What do you think about this tune?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What do you think about this tune? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! So I bought a 2013 Subaru WRX back in January and I absolutely love it! And of course ...

Arrow What do you think about this tune?

Hey guys! So I bought a 2013 Subaru WRX back in January and I absolutely love it! And of course now I am thinking about some modifications...

I called a local tune shop that also specializes in Subaru's and here is what he quoted me...

For Invidia Exhaust and down pipe, blow off valve, inter cooler, new intake, Dyno tuned, guaranteed 330+ HP to the wheels, and installation for $4500.00. Of course I totally forgot exactly what parts he quoted me on, but what do you guys think?

End of the day $4500.00 is pretty expensive, but it also didn't make sense to do the parts separately. I think it isn't worth it, because the major parts need to be tuned to the vehicle and plus installation.

So my questions to you guys are...
    1) Is $4500.00 for all of that too expensive?
    2) If I get a new exhaust do I have to get the vehicle tuned for it?
    3) He talked me out of getting a short throw shifter and new bushings. I kind of agree with him because when the shifter sits lower I think the console will interfere and the e-brake. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advanced guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have the money spend away. If I were you, I would start with a simple stage 1 and tune. Work on your suspension and when that's all done see if your happy. That's some extremely serious money to spend when you can almost achieve that by careful planning and doing some of the work yourself. Just be smart about your purchases and you can get big numbers. For that extra price difference you could have purchased an STI. Good luck.

If they recommend a bov I would walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    If they recommend a bov I would walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 stay away from a bov

I Support ClubWRX
    Hopefully they mean BOV as in a recirculating one

I priced out a roughly got 3600 ish with Intake, Catted DP, Exhaust, TMIC gaskets, once step colder plugs, heat shield, fuel pump, Electronic Boost controller and a BOV (fully recirculating) so with install and a tune that price of 4500 sounds about right.

I dont know your driving history but If your looking to make numbers just to say you can make them thats all up to you its your car.

Personally I woud go with a DP and a tune so either an access port or etune with a tactrix see how the car drives if you want more power you an always go with small upgrades and still not need an engine build. Thats the way I would and plan on going I feel its safer. My opinion If you have that much to spend on the car go with some power upgrades as well as handling upgrades. Access ports have a great resale as long as you take care of them and make sure you unmarry it to the car.

As for short throw if you have the SPT option at least change the bushings.
    Last edited by cflip2x; 09-02-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

That's the thing it is a lot of money to just spend away. I also agree for that extra money I could have gotten a STI.

Back to one of my original questions if I put an exhaust on the car do I have to tune it?

Also I am still under warranty and placing all of those parts on the vehicle obviously won't void the warranty fully, but I have no doubt in my mind that my vehicle will have some issues in the long run (please correct me if I am wrong)

In the end my vehicle is my day to day and simply if something does go wrong with it I am pretty much screwed. I probably should have included I am not looking to race at all. Just probably get some more noise, maybe a little more power without jeopardizing the vehicle. Any suggestions?

@doku7 Why would you suggest the suspension?
    @cflip2x Do the bushings actually make the difference? and I only have the stock shifter.

The bushings make a huge difference
    Your warrenty can easily be voided
    The longevity of the vehicle regardless of tune will depend on how you drive it
    You can always put the parts on yourself, be very easy on the car and stay out of boost and drive to get it tuned if it's close enough
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do

The Big 2011/2012 Mod thread

Cat back no tune needed. The warrenty subject has been covered but im not going to go into it other people can explain it better as well as you can search for the topic.
    As for shifter bushings yeah they should again the topic has been covered its a cheap enough upgrade that is well worth it. I would go with kartboy but there are other brands.

OEM left After market right a lot less flex or give even if the oem were new deff a difference go with front and rear.

Suspension (to butt in) get swaybars endlinks and bushings strut tower not as noticeable of an upgrade comparted to the others. just keep looking up on the forums most of your answers there here just take time to read.
    Last edited by cflip2x; 09-02-2014 at 09:14 PM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

if your under warranty DO NOT get it tuned until you hit resonable mileage. your warranty will be void so when that good old boxer engine comes a knockin your gonna be walkin. especially if its not tuned right. becuase subaru doesnt cover warranty after the ecu is flashed. and buy the parts and install them yourself alot of that stuff is easy just a little time consuming.

I recommend suspension because, if your going to be putting that much power to the wheels, wouldn't you want a stable base. I also have a 2013 sedan and besides my axle back exhaust I plan on doing soon, I'm going to invest in great suspension and bushings. These cars were designed to go more than in a straight line. Don't you want your car to stay planted in a corner vs some body roll? I think that's what's sets us a part from the other guys. Can't touch us in a straight away and definitely can't hang in a cornering contest. Food for thought. In short, if you can minimize how many things twist and flex with bushings also you can put a little more power to the pavement.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.