Subaru WRX Forum banner

New guy with my first wrx!

10K views 105 replies 19 participants last post by  Germz to Japz 
#1 ·
So i finally had the chance to get a Wrx after wanting one for a few years now. Sunday i found a deal my parents and i couldnt pass up. Yes, my parents bought it, but no worries, i know what i have and i know a lot about them and of course about what they can do! I currently do not have my license yet, (next couple months). But anyways, Sunday i got a 2003 Sonic Yellow Subaru Wrx with 136k and a few goodies on it. Mind you this car was a one owner car, and the previous owner took good care of it. He did put a few things into it such as a cobb downpipe, cobb catback, Aem CAI, and a sound system as well as a short throw shifter. Today i spent the whole cold day spending the time to clean it. The rims had a good amount of caked on brake dust, (prodrive rims) and of course the engine bay wasnt in the best looking shape. However the interior is about a 9.5/10. I started off cleaning the rims with simple green aswell as the engine bay to make the engine really show. After a few hours and elbow grease i got it to look pretty good, but theres tons left to do. (Has oxidation on Intake manifold aswell as other places, let me know how to clean it up a bit?) The Timing belt was already done so theres really nothing for me to do except plugs and wires. Heres how i got her.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome and congrats.

#9 ·
They look terrible. Don't kill yourself.

#10 · (Edited)
Im not a fan of the stripes but the rest of the car looks good. I would try to wet sand and restore the headlights

#12 ·
Yeah the stripes are pretty cheesy I gotta say. They should come right off with a heat gun right? And I was planning on restoring them but the weather isn't the best right now but I for sure will. Thanks for the love

#14 ·
Stripes are terrible looking. Looks like some Mexican bought generic vinyl at a Pep Boys and slapped it on his 2002 Kia Rio with a fake hoodscoop.

Otherwise, could be a nice little car. Did the original owner tune it?

#16 ·
Quick question, i was thinking about taking off the stripes and i was wondering. They have been on there since the factory ( he had them do it ) and im a little uneasy because i was thinking that it could possible take off paint or clear coat? Do you guys think there will be pretty noticeable marks from when they were there like streaks or a lighter yellow underneath?

#17 ·
Had the time to plasti-dip the rims. I think it looks better. Also a shot of the engine bay cleaned up a bit and then something i dont know? I figured out what the Shifter Zr3 is, its a laser jammer system for the obvious.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

#19 ·
Im not a fan of black wheels but they do look better. For the Stripes maybe can try to remove them of if that doesnt work you can get wider ones.

#20 ·
I know somebody who is a professional detailer and will see what he will say. But for the stripes, think I'm going to leave them untill spring comes unless there's a random warm day. It is different but they will be coming off for sure.

#24 ·
New driver I didn't notice you said that before....oh boy can't wait to see where this thread goes. Good luck with the car and be safe. Make sure to change the up pipe if it hasn't been done yet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I really like that car. But take your time and really learn how to drive it before you mod.
And for Gods sake man be careful! That's a lot of car for a new driver.as long as you respect the car, and follow traffic laws you'll do fine. Your probably doing this already, but get as much practice time in as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.