New WRX engine failure advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New WRX engine failure advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everybody. I have a 2014 WRX that has just under 15,000 miles. My engine failed and required a tow ...

New WRX engine failure advice

Hi everybody. I have a 2014 WRX that has just under 15,000 miles. My engine failed and required a tow to the dealership.
    They said my #3 cylinder did not receive enough oil and caused a significant amount of damage. I'm far from a mechanic and am looking for advice. They are replacing the entire short block. I don't drive the car hard and am puzzled. Should I keep the car? I've lost some confidence in its reliability and am concerned about its durability after the original engine components have been altered.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is just a factory defect. You, unluckily so, happen to be part of the extraordinarily small percentage of devastating factory defects. I would keep it. Consider it a fresh start from Subaru! The rebuild they do should be of pretty good quality. However, if you want to go though the hassle of selling this car after they rebuild it and get another one that was exactly the same or even a different car then that is all up to you. These are fairly reliable cars when not extremely modded and there is no reason this second motor shouldn't last. But again, the decision is yours to make in the end. If you don't feel it is reliable then sell it and get something different.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Just like with any mass quantity manufactured item, a car can be prone to defects just the same as your XBox or Coffee Maker.

Subaru technicians are competent...it will drive just like new and there won't be any problems. And if there are, its still under warranty. I'd totally keep the car cause otherwise getting rid of it, you will take a loss. There's no reason to lose confidence.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

McBill and Mikie 13,
    Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it! I hope this rebuild will last. You're right, the boxer engines are tried and true. So I'll keep it:-)

Goodluck with it! Just keep up with the maintenance like you would with any car, and you should be ok.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

I have been buying and driving Subarus for years.
    Engine failure is a Rare occurrence.
    It's being taken care of. Once you get it back.
    You would never know that the failure occurred.
    And where Subaru is fixing engine, if something does happen.
    Its on the dealer. As long as it's not abused.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Registered User electricmarquis's Avatar
    Engine failures on almost all manufacturers are rare. Even a engine in bad condition can drive 95% fine. Id say get the rebuild, and keep. If you were to buy that car used with 15k miles on it you would never know the block was rebuilt.

I vote to keep it. It sucks that it happened. But if you could get another something could happen to that, engine related or not. Especially if you get a 2015 as they are the first year of a new model.
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.