before buying it but after I got it I still came across quirks that I didnt read anything about till I started searching for them. From what I've seen with my car and from what others have posted, these cars tend to have some issues with the lights dimming like the battery and alternator arent doing their jobs even though theyre operating at 100%. I havent had my car stall on me yet, but its an automatic and that might play into it somehow. I have a grounding kit on the way as well as the big 3 upgrade. Research those while youre looking for your next car and youll be ahead of the curve.

As Towline said, look for the lowest mileage you can find as well as the one thats got the most service records, parts receipts and find one bone stock if you can. This is just common sense for buying any car really but if you want reliability, youre probably not gonna get it from a car with a ton of mods done to it like you would a stock car because a modified car is an abused car. I got lucky and bought mine from a Girl who works at an auto parts supplier so not only was the car very clean with a ton of new(albeit cheap) parts but it was also 100% stock with only 92,xxx miles.

If you want I still have about 3 or 4 weeks left to file 3 more carfax reports. A friend here hooked me up big time when He welcomed me to the WRX family and told me to pay the favor forward *cough cough Towline cough* so maybe this is a good way for me to start. PM me when youre serious about a particular car with the VIN and Ill send you the carfax so you have a better idea of what youre getting. Best of luck, I promise you wont regret owning a WRX or STi.

Welcome Gb! Are you on 9thgen or 9thcivic forums? I had a 12 Si and traded in for my 15 WRX. No regrets here. Subie people actually have a real following with way less rice and idiots. They also wave when passing each other and the cars are beasts even from stock when compared to an Si. It almost feels like I'm back in the biker community which was great.

I loved my Civic and it was my 3rd Honda, I put almost 60k on her but I don't miss it... Except for that smooth as butter trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstand Johnny View Post
    If you want I still have about 3 or 4 weeks left to file 3 more carfax reports. A friend here hooked me up big time when He welcomed me to the WRX family and told me to pay the favor forward *cough cough Towline cough* so maybe this is a good way for me to start. PM me when youre serious about a particular car with the VIN and Ill send you the carfax so you have a better idea of what youre getting. Best of luck, I promise you wont regret owning a WRX or STi.
    Wow!!!! Great man! That would be phenomenal. I will definitely notify you when I find one, not really looking that hard now bcz so much to do with Christmas and all but after I should buckle down more. Im thinking from every1s advice that I have to go for much much lower milage.
    Thanks again man, Ill keep in touch

Quote Originally Posted by batman900 View Post
    Welcome Gb! Are you on 9thgen or 9thcivic forums? I had a 12 Si and traded in for my 15 WRX. No regrets here. Subie people actually have a real following with way less rice and idiots. They also wave when passing each other and the cars are beasts even from stock when compared to an Si. It almost feels like I'm back in the biker community which was great.

I loved my Civic and it was my 3rd Honda, I put almost 60k on her but I don't miss it... Except for that smooth as butter trans.
    Im on the 9thGenCivic.com boards and learned quite a bit though I never got around to modifying it. Ive pushed my civic and I cant wait to feel the difference on how a wrx hugs the turns with all wheel drive, nevermind the turbo! Thats going to be a whole other experience lol. I think I will opt for a regular WRX for my first one and eventually step up to an STI. The trans cant be that much different, can it, lol.
    Thanks man. glad to hear we have a lot in common, guess Im not the only one to go from civic to subaru

Quote Originally Posted by gblondet View Post
    I think I will opt for a regular WRX for my first one and eventually step up to an STI. The trans cant be that much different, can it, lol.
    You sound like a WRX owner already! Yes, the trans can be that much different, as can the AWD system and other components in the STI.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I think I will opt for a regular WRX for my first one and eventually step up to an STI. The trans cant be that much different, can it, lol.
    Completely different transmission. Completely different AWD system. The STi AWD is much more modern (though by today's standards, it's a bit old as well!). The WRX AWD and transmission is straight out of the mid-1980s.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The WRX AWD and transmission is straight out of the mid-1980s.
    That's okay, so am I.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    That's okay, so am I.
    You wish!

I Support ClubWRX
    Well sure, child of the sixties...but the 80's were good to me. Saw and did a lot of things for the first time.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    You sound like a WRX owner already! Yes, the trans can be that much different, as can the AWD system and other components in the STI.
    Lol.. NIIIICE!! Thanks bro ==== . Frkn beautiful WRX btw.. I CANT wait to try out the AWD… That trans. Now Im going to have to go on a test drive and see what all the fuss is about lol

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Completely different transmission. ….The WRX AWD and transmission is straight out of the mid-1980s.
    Damn, wonder why they’ve changed so little on it? I never knew how good I had it with my Si’s tranny

You guys are funny lol

Lol.. NIIIICE!! Thanks bro ==== . Frkn beautiful WRX btw.. I CANT wait to try out the AWD… That trans. Now Im going to have to go on a test drive and see what all the fuss is about lol
    I did get to drive a WRX in 2004 when a friend in France bought a new one. It's a distant memory, but if I recall it felt raw, more connected than my '15. My car is just a tune away from what I want in a car at this point in my life, but back then that '04 was what I dreamed of. It's a really fun car for sure! Just make sure you get a good one as WRX's can become an expensive hobby pretty quickly.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.